$1.5 Million for 24 Songs

CrystalLake

• Members

The jury in her third trial has just ruled that Thomas-Rasset should pay Capitol Records $1.5 million, CNET reports, which breaks down to $62,500 per song. It's a heavy penalty considering the 24 tunes would only cost approximately $24 on iTunes

http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/amplifier/148/minnesota-mom-hit-with-15-million-fine-for-downloading-24-songs/

I had a friend who was taken to court while I was in college for downloading on Limewire. His settlement was $3,200 (before court costs) for 15 songs. After that moment, I refused to download anything illegally, and I canned my file-sharing program(s).

Now, I'm the person that refuses to illegally download music, movies, software, etc., but this punishment is just down-right ridiculous.

• Members

Overly-litigious society is overly-litigious.

How does that teach this lady a lesson? You've effectively ruined her financially for the rest of her life. Is that supposed to make the RIAA feel better? Do they ever hope to actually see a single dime of that money? EVER?

This kind of {censored} is absolutely beyond the realm of human understanding. Punishment =/= crime.

• Members

Cases like this don't act as a cautionary tale as the RIAA would like to believe, they just make millions of people look for more private ways than Limewire or torrents to stick it to them. It's easy to find alternatives and hopefully more people are encouraged by things like this.

• Members

Right, this is not a "cautionary tale", it's just another example of how completely {censored}ed our system can be and how completely bat{censored} crazy the RIAA actually is.

If they think for a SECOND that this case is going to suddenly cause moms everywhere to stop downloading Nickelback, they're high off their asses.

• Members

Even if she were somehow able to pay up, what are the odds that the artists whose music was downloaded illegally will see any of it?

Again, zero.

If I were an artist and she had downloaded MY music, I'd have done everything in my power to get the RIAA to drop the lawsuit. Assuming I had that kind of pull.

• Members

what happens in these types of cases where the lady obviously can't pay?

can she just declare bankruptcy, forget about her 1.5million$ debt, and go on with her life dealing with her wreaked credit?

in which case she better start maxing out her credit cards since she won't have to pay those back either.

i can just imagine the rig i'd get if i had to blow 20G in a week. lol

• Members

They can go to hell.

Wont {censored}ing support new artists unless they are a Gaga or Nickleback clone, overprice music on CD and downloads, sue for ridiculous amounts the very people that couldn't afford their music in the first place, and of course give pennies on the dollar to the so called "artists".

Really, the whole {censored}ing lot of them can die under a pile of elephant dung.

• Members

way off topic, I purchased most of my rig with credit then worked overtime and paid off the debt quickly with cash. I may file bankruptcy soon, can the banks come and take my rig even though I paid off that debt with cash? thanks...l

I'd hide that {censored}. But typically they won't come after stuff like that unless its just WAAAAAY beyond what any normal human would have.

• Members

way off topic, I purchased most of my rig with credit then worked overtime and paid off the debt quickly with cash. I may file bankruptcy soon, can the banks come and take my rig even though I paid off that debt with cash? thanks...l

So you paid off your debt, but still want to file for bankruptcy? Seems odd to me.

IMO, filing for bankruptcy is not a wise move. Credit Card companies are willing to work with anyone that is willing to work with them. If you keep brushing them off, they get more persistent. If you want to pay {censored} off, they can set you up on some nice plans, and most of the time, take a percent off.

Archived