OT: Official Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Pt 1 Thread *SPOILERS*

jhamnett

• Members

So this movie was pretty effing epic. I was concerned about splitting the book into two parts, but there's a ton of material here to work with so it made sense. I just felt that this was the first HP movie to effectively capture the pacing of the book. It really nailed the mood and sense of dread you got from the book... in my opinion, best HP movie yet and it's great because I felt the last two didn't do that, capture the mood and pacing adequately. Can't wait for part two!

OK, so discussion and spoilers if you want to follow. If you haven't read the books or seen the movie, GET THE {censored} OUT, WE WILL SPOIL IT FOR YOU!

• Members

The last two were are joke. I've yet to see this but I'll try to catch it tonight. I've heard it was pretty epic too. That's what they should have done with Order of the Phoenix and Half-Blood Prince. I though HBP was completely destroyed. :facepalm:

• Members
The last two were are joke. I've yet to see this but I'll try to catch it tonight. I've heard it was pretty epic too. That's what they should have done with Order of the Phoenix and Half-Blood Prince. I though HBP was completely destroyed.
:facepalm:

My favorite until DHPt1 was Goblet of Fire. Maybe not the best story out of all of them, but definitely the best movie (coherent story, decent pacing, everything made sense). The past two were just sloppy, embarrassingly so.

• Members

'There's someone watching us'

Whole cinema erupts with laughter. Most poorly scripted moment in film history?

What part was that, Kreacher?

I mean, I don't expect Tarantino-esque dialogue on all these HP movies... but I don't mind the occasional bad/dumb line for these. If you want to compare the script to the past two, it's miles ahead of the last two.

• Members
'There's someone watching us'

Whole cinema erupts with laughter. Most poorly scripted moment in film history?

Every movie rips off "Pierrot Le Fou". :p Go to 5:55 and wait about 12 seconds. First time in history that was done on film.

[YOUTUBE]xJctgdSJ6II[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

I thought it was a good movie. Though they did {censored} up some parts. Here is a drunk facebook post I did on someones wall, but I think it accurately describes some {censored} I didn't like.

Draco and his family we're featured a lot more in the book, Draco had this bad boy complex he was suppose to sort out that never really happened in the movie.

I'm also upset with the complete skip over of the scene with Dudley and Harry shaking hands, and Harry saying goodbye to the Dursleys for the last time. That was a pretty intense moment in the book that humanized a figure that every reader loathed so much.

Also the Hedwig scene? Anyone who read the book would be a little disappointed there.

• Members

I kinda thought it sucked. I was frankly bored. I've really enjoyed all of the other HP movies. Haven't read the books, I will eventually. And I understand this movie was "half" of the last book, and it felt like it. I watched half a movie. I sort of felted cheated in a sense. But basically, while there was some good parts to it, I was {censored}in bored. Even my wife was too, and she's a huge fan. I hope the final movie is better. Also, this is not really a kid's movie anymore, and it isn't meant to be, much like the book. They're grown up now, with grown up like problems. But that doesn't matter to me, I go to the movies to be entertained, and I was really let down by this one.

• Members

I'd say it was very good, not as good as The Goblet of Fire though. Easily the best so far.

Some of the acting really bugged me (waiting about 10 secs to come in with the next line? come on), and there were a few skimped details that would have been nice to have been included, but ah well. Still a great watch, and it captured the atmosphere of the book very well.

Part 2 is going to be absolutely great though, methinks.

• Members

Awwww. You all love Harry Potter. You're all so cute I could eat you up.

Sorry, I've just never 'got' Harry Potter at all. Books or films. I kind of want to see the one Alfonso Cauron directed but that's about it. Someone explain it to me and entice me into watching the series. It just seems like some epic coming of age drama with wands and alot of flying about all the time. :idk:

• Members

I just got back from this movie.

Part of the weakness in the premise of magic being real is the arbitrary nature of when it works and doesn't work. There just seemed to be too many moments when the kids were helpless, or suddenly empowered, for no particularly good reason.

Also, there were too few moments featuring anything new on the screen. They left out extended views of animated things like the Maurader's Map which was pretty delightful-looking on the screen previously. So much more could have been done with the CG stuff rather than simply having people flying around, lots of smoke and dust, and lightning bolts shooting out of wands. There wasn't one single piece of "living" candy or anything of that sort, no crazy weird little animals, and the newspapers only had black and white moving images with really bad print quality. At least something they looked at in print should have been in color.

Another thing that was bothersome was the constant change in size and shape of Hermione's breasts (Emma's 20 now). Sometimes she looked completely flat, other times they way pumped-up her cleavage. It was too weird. It's like she had 3 different styles of bras and a dozen changes of clothing along in her bag full of everything. Pick a breast size and stick with it.

When Ron finally uses the sword to destroy the horcrux, the stupid thing goads him into it. That's just ridiculous. It should have continued to manipulate him with fear, not piss him off. I found that moment incredibly stupid, that sudden change in his mood from being completely terrified to being totally pissed. Seriously dumb.

One more complaint: The movie was dull. I don't mean it wasn't attempting to be exciting, I mean that it was very dim, very low-light. I know they wanted to make it look dreary but wow, I felt like I had to squint to see things sometimes in all that murk. It was like the Godfather sometimes.

I give this movie a 5 out of 10.

/rant

• Members

I won't disagree with you at all. Some day I will. BUT, I've never really had a problem following any of the movies in spite of not reading them. The problem this time, and Z Vex touches on some of my complaints better than I did, it just wasn't that great a film, too much stuff didn't happen that should happen, and vice versa. And it was dark, as in not much light. I dunno, I was up for it, just felt disappointed. Not a terribly waste of time or money, just not what I hoped for I guess.

• Members

Zvex is a pervy old man, but I agree with his points about the arbitrary nature of the use of magic and the scene with Ron and the horcrux.

Good movie, glad I read the books first, even more so with this movie as a lot was skimmed over despite the movie only covering the first half of the book.

EDIT: Sorry IRG, thought I had time before my post would have been responded too. For everyone else, I basically said that he cheated himself by not reading the books before this movie (in particular) because that background knowledge was pre-requisite for being able to find entertainment in the "boring" parts.

Archived