OT: Official Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Pt 1 Thread *SPOILERS*

jhamnett

• Members

I went to see it, never read the books. Very little purpose to the movie... a lot of scenes of being in a tent in the forest or somewhere out in nature reading a book wandering around aimlessly. A movie needs to have a driving force behind it and this movie went I don't know where really....

Things that don't make sense to me...

- Let's get Harry to a safe secret place like a wedding with a ton of guests!

- Why is Harry still living in that house / with that family. If I would have his step parents he would have been out the door a long time ago.

- Why the difficulty of the trip (motorcycle, etc...) if they can just disappear to any place they want in the blink of a wand.

- As for Zachs comments on the breasts, the scene where Ron sees them kissing is very airbrushy / CGI ish... no need for it. Just show them kissing with clothes on.

- The story behind the Deathly Hallows is pretty cool and it doesn't really sound like the focus of the movie at all.

Overall 6.5/10 will probably watch the next one... I think the movie is probably way better to people that have read the book.

• Members

- Why the difficulty of the trip (motorcycle, etc...) if they can just disappear to any place they want in the blink of a wand.

Because apparating (what you're referring too) is regulated and monitored by the Ministry of Magic, which is explained as having been infiltrated by the Death Eaters. Not only that, but because of the dangers of apparating (as seen when Ron's arm is seriously mangled), minors are strictly prohibited from doing so.

Short answer: Even more dangerous than making the trip by flying motorcycle.

• Members

- Why is Harry still living in that house / with that family. If I would have his step parents he would have been out the door a long time ago.

He has to go back to the Dursleys to keep the protection bestowed in him by his parents working. If he didn't, it would disappear and anyone could kill him. This also wears off once he turned 17, hence the mad dash to try and kill him in the beginning. It happens on his birthday.

• Members

I went to see it, never read the books. Very little purpose to the movie... a lot of scenes of being in a tent in the forest or somewhere out in nature reading a book wandering around aimlessly. A movie needs to have a driving force behind it and this movie went I don't know where really....

Speaking for people who've read the books, I have to disagree. The real purpose for the movie was for the kids to find out how to take down Voldemort. Yeah, a movie focused mostly on finding a purpose and that can be unexciting material for some, but if you were invested in the series, you realize that it wasn't going to be the easiest task. There was a genuine struggle. With Dumbledore gone, they had no guidance. He was their mentor, and they relied so much on his advice, even though it was often cryptic.

So add to their sense of being lost a backdrop of dread and hopelessness, and you really capture the mood of the first half of the last book. Trust me, you'll appreciate this movie much more when Part 2 comes out just because it's setting up everything so well, while they were still able to accomplish the feat of finding a strategy to take down the dark lord.

• Members

He has to go back to the Dursleys to keep the protection bestowed in him by his parents working. If he didn't, it would disappear and anyone could kill him. This also wears off once he turned 17, hence the mad dash to try and kill him in the beginning. It happens on his birthday.

See you have to have read the book to 'get' that...

• Members

I didn't dislike it.

However, it boils down to 2.5 hours of "setup for part 2".

Too much running away, hiding in the woods. Running away, hiding in a house. Running away, not killing dudes, then running away again. There were some pretty damned cool moments (ron and harry finding the sword/destroying the "first" hoarcrux)

I still think that up to this point, Prisoner of Azkaban was by far the best potter film.

That being said, the movie did prompt me to finally read the last book, for what that's worth.

• Members

Speaking for people who've read the books, I have to disagree. The real purpose for the movie was for the kids to find out how to take down Voldemort. Yeah, a movie focused mostly on finding a purpose and that can be unexciting material for some, but if you were invested in the series, you realize that it wasn't going to be the easiest task. There was a genuine struggle. With Dumbledore gone, they had no guidance. He was their mentor, and they relied so much on his advice, even though it was often cryptic.

So add to their sense of being lost a backdrop of dread and hopelessness, and you really capture the mood of the first half of the last book. Trust me, you'll appreciate this movie much more when Part 2 comes out just because it's setting up everything so well, while they were still able to accomplish the feat of finding a strategy to take down the dark lord.

I think this is a good post, and it does make me want to read all of the books now. This was a movie that is basically setting the stage for the last movie, and as such, felt like it. I was getting into the movie more towards the end of it, and then it just ended fairly abruptly. You wanted more, and you have to wait until July 2011. Boo.

• Members

I think this is a good post, and it does make me want to read all of the books now. This was a movie that is basically setting the stage for the last movie, and as such, felt like it. I was getting into the movie more towards the end of it, and then it just ended fairly abruptly. You wanted more, and you have to wait until July 2011. Boo.

Just think about what they actually accomplished this movie... starting from NOTHING and have no hope:

- transported Harry to "safety" after his birthday removing the protection of the Dursleys

- reclaimed the locket from Umbridge (infiltrating the Ministry of Magic, no less)

- obtained the Sword of Gryffindor

- destroyed the locket/horcrux

- learned of the deathly hallows (which isn't evident how they'll play but it's the title so you should think it's important)

- escaping the snatchers and Bellatrix allowing them to continue with a new vision for destroying Voldemort

So there was a decent amount of the plot moved. I dunno, if you didn't read the book I guess the mood and pacing would seem slow. My gf and I were glued to our seats, and she hadn't read the books either. She thought that more things made sense in this one versus the last two.

• Members

It seemed to me that there was just so much assumed knowledge.

As has been mentioned earlier there was no explanation of why Harry returned to the Dursley's.

As I'd read the books it was no problem for me, but to those that hadn't read the books the details were just lacking.

• 5 months later...

Archived