October New Gear Thread

Don Solaris

• Replies 552
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Congrats soundxplorer, both on the Nord Lead and on your B-day!

I've been really curious as to how the NL compares to the NL2X sound-wise. I used to play them in stores when I didn't know a thing about synthesis yet I knew I wanted one. Haven't been as excited about the other Nord Leads.

• Members

Congrats soundxplorer, both on the Nord Lead and on your B-day!

I've been really curious as to how the NL compares to the NL2X sound-wise. I used to play them in stores when I didn't know a thing about synthesis yet I knew I wanted one. Haven't been as excited about the other Nord Leads.

Some people will say the original sounds better, but from what I can tell they sound the same. The Lead 2 added a few minor features, polyphony and an extra set of outputs.

Some people say the keys feel better on the original Lead, but I've never compared them side by side. I went with the original just because it was a great price (about half of what the 2X is going for).

• Members

asr10ruh5.jpg

Welcome to the club! :thu:

My ASR-10R has problems with SCSI. :( It cracks and clicks, whatever i load in it via scsi. Loading via floppy is ok, but i don't want that.

BTW drill holes above display area, this place gets too hot because power supply is right below. And install a fan. Any tech can do that in one afternoon. Also drill holes above RAM. And you ASR will live long and work good. It will never crash.

• Members

Welcome to the club!
:thu:

My ASR-10R has problems with SCSI.
:(
It cracks and clicks, whatever i load in it via scsi. Loading via floppy is ok, but i don't want that.

BTW drill holes above display area, this place gets too hot because power supply is right below. And install a fan. Any tech can do that in one afternoon. Also drill holes above RAM. And you ASR will live long and work good. It will never crash.

I've wanted one for a long long time mainly for it's transwave capabilities and punchy analog sound. I plan to get all the waveboy stuff for it. I've thought about getting a TS, but since the last 2 years the price has gone from $500 to double. Thanks Don :p;) No, but I've enjoyed everything you've wrote about it over at Sealed's page. Great info! I also plan to run this sucker through some analog filters from my Sunsyn and future modular purchases (those will have to wait though).

I've heard these can get pretty hot and that they shouldn't be keep on for long periods of time or left unsupervised. I haven't noticed a lot of people who have vented their ASR racks. I'll have to think about it because the guy I bought it from had it since 94 or so (or at least he said he's had experience with the ASR since then).

• Members

I've thought about getting a TS, but since the last 2 years the price has gone from $500 to double. Thanks Don
:p;)
No, but I've enjoyed everything you've wrote about it over at Sealed's page. Great info!

Price went triple. They were $450. But it doesn't have anything to do with my article. I don't think anyone is interested in 2 minute evolving textures made of a single chord and a couple of Hyperwaves (wavesequence).

I believe it is the build quality and keyboard action what live musicians want. I think that's why price went up.

• Members

technicall ynot really october new gear, 'cos i got this as a christmas present/reward for finishing the studio renovation for myself, so once i've sorted out a couple of minor issues with it, it's getting wrapped until december 25th:

5c56_12.jpg

Congrats!

Im really missing mine.

Sold it to fund an XTk which, in a complete cock-up, was sold to someone else :facepalm:

Archived