October New Gear Thread

Don Solaris

• Replies 552
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Anonymous

Agreed ... I'm actually looking at picking up a drumstation/bassstation combo ...

I has this threesome too.

:thu:

ABD

• Members

Blue LEDs are so 1990s... I'm waiting for the first synth to come out with pink/violet LEDs (you can get them at RadioShack).

I need to replace the midi message LED on my MKS-80, I could get creative with the color. :D

• Members

BECAUSE IT HAS IT VEGAS MODE!!! I WANT VEGAS MODE! EVERY SYNTH SHOULD HAZ VEGA$ MODE!!!!

VegasCowboy.JPG

Sorry, I'm missing the reference. Are you talking about all the crazy LEDs flashing around?

By the way, many people are saying that the OS is no longer developed and it has many bugs. Sometimes they have to boot it with a special button sequence after it locks-up. Is any of this true?

• Members

I don't know anything about Andromeda's "Vegas" mode, nor do I think its flashy.

Everything with software has bugs. Even analog has bugs (a certain ARP filter comes to mind). I think the A6 is extremely stable. I think it may have crashed once on me, and the digital effect was stuck on 1 effect until I did a hard reset (not just a power cycle but pushing the secret button during booting). There are some missing features, poly aftertouch would be nice (to receive let alone send/play but nothing show stopping.

I have thought of selling mine on occasion, its so deep that sometimes I long for a Juno with only 10 parameters. It can take some patience but the results are worth it. The synth is amazing.

In fact the more I use it the more I understand why it wouldn't show well in a music store show room. Presets as usual are personal taste. The digital effects which aren't actually too bad can trick the mind into thinking "this must not be analog" when there are ping pong delays coming straight from the synth. Background and temperature tuning have to be configured to taste. Simple things like letting the LFOs freerun rather than sync breathe a lot of "analog" goodness into patches (and by default I think they sync). Changing drive levels into the filters (and VCA a little) changes the sound drastically. Filter feedback is uncommon and difficult to master. The onboard distortion which many people hate can sound quite nice.

Sigh, this isn't even a praise A6 thread.

• Members

Two more Andromeda tidbits.

The pushbuttons require a firm, committed press which I don't really like. Gear without a very responsive interface really bothers me (my x0xb0x has this problem too). I've designed circuits using cheap push buttons that are wonderfully responsive, why can't you/they?

And if I were to design an Andromeda I would probably have made the softknobs encoders rather than pots. The soft knobs are often used in a digital configuration (turn something on/off) which would be better served with an encoder. They are also used for setting something to a precise value which would also be nicer with an encoder. This is more of a suggestion than a complaint, the pots work fine.

• Members

The pushbuttons require a firm, committed press which I don't really like. Gear without a very responsive interface really bothers me (my x0xb0x has this problem too).

RS-7000 same problem. Drove me crazy to the point i've put the machine aside and will wait till i find new micro pushbuttons to replace existing ones. Problem is, these are not standard 4-legs, but 2 leg microbuttons (so you can't modify the 4-leg ones). I still haven't found them online.

• Members

Hmm pushbuttons on my Andromeda seem fine, no different from any of my other gear, I certainly don't have issues with pressing a button and not seeing the result of the press.

I do agree about the knobs- especially when selecting a mod parameter (eg / LFO etc) - as they are very sensitive, you need to be careful when dialling something in, its easy to 'go past' a selection..

Archived