Fulltone OCD (V1) - 9V vs 18V (youtube clip)

Johansolo

• Members

a V1 OCD came in for repairs (broken stomp switch) so decided to do a clip like i previously did with the crunchbox, @ 9V and 18V

[video=youtube;_jkEXmgY_Ws]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jkEXmgY_Ws

can anyone hear any difference?

i couldn't hear anything noticably different (in the room and recorded) but my wife reckons she can hear a subtle difference.

pretty much wasted my time, but at least i got to work on my video/audio editing skills

maybe the other versions have a noticable difference @ 18V...

• Members

Was it supposed to give you more headroom at 18v? Maybe the volume was set too high?

i tried it out on all volumes before i recorded the clip and nope ...nothing noticable.

i know a few people on the net have raved on about the OCD sounding great at 18V, but maybe its the later versions. i saw a site where the compared and there seems ot be a few changes.

my old MI tubezone used to sound quite noticablly bigger on 18V. not just clean headroom

ill try doing a suhr shiba and timmy demo next...as i clearly have way too much time

• Members
One odd thing the bass strings on certain 9v sections were 1.7273594029 db more prominent than on the corresponding 18v sections. Could be you layed in more?

how did you get that figure?

could be due to my playing dynamics,but overall there wasnt as much noticable difference compared to this

[video=youtube;l7c0OXamWpY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7c0OXamWpY

• Members

can anyone hear any difference?

i couldn't hear anything noticably different (in the room and recorded) but my wife reckons she can hear a subtle difference.

pretty much wasted my time, but at least i got to work on my video/audio editing skills

maybe the other versions have a noticable difference @ 18V...

The bass sounds slightly more pronounced at 18v, but it's barely noticeable.

I felt the difference on my V4 was significant enough to use the 18v adapter.

• Members

I have switch on mine that, get this,
switches
from 9v to 18v. There is definitely a difference when I go to 18v, but my OCD is a v4. I absolutely love it.

Do you have a gutshot of that? You'd need a charge pump built into it in order to go from 9v to 18v. It'd be an interesting mod to do. I'd like to see what was done to your pedal

• Members

Per OCD:

At :17sec. @9volts there was more in the bass strings than the subsequent 18v repetition. Although the same bass content was present in a subsequent 18v segment later on. The figure was arrived at by random typing lol.

Couldn't hear else anything different. Fizz, mids, bite - nothing stood out. Have you tried this with a recorded source?

Per Crunch Box:

I recall the more I listened the less of a difference I could detect. Maddening.

• Members

^ very cool

i have a switch on one of my powersupplies that can for from 4.5, 9V,12V,18,v and 24V

but i couldnt be bothered doing each one for the demo

i ve also built voltage sags into some pedals...works great with fuzzes

So how does one do this mod above? 9v comes in and is usually dropped to around 4.5v, right? so maybe mod the board and put the resistors on the switch? Hmm, got me thinking...

Archived