What are some good slide tunings?

hangwire

• Members

Traded a pedal for a '61 harmony Stella acoustic with high action, so going to use it a's a guitar to learn some dirty dirty blues slide technique... Is there a good tuning for this style of music? Never got into this KK d of slide guitar before

Thanks!

• Members

I really like open C: CGCGCE.

Many blues players use open G or D (DADF#AD).

G was popular with the Delta guys, and D was popular with the Chicago slide guys, with lots of overlap between the two, of course.

To take a little pressure off the neck, you can tune to G or D and then capo the second fret to get open A or E.

Open D Minor is cool, too.

• Members

Start on DADF#AD. Make up riffs using the open chords and slide on the 3rd fret. Get used to using a slide on the 5th and 7th frets. Listen to Ry Cooder. Listen to Duane. Listen to Seasick Steve. Develop your vibrato, not too much. Work out how to fret a minor chord with and without the slide. Mix and match fretting notes with the slide.

• Members

I'm afraid I don't know a lot about dirty slide blues. :lol::o

I use a slide quite a bit, but mainly to emulate a lap steel in a Gilmourish sort of way. In standard tuning.

Anyway, he's used open E minor and open G. To be honest, I'd try any major or minor open tuning, as any doublestop you try will work. Develop from there. :thu:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

All of them are great fun. My favorite on a round neck, open low G DBGDGD (high to low strings) is great for several reasons. Lots of slide blues stuff recorded on it. It doubles as a good backwoods "country sounding" open tuning when finger picked. Other tunings (including open E) have you tune up the strings from standard tuning, open low G you tune down the strings from standard tuning and also allows you can use a standard guitar set. This helps with less tension on the strings, neck, and less string breaks. The other cool part about learning on that tuning is that open high G which is DBGDBG is the tuning most commonly found on Dobro. You can use all your licks from the high four strings and transition over to Dobro easy as pie, in fact if you notice you actually have two octaves that allow you to repeat the same licks played on the first three strings over to the last three strings to mix it up. So whatever slide licks you learned on the first three strings of the low G tuning you can repeat on both octaves on the high G tuning.

I like open G, open E and standard tuning for slide. Open D is cool too. I don't mess with DADGAD much, but I have a friend who really likes it. One nice thing about open G is that banjo chords will work with it, so if you know how to play banjo, you can transition to it fairly easily.

Archived