WAYYYYYYYY OT: WARNING, Windows 7 Service Pack 1 issues!!!

jhamnett

• Members

Hey everybody, wanted to put out this WARNING about Windows 7 Service Pack 1. I was not able to boot my computer at all this weekend due to an issue with the SP1. Basically, if you have display languages installed in addition to the default (likely English for most of us), then you might run into this error. The solution is to go into Control Panel -> Clock, Language, and Region -> Install or Uninstall Display Languages. Then uninstall all display languages except for your default. It'll take some time, and will actually free up a few GB on your drive. Then the SP1 is safe to install.

Just figured I'd throw that out there since it was frustrating not to have my computer boot. Had to run some more serious troubleshooting stuff on my computer because of this and it was pretty damn frustrating.

/PSA

• Members

clayton--love you bro, but i've had just as many problems with my iphone as i've had with my windows computers. just sayin'.

Luckily my iPhone was fine so I was able to search a solution. If anyone is having major issues with booting after installing this, PM me!

• Members

clayton--love you bro, but i've had just as many problems with my iphone as i've had with my windows computers. just sayin'.

I haven't had any problems w/ my iPhone. And like, one w/ my iMac (that was easily fixed). :)

• Members

apple stuff is great, disposable after two years, but great.

Wha?!?! I'm running an original MacBook from 2006. It works just fine for me.

I think the one thing you CAN'T say about Apple stuff is that it is "disposable."

• Members

well if you mean it's out of date in two years then yeah, but no more than any other computer.

my 2007 macbook is going strong and i've never had a problem with it. it even boots up in exactly the same time as it did when new (32 seconds) which i can't say for any windows machine i've had. horrible slowdown after a few years' use.

not that i want to turn this into a windows vs mac thread but

• Members

I think i know what the problem is...

windows_logo.jpg

• Members

i would hope you have a current back up, so that when you have to boot from the disc and probably format and reinstall you don't loose much.

Try to boot from your os disc if you can.

I've already fixed it. And I didn't have to reformat. But, yes, needed to boot from my OS disk into the recovery tools and get into the command prompt.

• Members

apple stuff is great, disposable after two years, but great.

They will undoubtedly come out with newer cooler stuff in two years but that doesn't make a two year old Apple computer obsolete. Far from it. In my experience they last (both in terms of the actual hardware life and the usability of the computer itself in the face of technological progress) quite a long time.

edit - and so as not to take sides, I have apple computers but they both have windows on them in addition to osx.

• Members

I've already fixed it. And I didn't have to reformat. But, yes, needed to boot from my OS disk into the recovery tools and get into the command prompt.

Good to hear. My last windows box loved to have its OS reinstalled.... on a regular basis...

I use windows 7 at work and it is better than previous iterations of the software it still annoys me to death after years of using OSX...

cheers

• Members

They will undoubtedly come out with newer cooler stuff in two years but that doesn't make a two year old Apple computer obsolete. Far from it. In my experience they last (both in terms of the actual hardware life and the usability of the computer itself in the face of technological progress) quite a long time.

Agree'd, i'm still using my original core duo MBP... {censored} is old but functional.

Archived