Bands that are awesome, but the singer just drags them down......

companyman

• Members

Some of the answers in this thread really surprised me. I totally agree with the RHCP example, but almost every other band mentioned here would be nothing without their vocalist. It seems like a lot of you are really closed off to different kinds of voices. I get that Corgan grates on people, but thats the whole point. Its supposed to be abrasive. I know that Ian Curtis and J Mascis mumble a lot. Since when was clarity necessary for purveying emotion?

And the National? Seriously? Matt Berninger has one of the most engaging and interesting voices out there at the moment.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Minus the Bear!!!

I saw them live a few years back, a lil before Planet of Ice hit the shelves... was so psyched to hear them in all their glory, as Menos el Oso and Refined Pirates really blew my mind, and "Absinthe Party' was pretty much mine and my friends' anthem for a psychedelic filled summer. Jake definitely cannot hold his end of the songs up live. Rather quickly into the set, his voice was straining big time. total wompwomp.

• Members

Rush, oh god, Rush soooo much.... Geddy's voice combined with the drummer writing the lyrics. I love a great deal of their music but.....shudder.

I agree. I love them, but Peart's lyrics can get pretty crazy. Doesn't get much better than the Necromancer.

I. Into The Darkness

"As gray traces of dawn tinge the eastern sky, the three travelers, men of Willowdale, emerge from the forest shadow. Fording the River Dawn, they turn south, journeying into the dark and forbidding lands of the Necromancer.

Even now the intensity of his dread power can be felt, weakening the body and saddening the heart.

Ultimately they will become empty, mindless spectres; stripped of will and soul, only their thirst for freedom gives them hunger for vengeance..."

Silence shrouds the forest

As the birds announce the dawn

Three travelers ford the river

And southward journey on

The road is lined with peril

The air is charged with fear

The shadow of his nearness

Weighs like iron tears

II. Under the Shadow

"Shreds of black cloud loom in overcast skies. The Necromancer keeps watch with his magic prism eyes. He views all his lands and is already aware of the three helpless invaders trapped in his lair..."

Brooding in the tower

Watching o'er his land

Holding ev'ry creature

Helplessly they stand

Gaze into his prisms

Knowing they are near

Lead them to the dungeons

Spectres numb with fear

They bow defeated

III. Return of the Prince

"Enter the Champion.

Prince By-Tor appears to battle for freedom from chains of long years.

The spell has been broken; the Dark Lands are bright. The Wraith of the Necromancer soars away in the night."

Stealthily attacking

By-Tor slays his foe

The men are free to run now

From labyrinths below

The Wraith of the Necromancer

Shadows through the sky

Another land to darken

With evil prism eye.

Whoah

• Members

Here's an interesting proposition.

Two bands are looking for new guitarists.

Band A has an incredible rhythm section, but the singer is {censored}.

Band B has a fantastic singer/lyricist but the rhythm section is average as.

Which do you join?

The band with the {censored}ty singer, I could replace him.

Good rhythm section can make up for a bad singer, but it rarely, if at all works vice versa.

Also, a quick review of the thread led me to the conclusion that you guys are DEAF.

• Members

...or Led Zeppelin, not quite as awful as Morrissey, but Plant's voice is aggravating like a screaming baby, or a nagging wife screeching for you to attend to the screaming baby. Ducks the flying bottles and rotten vegetables.....

THANK. YOU. Why anybody likes that whiney voiced screecher's attempts to ruin the products of the 3 of the best musicians ever is beyond me.

• Members

THANK. YOU. Why anybody likes that whiney voiced screecher's attempts to ruin the products of the 3 of the best musicians ever is beyond me.

Cos he's a good frontman, has a good voice, knows how to sing at keep in pitch(most of the time) and mainly because he has a powerful voice.

Nobody really gives a {censored} if you sound like Pavarotti, it's as long as you can deliver with power that really matters.

Same as you dont have to be a virtuoso with the guitar to make the scream for more, look at Angus Young for {censored}s sake.

He's one of the most awesome guitarists ever and his technical ability is no greater than mine.

• Members

Since no one seems to listen, I'll try to explain why Anthony Kiedis is THE worst singer in one of the best bands in the world:

-His lyrics are like improvised shildish rhymes that don't make ANY sense at all.

-He can't hold a tune to save his life. Anyone who's seen the rhcp live knows that every vocal track on their records took a lot of takes and studio magic.

-He's got the charisma of a gay baboon, and he moves like one too. And he thinks he's god's gift to women, his ego is about as big as Bonio's.

-The other guys in the band play like their instruments are directly connected to their souls, and are insanely talented. The singer drags the band down like a mill stone.

• Members

Minus the Bear!!!

I saw them live a few years back, a lil before Planet of Ice hit the shelves... was so psyched to hear them in all their glory, as Menos el Oso and Refined Pirates really blew my mind, and "Absinthe Party' was pretty much mine and my friends' anthem for a psychedelic filled summer. Jake definitely cannot hold his end of the songs up live. Rather quickly into the set, his voice was straining big time. total wompwomp.

For a band with musicians THAT sick, his singing is indeed kinda lame sometimes, especially live.

• Members

no arguments here, but Morrissey is just waaaaay more aggravating to me. Plus I don't find RHCP at all interesting musically. I go to P-Funk for my Funk, and the vocals are awesome!

Different strokes ofcourse...

But no one claimed RHCP are funk, at least not in the same way as P-funk. Mother's Milk was badass, and BSSM is THE {censored}.

Not talking about everything after that though, I wouldn't even want to torture my worst enemy by forcing him to listen to shallow meaningless annoying kintergarten crap like "hey oh". It's the most uninspired radio friendly bull{censored} to ever have come from a band that was once ground breaking creative and talented. Weezer being a close second.

As for The Smith...We're just gonna have to agree to disagree. It's a required taste, you either love The Mosser or you hate him. The Smiths = Morrissey. Johny Marr is one of my guitar heroes, but he's nothing without Morrissey.

• Members

Different strokes ofcourse...

But no one claimed RHCP are funk, at least not in the same way as P-funk. Mother's Milk was badass, and BSSM is THE {censored}.

Not talking about everything after that though, I wouldn't even want to torture my worst enemy by forcing him to listen to shallow meaningless annoying kintergarten crap like "hey oh". It's the most uninspired radio friendly bull{censored} to ever have come from a band that was once ground breaking creative and talented. Weezer being a close second.

As for The Smith...We're just gonna have to agree to disagree. It's a required taste, you either love The Mosser or you hate him. The Smiths = Morrissey. Johny Marr is one of my guitar heroes, but he's nothing without Morrissey.

that last bit, seriously? Different strokes for sure.

P.S. are you from the UK?

Archived