Bands that are awesome, but the singer just drags them down......

companyman

• Members

as much as it pains me to say this about one of my favorite bands, it is true. HR also lost his mind with all of the gay bashing bull{censored}, what a dick.

For me Quickness was the last album where they were a cohesive band. And it would be a masterpiece if it wasn't for Don't Blow No Bubbles. There have been a couple of interviews I've read where they now regret that song.

Even before that it was apparent that HR wanted to be doing something different as evidenced by his solo stuff. It's apparent that from God Of Love on that they are on very different musical pages to the point of when Takes A Nation came out it was like HR went to one studio to lay down vocals, while the rest band went to a separate one to lay down the music. Then they mixed them together and somehow decided it was an album. That's the only explanation I can think of for why it turned out so poorly.

Also, Rise doesn't count as a Bad Brains album.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

For me that was the last album where they were a cohesive band. Even before then it was apparent that HR wanted to be doing something different as evidenced by his solo stuff. It's apparent that from God Of Love on that they are on very different musical pages to the point of when Takes A Nation came out it was like HR went to one studio to lay down vocals, while the rest band went to a separate one to lay down the music. Then they mixed them together and somehow decided it was an album. That's the only explanation I can think of for why it turned out so poorly.

Also, Rise doesn't count as a Bad Brains album.

I gave up on them when I heard God of Love, and as far as Rise, no HR, no Bad Brains.

• Members

Jack White and Geddy Lee.....eeeeew.

I was just recently listening to White Stripes' "Icky Thump" and "Instinct Blues" and thinking to myself that Jack White rocks balls. I'm speechless.

Geddy Lee is a tough one. I realize that a lot of people don't get his voice. But I adore his sense of melody for the kind of music RUSH does. He spends a lot of time coming up with great melodies unlike a lot of heavy prog rockers who put more energy into technical flash. And let's face it, he carries off those high notes night after night throughout their tours. Total respect for him.

Anyway, just adding to the conversation. To each his own :thu:

• Members

I can take or leave their music, but I still listen to their first album for his singing.

Cochise is quite good, I suppose. I don't know... It just doesn't do anything for me anymore. And I find that Myles Kennedy trumps Cornell vastly, which considering that I like his music much more, works for me...

• Members

When I listen to "When The Levee Breaks" or the climax of "Battle of Evermore," Plant sounds like a man possessed. There have been times I've listened to those songs and had shivers down my spine from the sheer surge of musical power.

I can't disagree with that statement, but he does the lounge lizard thing so well and with such style, and his sense of melody on
Avalon
Boys & Girls
, and
B

• Members

the Smiths, his voice is just too overbearing, I can't hear the music through the adenoidal whining.

My issue with Morrissey is that he seems very lazy about putting effort into his melodies. On occasion he'll find a some really pretty melodic phrases, but too often he sounds like he's just faking his way through it and hoping that the lyrics will carry it all.

• Members

Here's an interesting proposition.

Two bands are looking for new guitarists.

Band A has an incredible rhythm section, but the singer is {censored}.

Band B has a fantastic singer/lyricist but the rhythm section is average as.

Which do you join?

I always go with the good drummer, but I probably wouldn't last long, bad singing ruins bands IMO.

• Members

My issue with Morrissey is that he seems very lazy about putting effort into his melodies. On occasion he'll find a some really pretty melodic phrases, but too often he sounds like he's just faking his way through it and hoping that the lyrics will carry it all.

if I was Johnny Marrs, I 'd be wondering why I keep throwing all of these great melodies and riffs and hooks at the singer, and THAT is what he comes up with?

• Members
Mogwai.

:)

Seriously though, it'd be crazy to just throw some vocals on there or any other post rock band. But that kind of stuff happens. Not so much post rock, but the one album I can think of is Miles Davis - Sorcerer. It's a moody, down-tempo mover by the Miles Davis Quintet (with Herbie Hancock) and then on the last track, someone just starts singing. It completely kills all of the lead up to that point. Turns out it's an outtake from 1962, but it's pretty obvious it doesn't fit.

I know lots of people don't like the post rock. But at least most of them have the sense not to murder their own work by stacking annoying singers on top of it.

• Members

Has Cornell ever stated in an interview where he learned to sing? Is it just crazy genetics? If I sang like him I'd never shutup.

I really like Myles Kennedy's vocals on Slash's song Back To Cali.

I used to really dig his old band, Mayfield Four. Great poppy hard modern rock.

• Members

I agree. Sometimes his phrasing could be iffy. I think he did much better with it in his early solo stuff, which ironically I like less. I think The Smiths were The Smiths because of both Marr and Morrissey and taking Morrissey out of the equation makes them something else entirely.

• Members

tumblr_kuec1sNFn61qzrlhgo1_500.jpg

smarmy lounge singer, and a guy that sings like he is condescending to me, respectively. I repeat the thread title, Bands that are awesome, but the singer drags them down. Zappa is a genius of the highest order, I hold him to be one of the greatest artists of the 20th century, but I can't stand his singing.

Archived