This kinda makes me sad...

scolfax

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

EDIT: hey, is there any way to read those cached pages? if i click on them it just takes me to tgp and obviously the threads have been nuked...
:(

Enter this into Google: site:thegearpage.net "newest d-style pedal!!!" Then click on the "cached" links.

• Members
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdSshwczaTY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdSshwczaTY

What a bummer. Thadeus Hogarth is the man. One time while living in Mission Hill, I was running late to school and while walking down the hill to catch the Green Line, Thaddeus Hogarth pulled up and gave me a ride, pretty much because i had a guitar on my back. Solid dude

• Members

I haven't read all the cached comments but I did read here than when the pedal was outed, some people on TGP posted that it sounded muddy. TGP can be summed up with " I have the latest expensive pedal/amp/guitar and you don't". FB responded by producing just that. :)

RE cost/boutique etc the whole point of the boutique stuff is that it's hand made, top quality and covered by excellent support (ZVex warranty as a case in point). The whole thing about cheap pedals is that they are cheap. I've had them and they've lasted a couple of years tops. I still have Fulltone and ZVex pedals working perfectly after 10 years.

RE sound, the only valid test is you playing your guitar into your amp in the application you use it in. Case in point is the Klon, it's hated here but when I bought one in 2007 to flip I played it in a live band and it's been my fave overdrive since. Solo it sounds like poop. At low volume it sounds like poop. So how can you judge any pedal from Youtube?

• Members
RE cost/boutique etc the whole point of the boutique stuff is that it's hand made, top quality and covered by excellent support (ZVex warranty as a case in point). The whole thing about cheap pedals is that they are cheap. I've had them and they've lasted a couple of years tops.

+1, exactly. And yet when I say that in another thread, I get ridiculed. :confused:

• Members

I haven't read all the cached comments but I did read here than when the pedal was outed, some people on TGP posted that it sounded muddy.

I read through the first half of the comments on that epic thread, and I really loved the guys who said "Sounds OK, nothing special"

• Members

Or, he has an agreement with Joyo and is rebranding them.
:idk:
But if you're correct and that's what's going down, it's more than a little sketchy.

They were sold as "Made in the USA" and "Basement Builds".

Avoid all preconceptions and do "double blind" listening tests. It's the ONLY fair way to do an unbiased evaluation based strictly on sonics.

That's what I was pointing out ;)

That was my point with the "the rest is for knowing how to connect those $45 worth of parts together and make them sound righteous" comment.
:)
It's similar to an electrician charging you $50 to change out a $5 fuse - the bill could be written out as:

Fuse: $5

Travel and overhead: $15

Knowing how to fix your problem: $30

I know and I agree with you.

Limiting it strictly to pedals, you're probably correct... but if a builder does opt for high-end parts at every turn, that extra buck here and there does add up. And when it comes to things like guitars, it's much more labour and time intensive to use a nitrocellulose lacquer finish vs a self-leveling, spray on super modern poly that dries "finished" in ten minutes.

Yes, the parts do add up...and sometimes the boutique pedal may have a somewhat more money in parts....in fact they always will just because they have to pay more for them, not only because they choose better ones, but because of the economies of scale. I was merely pointing out, in a general way, the whole "30 in parts, sells for 200" deal.

I was talking about pedals, but it applies to them to since they are being built by hand and not by a machine.

Not quite sure why I'm being quoted as I pretty much a agree with you and you're saying things I already said.

I'm not so sure I would go that far...

What's the mojo then?

By the way, I believe some boxes do sound significantly better than others, but it doesn't have much to do with price = tone and that's really the point about mojo.

• Members
Or, he has an agreement with Joyo and is rebranding them.
:idk:
But if you're correct and that's what's going down, it's more than a little sketchy.

so why scratch out the Joyo from the PCB and goop over it?? And he makes it very clear on his website that they are "handmade in the US of A" AND he and his engineering team have undertaken extensive R&D.

Heres a pic of the circuit board de-gooped with scratching evident in top right corner.

Pictures008-1.jpg

• Members
Funny how everybody is up in arms about the whole FB rebranding thing but could care less that the Joyo is an OCD ripoff.

ah well yes, but the fact that IP "laws" in China are well known for being non existent and that MR FB made some very bold statements about origins etc... and that folks got caught up in the boutique wankery, it makes for a better thread(s)...

I couldnt care either way but the facts are available on both the Joyo and FB modus operandi... and besides I love my OCD just fine. :)

ah well yes, but the fact that IP "laws" in China are well known for being non existent and that MR FB made some very bold statements about origins etc... and that folks got caught up in the boutique wankery, it makes for a better thread(s)...

I couldnt care either way but the facts are available on both the Joyo and FB modus operandi... and besides I love my OCD just fine.

The number of cases where US record labels and gear companies have been ripped off in China - either due to not knowing how the laws work there, or just from outright copyright / patent / trademark violations, is legion. Shure mikes were so often cloned and "semi-cloned" (without authorization) that it was tough for a while there to know if you were getting the "real deal", even if you purchased one from a mom and pop music store in the USA.

I'm not defending or condoning it, but I'm not surprised by it either.

• Members

I guess it can be if you add the mods that FB did to the circuit.

I thought I read that the mods just reduced the amount of gain and tone brightness that was available through the pots. Is this wrong?

• Members

I thought I read that the mods just reduced the amount of gain and tone brightness that was available through the pots. Is this wrong?

No idea. But if the mods round over the high end then I could see people calling that 'Dumbly'.

• Members

Not quite sure why I'm being quoted as I pretty much a agree with you and you're saying things I already said.

Agreeing with you on those points.

Ahh ok, that's what it seemed like, I guess you were just expanding on what was said. I wasn't taking issue, just wasn't sure what the deal was.

• Members

^idk, to me it is generally acceptable when a fairly small builder clones something mass produced, provided no legal issues arise over such act. cant patent circuits.

the opposite though is kinda vomit-inducing: when a large company rips off the smaller builder, particularly when the latter's is already fairly priced, it's a different matter. ESPECIALLY when it's a boutique builder getting ripped off by another booteaker. it's just sad.

but this issue we have right now is simply epic. like, seriously? if proven that the FB guy did use those $30 boho pedals (assuming there's no other complicated conspiracies whatsoever) and repainted the {censored}, then it simply trumps the rehoused dd-2 lulz we've had in the past :lol:

Archived