how many gigs is too many?

RoboPimp

• Members

2 hour set on friday at a local festival.

4 hour gig last night at a local bar

3-4 hour gig tonight at a private party

hour set tomorrow at the city fireworks display

... whew

can there be too much of a good thing?

I've got a nice pocketful of cash so far but man I am getting tired

ouch

still excited to go play today so I guess I'm not sick of it yet :)

this is why I never liked touring, you hit that point where it becomes less fun and more going through the motions. I dont like to feel that way about making music.

so I'm still having fun but I will be glad when this weekend is over :lol:

• Members

You're obviously having your doubts?

yah no doubt if I did this every weekend I'd start hating playing music.

Just because you love to do something with every fiber of your being it doesn't mean you have to do it every second of the day or for days straight.

As I get older I am quite happy with just a few gigs a month. Get rid of some of the bar gigs and do more of the festivals.

• Members

I gig about two to three times a month.

Thats plenty for me but I'm not trying to make a career out of it either.

I think that work ethic applied to anything you do is a good thing.

That is a lot of gigs in a short amount of time though.

Do you have enough material to keep it fresh at least?

• Members

That's a lot of gigs in a short amount of time. One issue to be careful of, other than burning yourselves out, is overexposure. After all, why should anyone come to tonight's gig if there's another one tomorrow or next weekend?

I tend to get my excitement from the audience. When we went out on tour, I remember one gig in particular. We were headed home and had already done two one hour sets earlier in the day. The gig was an outdoor gig out in the middle of nowhere for some bicycling club. Got there and the "stage" was a small trailer in a parking lot. It was hot, we were tired and just not looking forward to the gig at all.

Then the bicyclists showed up. Turned out they were all kids from Harvard, biking across the country. They were ready to rock, and they rocked HARD. Their energy fed our energy, and it was one of our most memorable shows. I have a picture from that show where you can't even see me because I had jumped off the stage into the mosh pit. :)

For me, the rehearsal, travel, set up, tear down, late nights, bad food, and sore back is the part that gets old. The playing of music? Always awesome. When it stops being super exciting (for example, when I was playing bass in a classic rock band), it's not worth doing.

• Members

yea I could prob handle that schedule since theres a few short sets in ther like the 1 hr and 2 hr gigs.

I usually find 2 x 4 hour gigs a weekend is enough for me, when we do 3 x 4 hr gigs I feel its too much. Id actually prefer playing a 3 hr set or even a 2. Also setup/breakdown gets old..

• Members

I dunno, sounds like a good time to me, but I can see how it would wear you out too. But like you said, not every weekend is like this. So I guess enjoy it while you can, and enjoy the extra cash that comes with it too. But then take a break, you've earned it.

• Members

2 hour sex on friday at a local festival.

4 hour gig last night at a local bar

3-4 hour gig tonight at a private party

hour sex tomorrow at the city fireworks display

... whew

can there be too much of a good thing?

I've got a nice pocketful of cash so far but man I am getting tired

ouch

still excited to go lay today so I guess I'm not sick of it yet

this is why I never liked prostituting, you hit that point where it becomes less fun and more going through the motions. I dont like to feel that way about making love.

so I'm still having fun but I will be glad when this weekend is over

• Members

That's a lot of gigs in a short amount of time. One issue to be careful of, other than burning yourselves out, is overexposure. After all, why should anyone come to tonight's gig if there's another one tomorrow or next weekend?.

this exactly, if unless you're a cover band or have some sort of deal with the bar where you play every weekend, I wouldn't do more than 2-4 shows a year in one city or area (in huge cities). Playing too much in one spot is usually detrimental. As for gigs in a day? as many as you can, especially if it's a conference or some sort of music festival. There it makes sense to play several times in one day, or more than 4 times in the same place.

• Members

this exactly, if unless you're
a cover band
or have some sort of deal with the bar where you play every weekend, I wouldn't do more than 2-4 shows a year in one city or area (in huge cities). Playing too much in one spot is usually detrimental. As for gigs in a day? as many as you can, especially if it's a conference or some sort of music festival. There it makes sense to play several times in one day, or more than 4 times in the same place.

Yeah.

• Members

I've been playing at least 2 gigs a week for nearly 25 years.

Last couple years I've been 3, 4 sometimes even 6 gigs a week.

I also work a full time job. It gets to be work I dread as much as going to my day job at times.

But I keep in mind what a total BLESSING it is to be able to earn money playing guitar and that keeps me going. :)

Archived