New EHX Sitar pedal

warioblast

• Members

I dunno. Sounded pretty {censored}ty regardless of his playing.

complicated pedals (or at least out-of-the-ordinary ones) are going to sound like '{censored}' when someone hasn't spent the time to figure it out.

i think it sounded promising, and will check it out when it's available.

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

complicated pedals (or at least out-of-the-ordinary ones) are going to sound like '{censored}' when someone hasn't spent the time to figure it out.

i think it sounded promising, and will check it out when it's available.

I don't think that's the case here, though. The drone sounds alright but that main sitar voice has an awful sound to it. I don't think that has anything to do with user error.

• Members

Sitar : Ravish Sitar Pedal :: Guitar: Casio Keyboard Guitar

Again, what I will seek an answer to when I try it out...

Are are the sympathetic drones synthetic emulations of sitars or are the sympathetic drones taken from the signal of origin?

When I run drums through it, what will it sound like?

When I run drones and loops through it, what will it sound like?

When I feed it back into itself, what will it sound like?

How do you think music stores take to feedback loop testing of pedals? I wonder......

• Members

I don't think that's the case here, though. The drone sounds alright but that main sitar voice has an awful sound to it. I don't think that has anything to do with user error.

unless i'm mistaken (and alert me if i am, please) the knobs labeled "lead"/"sympathetic" control the "voicing" of the pedal. i'm sure if you spent some time with it you could come up with a more pleasing voicing for both of them. beyond that, the guy used an obnoxious bit of vibrato while playing. and beyond that, even, the fact that it allows for "droning" based on any scale you put into it, i'm left with only one complaint: edit: i don't know what i was seeing when i looked at the pedal, but there's a dry knob.

• Members

Look at the picture of the pedal, there's a dry knob on the far left.

Notice in the video at the 0:45 mark, he plays with clean just with the droning.

& I have to agree with PKTrono, V. Some of EHX's best pedals can sound like {censored} in the hands of someone who doesn't know how to use it: see HOG, POG, POG2, Micro POG. I've heard awful demos of all of those, but I own a HOG and know it's full of absolutely wonderful sounds.

• Members

Hey, if you don't dig it that's cool. I'm not a fan of the sounds in the first part of the video which sound really brash and synthetic - but after that I heard alot of stuff I liked.

don't deviate from the heard. Lions will eat you

• Members

the single time he actually played around with the knobs is when he wasn't actually playing anything. fail.

I liked the sound (all 1.5 seconds of it :facepalm: ) he got with the 4th knob rolled all the way down. while it lasted anyway.

• Members

Less excited after those demos. The guy not being able to make a decent demo the first two times has something to do with that. But also an unsatisfying tinny quality to the effect. I'm looking to play with it on bass, so wonder if that's even an option. I think droning especially would be useful. I will have to wait to try it out, and hopefully by then gearmandude will have done a decent demo of it.

• Members

Less excited after those demos. The guy not being able to make a decent demo the first two times has something to do with that. But also an unsatisfying tinny quality to the effect. I'm looking to play with it on bass, so wonder if that's even an option. I think droning especially would be useful. I will have to wait to try it out, and hopefully by then gearmandude will have done a decent demo of it.

:lol: Jack Black playing sitar!

*sigh*

Archived