tubes glowing, no sound!

JMR

• Members

lookign for glowing in preamp tubes is really a bad way to check them for function, many times there's very little glow

and even if the heater is working and the tubes are glowing there can still be broken something else in the particular tube... :)

• Members

I'll try it with some old tubes.

I'm just really confused... How could the tubes be dead already? They're very new, and when I transport the amp, I put the tubes in the packages the came in and wrap them in bubble wrap and stick them in a box.

• Members

....when I transport the amp, I put the tubes in the packages the came in and wrap them in bubble wrap and stick them in a box.

no, no, no, NO!!! :facepalm: Removing the tubes is completely unnecessary unless the amp is being boxed up and shipped somewhere. You've probably created the problem by unplugging and re-plugging tubes all the time. Either the socket worked loose, or you managed to force a tube in the wrong way, or something.

• Members

v1 and v3 are not glowing at all? then replace them.

and now the bad news, if its not the tubes, it will be pain in the ass.

the peavey classic 30 is not really service friendly. meaning if you need to check or replace a fuse, you need to take the thing almost completely apart
:(
had similar issues, worked pretty long to check the fuses, haven't found anything else and so i had to put it back together, which also took a long time.

so after that self check i took it to a tech.

what happened prior the damage, somebody lifted the amp while playing and let it (fall) down from less then 5cm above ground. but it was enough that something broke.

the actual fix was pretty easy, somewhere was a fried resistor. but the biggest problem was to open the amp up and put it back together again, so it was almost 2hour of work to pay, where the fix was just a couple of minutes
:(

i would have said, they are insane to charge me so much money for the work, but as i opened it up before myself, i understood why it them also took so long. without the work it would have been a 5 euro repair, so at the end it cost somehow 180euro or so.

and before ppl flame me, that this couldn't be so complicated, try yourself and open a classic 30 and see how long it takes you
:)

Don't blame the classic 30 for your ineptitude to undo 8 bolts...

Archived