NPD: El Capistain Strokemon

RoboPimp

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't recall any of the Mx delays doing what the El Cap can do, but of course there's a lot more of them, for versatility. Don't really miss mine either, but I don't miss the m9 either as well. Quite content with the iB Nova, all I really need I've decided. Well for now anyways.

• Members

I dunno, the delay sounds good. no denying that. maybe meh was too harsh. But its still not blowing me away.

the wow/flutter is pretty good sounding, doesn't get extreme enough for me... the crinkle so far isn't really doing much for me. Something like the skreddy kills on this aspect IMO. It has this dreamy floating modulation to it. My DIY echo base might even be more favorable for me.

the tap tempo is goofy, it seems like it cuts out when you tap a new tempo in. Is that right or is that user error?

it does have a distinct midrange in the repeats that the M5 can't match with any of its models. But in that respect the M5 has models the capistan can't match. :idk:

the tone knob works well on the cap too

anway... Imma go play with it some more...

• Members

it just repeats the sound

so... my DIY echobase is holding tough in this fight too

the cap is more hifi than the echobase for sure but so far seems fuller/warmer than the M5 repeats. I dunno if its me but the analog delay w/mod model is working best with the M5 to match up. I will go back to the tape models in a bit...

I dunno about the tap on the cap either, the lag/pause is buggin and M5 seems to have no prob with it, and I dont like the clicky switch so far. I like the clickless momentary kind...

the echobase obviously has no tap tempo but seems to be the thickest, warmest of these three so far. need to try a shoot out at a gig heheh.

• Members

the cap is more hifi than the echobase for sure but so far seems fuller/warmer than the M5 repeats. I dunno if its me but the analog delay w/mod model is working best with the M5 to match up. I will go back to the tape models in a bit...

I dunno about the tap on the cap either, the lag/pause is buggin and M5 seems to have no prob with it,
and I dont like the clicky switch so far. I like the clickless momentary kind...

the echobase obviously has no tap tempo but seems to be the thickest, warmest of these three so far. need to try a shoot out at a gig heheh.

oh yeah - tapping with this click switches is a horror for me. i like also the momentary kind...

oh and i read always about this tap "problem" - i guess it is not a user error or a faulty unit... thats "normal"

• Members

I dunno about the tap on the cap either, the lag/pause is buggin and M5 seems to have no prob with it, and I dont like the clicky switch so far. I like the clickless momentary kind...

I'm impressed with you Robo; you seem to be giving the El Cap an honest, fair chance here. Kudos. :thu:

If your DIY delay really seems to be holding up this well, I'd love to give one a shot; especially considering your words that it's the "thickest and warmest" of the 3. The El Cap was by far the most warm sounding delay I've ever played, so that definitely intrigued me.

Have you messed around with all the secondary functions? The tape bias and low end contour knobs really REALLY help dial in the gooey warm tape delay. But I totally agree; the tap tempo is a major issue and if the Timeline hadn't fixed both issues (soft relay, signal cutting out while tapping), I wouldnt own a Strymon product right now as the Brigadier and Blue Sky were really lacking IMO.

Archived