NPD: El Capistain Strokemon

RoboPimp

• Members

For live use, this doesn't surprise me. IMO, Strymon pedals shine more for recording use than live use. You can't hear much the subtleties these pedals possess live, but in the context of a studio, I think this is where they might shine.

But that brings you full circle doesn't it? I mean the whole point of the unit imo is the average player doesn't want the "hassle" of bringing around a real tape unit to a live gig. If you're only going to use it in the studio why would you not just go with the real thing? IMHO the real thing sounds much better wouldn't you want that tone on your studio recorded tracks? :idk:

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I dunno, even in person this strymon just sounds like a decent digital delay.
:idk:
It should be way more extreme IMO.

Even though I'm a big fan of the Timeline I'll definitely agree their settings tend to be a little vanilla in range. Maybe it's because I grew up playing mostly EHX stuff but I miss having ridiculous nigh-unusable settings at my disposal.

• Members

And there you have it. I feel the same way about the magicstomp. All the vintage models sound pretty f'n close to the originals and you can tweak them to be more so. When I think about someone spending $300-$400 on something dedicated to one effect that the magicstomp can do pretty damn well, I think about the other hundreds of effects it can also do (and tweak via deep editing).

Dream the dream. Real magicstomp deep editing, editing, editing, editing

• Members

I dunno, even in person this strymon just sounds like a decent digital delay.
It should be way more extreme IMO.

I think what I like about it is it just plain sounds nice. I just wanted a nice sounding delay with a good feel and it seems to do that well. I don't really care that much what it's "supposed" to sound like.

• Members

But that brings you full circle doesn't it? I mean the whole point of the unit imo is the average player doesn't want the "hassle" of bringing around a real tape unit to a live gig. If you're only going to use it in the studio why would you not just go with the real thing? IMHO the real thing sounds much better wouldn't you want that tone on your studio recorded tracks?

Yes and no. I'm not sure how many studios want to own/spend/maintain a real tape echo machine these days, when a $300 much more reliable pedal will get them close, or close enough. A lot of people (not me) who have owned both feel the El Cap gets you really close. I can't say, and don't really care. For the home recordist at least, it's a lot more feasible to own than a TTE or what have you. And I'm sure live in some cases it works great too, really depends on what you're playing to get the full benefit. Most crowds won't be able to distinguish the differences, but you as the musician may very well, and for those moments, it's probably worth the $70 more than say a DD-20 is.

• Members

Yes and no. I'm not sure how many studios want to own/spend/maintain a real tape echo machine these days, when a $300 much more reliable pedal will get them close, or close enough. A lot of people (not me) who have owned both feel the El Cap gets you really close. I can't say, and don't really care. For the home recordist at least, it's a lot more feasible to own than a TTE or what have you. And I'm sure live in some cases it works great too, really depends on what you're playing to get the full benefit. Most crowds won't be able to distinguish the differences, but you as the musician may very well, and for those moments, it's probably worth the $70 more than say a DD-20 is.

A TTE really isn't that difficult to maintain and the sound puts digital modelers to shame.

• Members
I think what I like about it is it just plain sounds nice. I just wanted a nice sounding delay with a good feel and it seems to do that well. I don't really care that much what it's "supposed" to sound like.

I agree, it definitely sounds nice, it is a solid sounding delay. Just doesn't bring that much else to the game for me :idk:

• Members

Definitely worth the extrea $$. The Tape model was my favoriet on the DD20, but nothing near as good as the El Cap.

Archived