I'm sorry but I have to talk about this

Operator

• Members

I wish Ron Paul weren't such a mixed bag for me; I can't back hardline libertarianism. Even though he has some really {censored}ing great ideas, he also has some really {censored}ing
awful
ideas.

While I understand that and think the same about some of his thoughts, his most zany stuff couldn't get by the house and senate. If you ask me, he is a way to put a check on the congress and the money river from corporations, including from the industry I work in. YMMV.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

To some extent yes this is true, but do we really want that 'policy' reinforced by law?

better to have it on the books and more public to outrage people/encourage backlash than some shady backdoor blackwater bull{censored} that's totally secretive and unknown to the general public and easier to deny?

• Members

UK has cameras pretty much everywhere ya?

It does have a lot of cameras. And a temporary act allowing the police to detain people for something like 40 days without trial/ charges being pressed, also on the grounds of terrorism. It was enacted by our last government but extended by the current one and it scares me.

Give these kind of powers to institutions like the armed forces or police and you're one step further from democracy. Most governments in the past, both mine and yours, have recognised the danger in granting these kind of powers but now there seems to be a growing need to keep people in line through fear and the application of even just the threat of absolute power. It does worry me more than a little.

Power corrupts, and all it takes is one corrupt policeman or military officer to detain someone for personal gain and then we're going down a slippery slope. Once your enemy does it what choice do you have but to follow suit?

• Members

I voted for Obama in '08. Regret it 100% Ron Paul is my horse. I'm not a maniac about RP, but I agree with more that he stands for than any other candidate. Living in CA it doesn't really matter who I vote for since the state is Dem. But still...

there is little doubt that he is his own man. that's what I like about him.

• Members

But I'll probably have to vote for him anyway because Newt Gingrich is a piece of {censored}.

I love you guys. You see Obama not doing anything. You see him enacting the same policies as his predecessors. You see everything getting worse. But, then the robot voice comes on "must vote democrats, republicans evil, it's a waste to vote for a third party." And it works like this everytime. Damn, whoever came up with this two-party system scam is a genius and probably deserves to control the world. Dance puppets dance!

• Members

I love you guys. You see Obama not doing anything. You see him enacting the same policies as his predecessors. You see everything getting worse. But, then the robot voice comes on "must vote democrats, republicans evil, it's a waste to vote for a third party." And it works like this everytime. Damn, whoever came up with this two-party system scam is a genius and probably deserves to control the world. Dance puppets dance!

Is it the exit letter of George Washington who warns of the two party system? its a great read.

• Members

I voted for Obama in '08. Regret it 100% Ron Paul is my horse. I'm not a maniac about RP, but I agree with more that he stands for than any other candidate. Living in CA it doesn't really matter who I vote for since the state is Dem. But still...

Really would like to see RP make it into office. He is a straight shooter and hasn't spouted a bunch of bull{censored}. Honestly, if he did make it in, he'd probably be killed. He wants to end the FED and on top of that he want's to take a lot of the control away from the government itself.

• Members

But I'll probably have to vote for him anyway because Newt Gingrich is a piece of {censored}.

Democracy!

The worst part is you guys properly get so much more say in your horses than we do. But people like Gingrich still have apparently enough support to get it? I don't really understand.

• Members

Self preservation my friend. Instead of looking at the big picture, they focus on the part that effects them. Case in point, the post below. This shouldn't go through because of all the reasons it is trying to be put through. It allows us to police other coninents even more so. It's {censored}ing absurd and it's a crime against humanity all in it's own.
But also it is also showing that the "Bill of rights" is truly what it has always been, a {censored}ing sham.
Smoke and mirrors to make people beleive they were given rights by man, when in all honesty the day you're born you have all these rights regardless if some asshole says you do or not. Freedom of speech isn't a right someone can give you. If your vocal cords work from the day you're born, that right there is your right to free speech. Humans are too {censored}ing stupid to see the reality of government and how {censored}ing pointless it is. The biggest issue with this bill is, why the {censored} would you need something like this? Economic global collpase. Look into FEMA camps and all that jazz. If the economy collpases(which is will in the very near future) those camps will be filled with American citizens. Probably ones more so who lead towards standing up agaisnt the government than ones who are being chaotic and actually making it dangerous for others. Those people will probably just be killed on sight if and when the economy collapses. People need to do some more research than just into this bill. The world is {censored}ed. Our empire has collapsed and this is it's last ditch effort to save themselves.

Habeus corpus doesn't. If I remember correctly that {censored} was never reinstated. Or at least it slipped past me if it was.

1. Habeas Corpus was reinstated by Hamdi v. Rumsfeld in 2004 which ruled that Habeas Corpus applies to all citizens, even if they are charged as an enemy combatant. Hamdan v. Rumsfeld (2006) and Boumediene v. Bush (2009) have not only upheld this idea, but also have set legal precedent by ruling that CIVILIAN courts are to hear Habeas Corpus cases not the military tribunals established by the Military Commissions Act of 2008. So yeah, a lot slipped by you.

2. If you think the Bill of Rights is a {censored}ing sham then get the {censored} out of this country. That's right. I'm pulling the redneck republican circa '03 card on your ass. People have died to protect those rights and they exist because we {censored}ing say they do and are willing to protect them. If you aren't with us in taking that job seriously, then you are a cancer in our "experiment of democracy" and we'd be better off without you.

• Members

Don't blame me; I voted for kodos!

• Members

Really would like to see RP make it into office. He is a straight shooter and hasn't spouted a bunch of bull{censored}. Honestly, if he did make it in, he'd probably be killed. He wants to end the FED and on top of that he want's to take a lot of the control away from the government itself.

The scary things is, I think the same way. Some Jack Bauer type {censored}. With that much money being ripped from the corporate mouth someone would pay for the sniper shot. *puts on tin foil*

• Members

I heard Sen. Feinstein changed the language within the bill that excludes all American Citizens and anyone within the US from detention without Due Process/Constitutional Protections

After a Feinstein amendment, language was added that "nothing in this section shall be construed to affect existing law or authorities relating to the detention of United States citizens, lawful resident aliens of the United States, or any other persons who are captured or arrested in the United States."

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/12/13/MNG41MBV4K.DTL#ixzz1gdwAgG6n

• Members

Zombie apocolypse would be rad. Would be far more fun than a global economic nightmare.

its sad that a zombie apocalypse would a better scenario than the real world... :facepalm:

also, I never thought I'd say this, and I don't like to think about Ron Paul's balls, but man does he have them!

• Members

These individuals are traitors:

Sen. Lamar Alexander [R, TN]
Sen. Kelly Ayotte [R, NH]
Sen. John Barrasso [R, WY]
Sen. Roy Blunt [R, MO]
Sen. John Boozman [R, AR]
Sen. Scott Brown [R, MA]
Sen. Richard Burr [R, NC]
Sen. Saxby Chambliss [R, GA]
Sen. Daniel Coats [R, IN]
Sen. Thad Cochran [R, MS]
Sen. Susan Collins [R, ME]
Sen. Bob Corker [R, TN]
Sen. John Cornyn [R, TX]
Sen. Michael Crapo [R, ID]
Sen. Jim DeMint [R, SC]
Sen. Michael Enzi [R, WY]
Sen. Lindsey Graham [R, SC]
Sen. Charles Grassley [R, IA]
Sen. Orrin Hatch [R, UT]
Sen. Dean Heller [R, NV]
Sen. John Hoeven [R, ND]
Sen. Kay Hutchison [R, TX]
Sen. James Inhofe [R, OK]
Sen. John Isakson [R, GA]
Sen. Mike Johanns [R, NE]
Sen. Ron Johnson [R, WI]
Sen. Mark Kirk [R, IL]
Sen. Jon Kyl [R, AZ]
Sen. Richard Lugar [R, IN]
Sen. John McCain [R, AZ]
Sen. Mitch McConnell [R, KY]
Sen. Jerry Moran [R, KS]
Sen. Lisa Murkowski [R, AK]
Sen. Robert Portman [R, OH]
Sen. James Risch [R, ID]
Sen. Pat Roberts [R, KS]
Sen. Marco Rubio [R, FL]
Sen. Jefferson Sessions [R, AL]
Sen. Richard Shelby [R, AL]
Sen. Olympia Snowe [R, ME]
Sen. John Thune [R, SD]
Sen. Patrick Toomey [R, PA]
Sen. David Vitter [R, LA]
Sen. Roger Wicker [R, MS]
Sen. Daniel Akaka [D, HI]
Sen. Max Baucus [D, MT]
Sen. Mark Begich [D, AK]
Sen. Michael Bennet [D, CO]
Sen. Jeff Bingaman [D, NM]
Sen. Richard Blumenthal [D, CT]
Sen. Barbara Boxer [D, CA]
Sen. Sherrod Brown [D, OH]
Sen. Maria Cantwell [D, WA]
Sen. Benjamin Cardin [D, MD]
Sen. Thomas Carper [D, DE]
Sen. Robert Casey [D, PA]
Sen. Kent Conrad [D, ND]
Sen. Chris Coons [D, DE]
Sen. Richard Durbin [D, IL]
Sen. Dianne Feinstein [D, CA]
Sen. Al Franken [D, MN]
Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand [D, NY]
Sen. Kay Hagan [D, NC]
Sen. Daniel Inouye [D, HI]
Sen. Tim Johnson [D, SD]
Sen. John Kerry [D, MA]
Sen. Amy Klobuchar [D, MN]
Sen. Herbert Kohl [D, WI]
Sen. Mary Landrieu [D, LA]
Sen. Frank Lautenberg [D, NJ]
Sen. Patrick Leahy [D, VT]
Sen. Carl Levin [D, MI]
Sen. Joe Manchin [D, WV]
Sen. Claire McCaskill [D, MO]
Sen. Robert Men

• Members

All this {censored} won't mean a pile of beans on Dec. 21st of next year.

But seriously, really weird events are happening and by weird I mean very detrimental to mankind as a whole. My psyche forces me to ignore it because it's all too damn depressing and overloading.

P.S. Don't go getting all religious on me. That's one thing I'm immune too now.

• Members
Zombie apocolypse would be rad. Would be far more fun than a global economic nightmare.

its sad that a zombie apocalypse would a better scenario than the real world... :facepalm:

also, I never thought I'd say this, and I don't like to think about Ron Paul's balls, but man does he have them!

• Members

After a Feinstein amendment, language was added that "nothing in this section shall be construed to affect existing law or authorities relating to the detention of United States citizens, lawful resident aliens of the United States, or any other persons who are captured or arrested in the United States."

Read more:

What does that even mean? Especially the part of "any other persons who are captured or arrested in the United States". We have captured terrorists in Guantanamo right now, they are among the group of people we've captured or arrested within the United States, so what exactly is (e) (the part of SEC1031 you are quoting) saying about those detentions? If those are allowed, that same loophole isn't likely to prevent citizens from falling victim to it as well. Read the bill, exactly what is being said relies so much on its context that one can't just cherry pick sentences and say with any significant level of confidence that what has been quoted is clear.

• Members

Honestly, it's not like my vote makes any difference, apparently. Elected officials will legislate based on their masters, not their constituents. We have the freedom to vote for which of the two assholes they let us vote for.

Archived