Belcat amps -

theboywho

• Members

I've been playing a lot of keyboards as well as guitar in my new band, just got an old Korg CX3 analogue Hammond clone, which sounds great through a guitar amp. However my Jet City 20watter isn't quite sounding right for it, can't quite keep it cler enough, so I was planning on building a Bassman as from what I've read, and can imagine, it's just about what I need for it, especially as I have a 50 watt 2x12 with a couple of old celestions in.

However I've just come across this amp, it looks like a cheap fender clone of some sort, however the few reviews I've read about their 20watt version seem to be pretty good, and I know you can't really compare but their fx pedals seem to be solid and sound good.

Anyone tried a Belcat amp before, recon it's worth getting? I guess the cab and chassis alone would be almost worth it if it was crap.

http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Belcat-Tube-H50R-50w-Valve-Guitar-Amp-Head/G37

• Members

i wouldn't trust it to be honest. some of the jacks look plastic.. and Belcat = cheap {censored}e as far as the pedals go. not to say i wouldn't give it a chance but i would definitely test the {censored} out of it before buying.

• Members

it kind of infers that they're pcb-mounted.. something we tend to avoid with pedals. but tolerate with amps?

Often if an amp is PCB mounted though it will be a seperate pcb for the jacks, also less chance of stepping on a cable and splitting an amps PCB I guess.

• Members

It does look amazing for the cash and I wouldn't be worrying about things like jacks which are cheap and easy to replace, my concern would be with things like transformers.. that's not to say they will be crap, but I would want to research further if I could before buying...

• Members

It does look amazing for the cash and I wouldn't be worrying about things like jacks which are cheap and easy to replace, my concern would be with things like transformers.. that's not to say they
will
be crap, but I would want to research further if I could before buying...

To be honest at

• Members

Edit: looking again, it only has an 8ohm output, my cab is 2 8ohms, so may need an upgrade to run that anyway.

If you've got 2 8ohm cabs I'd suggest a Silverface Bassman. Built like a tank, has a 4ohm output and will last years longer than Belcat POS. You could probably pick one up for 250 quid.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived