EHX Microsynth appreciation thread

sommy

• Members

It's my favorite effect I have ever played. I have owned three bass micro synthesizers: one XO, one vintage 70's model, one big box model from the 2000's. I couldn't see myself without one ever.

Not even just the big sweeps and swells, the square wave with some sub-octave mixed in is one of the best fuzz sounds. The 70's model I had had the best fuzz tone I have ever heard on bass.

• Members

It's my favorite effect I have ever played. I have owned three bass micro synthesizers: one XO, one vintage 70's model, one big box model from the 2000's. I couldn't see myself without one ever.

Not even just the big sweeps and swells, the square wave with some sub-octave mixed in is one of the best fuzz sounds. The 70's model I had had the best fuzz tone I have ever heard on bass.

A big reason why I want the filter footswitchable :love:

• Members

Loved mine for 10+ years. I took out the footswitch & put in a wet/dry mix knob and also modded it: you know the little trim pot in the back you adjust w a screwdriver for gain? It's now a knob on the front. I will be adding a toggle bypass soon. Cosmetically I wish I had taken better care of it, but it is an essential now after my geiger counter. I also have it in a feedback loop with a passive ring modulator: This pedal really likes to be fed back into itself. Filter is fantastic.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Members

I nearly sold mine not long after getting it. But I'm so glad I didn't. Recently I've been using it into the dirty channel of an Orange head to create the most evil fuzzed-up riffage I've ever heard.

I also really like running a subtle envelope setting through a harmony patch on the Ring Thing - bit of echo, some chorus into a clean amp - beautiful.

It's quite an emotional pedal.

• Members

just picked up a vintage one. the one i tried out before must not have been set correctly. only recently i found out there is a trim pot to adjust the impedance. what a groovy pedal.

what does adjusting the impedance actually do? :confused:

i've got an old big box one and love it. not sure i want to mess with trim pots...isnt all you really need just the first slider on the left to adjust the trigger?

• Members

what does adjusting the impedance actually do?
:confused:

i've got an old big box one and love it. not sure i want to mess with trim pots...isnt all you really need just the first slider on the left to adjust the trigger?

i dont' know if it's only the vintage ones, and i'm not sure impedance is the right term, but it raises or lowers the headroom. maybe it's the only on the ones that are not t/b. :idk: there's a hole in the bottom of the pedal allowing access to the trim pot.

edit: i guess they call it preamp gain.

PREAMP GAIN ADJUSTMENT: The preamp gain in the Micro Synth has been set at the factory for use with a guitar equipped with single-coil pickups. If you will be using another instrument with higher or lower output, it may be necessary to readjust this setting. A screwdriver or alignment tool with a tip width of no more than 1/16

• Members

this needs to be in here too.

http://www.ehx.com/assets/instructions/microsynth-templates.pdf

awesome, thanks for posting this! Makes me gas for the big box one, I sure loved the one I used to have. I'll get around to one again I'm sure, and those templates will come in handy! (especially the Sequential Circuits one, I used to have access to a Sequential Pro-1, it was incredible playing that thing! :love:

• Members

when I first got my oldschool bass micro I thought it was fairly meh. it took a while to get used to it but now I'm completely blown away by it and it's never leaving my board. I do have to use an eq with it though because it's slightly lean in the bottom end for my taste, but with the eq it's devastating. I had a Mastotron on my board for a while and it was only good for that one synthy tone it does, I successfully mimicked it with my EHBMS so I got rid of it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Just wanted to say thanks to Fender&EHX4ever. He sent me some pics of the wiring inside his vintage Micro Synthesizer which allowed me to rewire mine to function once again. I'm currently loving this setting:

6825574099_13e5abbb82_z.jpg

Kind of a funky/synthy bass tone. I run a Big Muff after it, and when I engage both I get a nice bass fuzz going on.

Archived