Amp and Pedal Observation

Player99

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

theres's a special type of forum for people like you, player99

I am not going to click your spoiler.

I thought there were people who would be able to grasp the concept of a $3000 amp circuit being driven by a $20 OD circuit and, although it works perfectly, it seems off in theory. That's it...I guess everybody is grouchy from drying out from the weekend or whatever. Keep the insults coming... or don't discuss what I have posted, instead attack me personally.

• Members

I am not going to click your spoiler.

I thought there were people who would be able to grasp the concept of a $3000 amp circuit being driven by a $20 OD circuit and, although it works perfectly, it seems off in theory. That's it...I guess everybody is grouchy from drying out from the weekend or whatever. Keep the insults coming... or don't discuss what I have posted, instead attack me personally.

I think the price of an amp doesn't necessarily mean it sounds better, there's some great amps for less then 800 dollars, especially if you go used. Dirt pedals are often bad substitutes for amp dirt but a lot of amps are really loud when you push them into overdrive. There's also something to be said about about people not using the volume on their guitar enough. That being said there are some awesome overdrive pedals out there with some pretty innovative EQ sections that can get you a wide variety of tones. Fuzz pedals will get you a wide variety of tones you will not be able to get with just your amp alone. If you think that a pedal doesn't make you sound better, I suggest getting rid of it.

• Members

I dont get people with great tube amps that use distortion pedals..what's the point?! i used to have mediocre amps and so i had a muff, od1, sd1, boost, rat, ocd and others... now that i got the Orange TH30 i'm in the process of selling almost all of them. None can beat my pure cracked TH30.. and with all the gain and tone i could ever want. And frankly with all those pedals combined i could probably buy a second head!

• Members

Tony Bruno Underground 30

A solid winner of Guitar Player Magazine's February 1997 shootout between 23 of the worlds finest boutique amps.

"Bruno's Underground 30 provided some of this shootout's best old Vox flavors with a stupidly simple control scheme of normal and bright volumes and treble, bass and presence knobs. The rear panel features a Marshall-type impedance selector, dual speaker outs, and reverb mix, tone and dwell pots.

The Underground 30's superb clean and distortion voices make it a fine choice for fans of Vox shimmer and Marshall munch. Its bright channel offers lots of gain and superb tonal range---from piercingly bright to extremely girthy---and its bodacious dynamics let you sweep through a range of colors using just your guitar's volume control. This spanky-sounding amp really nails the classic AC30 chime while delivering deep, spacious clean tones at one end of the gain spectrum and wickedly furious grind at the other. The three-knob reverb---a close copy of the Fender Vibro-King's---is much like having a stand-alone reverb in front of a Vox AC30. We certainly can't argue with that recipe, and the Bruno's lush sound is proof of the pudding. What a great-sounding amp!"

"Judgement Day. While you could hardly go wrong with any amp in this shootout, a few managed to steal our hearts. Bruno's Underground 30 gets high marks for it's superior AC30-meets-Fender-Reverb tone. Its crispness, balance and Godzilla grind easily make it one of the best-sounding amps in this shootout ...."

The Underground 's heavy steel chassis features a point-to-point wired circuit on terminal strips. The clean, rugged-looking interior also had the highest parts density (for this construction style) of the group. So dense in fact, that the electrolytic caps were buried under other parts-a servicing problem. Other components include Mouser and CTS pots, carbon-comp resistors, U.S.-made caps and 11 phenolic tube sockets for the four Phillips EL84s, Mullard GZ34 rectifier, two RCA 7025s, Sylvania and Telefunken 12AX7s, and Tung-Sol 6BQ5 reverb driver. Heavy duty tube shields are provided for the EL84s.

This article appears from Guitar Player February 1997 issue.

• Members

Yet another:

The Bruno Underground 30

Reviewed by Guitar World Magazine in the June 1995 issue

"The Bruno Underground 30 could do magic tricks too. Besides its awesome sonics, it could make itself disappear...anyone who used it insisted on taking it to recording sessions or on gigs. Comments ranged from "It rages...gimmie!" to "It's got the harmonics of a Vox with the snap of a Fender" to "Butler...I'm gonna hurt you bad if I don't get to use this amp!" The last being the most persuasive.

Tony Bruno's work might already be familiar to you if you noodled around with a Sovtek Mig 50 head, which is also Tony's design. For his eponymous amps, however, Tony passed on the Mig's 5881 power section in favor of the richest power tubes ever created--a quartet of EL84s-- the same tube type used in the renowned Vox AC30 "Top Boost" 2X12 combo. Although sharing a vintage AC30's Class A circuitry, as well as being influenced by the preamp stage of a tweed

Archived