Amp and Pedal Observation

Player99

• Members

Lots of people are very particular about their boutique tube amps. (Including myself.) Hand made, point to point, NOS tubes. High end parts. Spending $1000's on them.

Only to put pedals in front. Seems to defeat the purpose of the amp thing when I jam 10-12 pedals in front. It still sounds great, but it does seem to be sort of self defeating...

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

How is it defeating? You're still playing through a high end amp, just running (usually) high end pedals through it as well. One compliments the other, its not like a handwired boutique amp is suddenly going to turn into a Marshall MG the second you run an overdrive in the front of it.

In short, STFU noob.

• Members

How is it defeating? You're still playing through a high end amp, just running (usually) high end pedals through it as well. One compliments the other, its not like a handwired boutique amp is suddenly going to turn into a Marshall MG the second you run an overdrive in the front of it.

In short, STFU noob.

The End

• Members

The point is I have 2 amps I use that sell for around $4000 each. They are identical. Then I put a 75 pedal in front of it (them). Seems like it is defeating the amp. I do have probably 60-100 pedals. So I am a pedal junky.

Oh ya TomVanDork- BIOYAYFLCWFRCF

• Members

Lots of people are very particular about their boutique tube amps. (Including myself.) Hand made, point to point, NOS tubes. High end parts. Spending $1000's on them.

Only to put pedals in front. Seems to defeat the purpose of the amp thing when I jam 10-12 pedals in front.
It still sounds great
, but it does seem to be sort of self defeating...

I am not saying pedals don't sound great, just all that care over the amp, then 10-20 lower end circuits in front of it. Seems like an oxymoron.

• Members

The point is I have 2 amps I use that sell for around $4000 each. They are identical. Then I put a 75 pedal in front of it (them). Seems like it is defeating the amp. I do have probably 60-100 pedals. So I am a pedal junky.

Oh ya TomVanDork- BIOYAYFLCWFRCF

:lol:

First of all, {censored} you. Second of all, again no. Its defeating nothing. You're adding an additional gain stage. It's not rocket science, its a guitar.

• Members

So by your logic does it make MORE sense to stick high end pedals between a squier and a line 6 spyder?

No I am just saying it seems counter-intuitive to do things the way I do. It sounds great-amazing tone, but just to take so much care and high end amp toobery then to use whatever pedal, then make sure I have a super duper cable with O2 free copper...

Not trying to fight with anybody. Just thought it was an interesting juxtaposition.

• Members

In short, STFU noob.

i have come to realize i agree wholeheartedly with TVD on pretty much EVERYTHING. the troof - this man knows it.

Archived