1955 Gibson GA-30

echodeluxe

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by DRGUN

View Post

what amps are you using in this setup? I use a super champ xd (10" speaker) and a blues junior (12" speaker) and its super rad.

also I wanted your opinion on Nouriel Roubini's recent prediction about the ecomony, but I saw in your sig you didnt want business related communication.

A '63 Gibson GA-19RVT Falcon (12") and a '64 Fender 6G2 Princeton (10").

Also wat.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by erksin

View Post

Why I aughta...

lol

i havent tried any of the c-bread amp pedals! make me a believer!

next time im in a store that stocks them, ill give them old echo-d {censored} rock try out.

im actually interested in the sft. the vids ive seen really sound good.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by echodeluxe

View Post

yeah they dug the way it sounded.

Because you finally played through an honest to Jebus tweed and not a Peavey. No knock on the Peavey as I think it's one of the better sounding 'modern' amps - but there is a night and day difference and they could obviously tell.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by erksin

View Post

He'll have to post them, and it's not for me to say but I thought it was a bit of a steal given the condition. Pretty damn clean amp.

It's a pre-'55 so it's the old '40s-style looking cab, not a two-tone like yours.

What input on the Falcon is yr fave?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Woodward & Sons

View Post

It's not about speed.

It's about the size of the waveform.

A 12" speaker produces a different size waveform to a 10" speaker and when they're reproducing the same sound in close proximity there can be some weird phasing/cancellation.

I don't really buy that. Put a low E through an amp that's got different sized speakers and all the speakers will give out a low E, which has a set wavelength. Sure the speakers will sound tonally different, but as long as they're not broken and wired out of phase they'll all be putting out the same frequencies.

The differences are in transient response and the "EQ" of each speaker. So each speaker might emphasise different harmonics/ the attack or whatever. But the idea that you can't mix different sized speakers because of phase cancellation doesn't fly for me, and I've never actually heard it said before.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus

View Post

I don't really buy that. Put a low E through an amp that's got different sized speakers and all the speakers will give out a low E, which has a set wavelength. Sure the speakers will sound tonally different, but as long as they're not broken and wired out of phase they'll all be putting out the same frequencies.

The differences are in transient response and the "EQ" of each speaker. So each speaker might emphasise different harmonics/ the attack or whatever. But the idea that you can't mix different sized speakers because of phase cancellation doesn't fly for me, and I've never actually heard it said before.

Agreed. There are literally thousands of examples of speakers designs that use multiple drivers of different sizes, including virtually all hi-fi speakers and studio monitors. The only difference is the GA-30 doesn't have any sort of crossover circuit, but that isn't going to cause any noticeable distortion here. There's a large amount of overlap in the frequency response curves of an 8" and 12" driver. They just peak at slightly different frequencies, making the overall frequency response a little broader.

Now, if I was trying to design a hi-fi speaker that could accurately reproduce an entire orchestra without distortion then I'd still use a crossover between two woofers of different sizes, but that would be overkill for a guitar amp. As long as they're wired up in-phase then they'll sound fine.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by RoboPimp

View Post

their fuzz pedal is $200... chances are slim

Yeah, after paying the suppliers at the back end, the retailers at the front end, and the assemblers in the middle, we thought it might be a good business move if we didn't lose money. We thought some people might appreciate the extra amenities, like the custom steel enclosure and the battery drawer, etc. It must be true since we sell them as fast as we can make them.

Of course, not everyone will want to buy a Cadillac when a Yugo will still get the job done. For them, and you, there's Joyo! thumb.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by RoboPimp

View Post

sounds familiar

192696.jpg

Different economies of scale. Thousands of cast aluminum boxes vs. 100 sheet metal cans. If I get as big as Roland corp., and build pedals by the thousands in an automated factory, then I'll happily lower my prices to compete. In the meantime, the prices are based on what it costs to make them.

Also, a pocket under the treadle doesn't qualify as a battery drawer. There's still a 35 cent battery snap in there. Bulgin battery drawers cost $3 in quantity. It's a considerable extra cost just for the convenience of not having to open up the box and {censored} around with a battery snap to change batteries, but we think it's worth it.

Archived