1955 Gibson GA-30

echodeluxe

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by The Great Waldo Pepper

View Post

Such a cool rig when into that revibe unit! I need to figure out how to bridge the GA30 with the 5E3. (then the Magnatone) smile.gif

Come up with a one in/three out switcher and make an extra one for me. I can commence drilling operations in the morning.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by erksin

View Post

Hi - are you new here? I'm erksin - people love me for my dry sense of humor. Welcome!

Oh hi! This place looks cool. I saw a pedal with a horse on it but it was like $1000 on ebay, should I buy it? I have a fender frontman amp and a bc rich warlock.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by amp_surgeon

View Post

That's what I figured. Pentode preamps. thumb.gif

I'm not experienced enough with those older metal pres or what part they have in the total sum sound of the circuits they're used in, but they seem to have a lot of clarity at least in this amp anyway. There's no high end brittleness or smearing like you can get with a lot of 12AX7s - the highs are really clear and warm.

• 5 months later...
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by guitardustin

View Post

Yeeeah vintage Gibson is teh sex. I've been emailing back and forth with this guy a bit:

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/msg/3127317286.html

Seems like an awesome price no?

That's an okay price IMO for one in that rusted of a condition. If it has no noise or grounding issues because of it then you should be golden.

That is my favorite amp in the whole entire world right there. It's basically the best Princeton Reverb you've ever heard - 15w, 12" Jensen (that's the original C-12R in there, BTW - worth $150 all on it's own), reverb and trem that are the best you'll ever hear in a combo amp.

If you can play it first to suss any potential circuit issues, that would obviously be best. You could probably talk him down a little based on the condition and if it's got some noise. But if you could snag that thing between $300-$350 and it only needs a little work I think you'll be pretty fricking psyched. Everybody who plays through mine wants to buy it off me.

icon_lol.gif

rigshot0612-2.jpg

• Members

They are common as they were the best selling model of that Crestline series. You should be able to find them anywhere from $300 up to about $700 or more for minty examples. The '62s, '63s, and early '64s are the ones to own IMO - those came with the Jensen C-12R which is a fantastic speaker. Later '64s and '65s had the Gibson-branded CTSs and they're just okay - still a good amp but the Jensen makes them OMFG like.

Seriously - best small amp ever IMO. Hammond long pan reverb that is before the preamp circuit so it's like you're plugging into an outboard reverb tank. The trem is swampy with lots of movement to it. The overall tone is rich and clear with a fairly big projection due to the large cabinet. When you crank it up it doesn't fall to pieces or crash in on itself - it stays big and punchy and thick with great articulation.

I hope it works out for him as I think he'd really dig it.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by erksin

View Post

That's an okay price IMO for one in that rusted of a condition. If it has no noise or grounding issues because of it then you should be golden.

That is my favorite amp in the whole entire world right there. It's basically the best Princeton Reverb you've ever heard - 15w, 12" Jensen (that's the original C-12R in there, BTW - worth $150 all on it's own), reverb and trem that are the best you'll ever hear in a combo amp.

If you can play it first to suss any potential circuit issues, that would obviously be best. You could probably talk him down a little based on the condition and if it's got some noise. But if you could snag that thing between $300-$350 and it only needs a little work I think you'll be pretty fricking psyched. Everybody who plays through mine wants to buy it off me.

icon_lol.gif

Yeah I started searching for one after you talked about how awesome they are. The guy said it's a '63, totally original save a 3 prong chord and a new footswitch button. He said there's no issues at all except the how ugly and rusty it's become. Idk though, I just cleared my paypal out on a new acoustic facepalm.gif I'm pretty close to just going to check it out because of how awesome you said they are haha.

Quote Originally Posted by echodeluxe

View Post

{censored} I wish that was near me....

I could actually just buy it for you and you could come get it at your leisure wink.gif. I do make an occasional drive down to san fran as well. I hate to see a good deal lost

Archived