If you could afford it would you have a EHX freeze on your pedalboard?

Elessar [Sly]

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Seems to me you might have a bit of an ego about what you're doing Loobs since you're telling people not only that it's what you do, but also that it's somehow better and the next step up from using pedals rather than it just being a case that you use whatever you want to do whatever music you want. :eek:

• Members

blasphemous? hardly. A lot of people on here are afraid of just plugging into their amp and seeing what they can come up with, or assume that if you don't use 4 delays, 5 fuzzes, 10 modulation pedals you must be playing blues rock. It's usually either all the ego driven 'I need this pedal' mentality or just a crutch for bad musicianship. I've been there with the pedal lust and having to run a big board but really it didn't do me a ton of good as a musician and it's refreshing to come out the other side of it.

Sorry Loobs but I'm probably not the only person here who found your post a little insulting. I've never personally seen any evidence of this old canard that guys with huge pedalboards use them "just a crutch for bad musicianship". Most of the guys I've seen with lots of effects are either great players looking to expand their sound or guys that don't have great chops but are very inventive and have a vision. I think there are a lot of musicians out there that are intimidated by big effects boards, they don't that the technical mind to know how create great sounds with the stuff.

To each his own, there's room for the guy plugging straight in and the person who wants to process the hell out of his sound. Neither way is better than the other.

As far as the Freeze pedal is concerned, I've been tempted to get one. I have a thing for drones and symphonic textures. I love trying to get my bar band to sound like an orchestra. So holding those chords might be cool way of doing that, or it could just wind up being another pedal that get's thrown on the shelf till I have time to put it up on CL.

• Members

If I could afford it I would have every pedal ever.

Also, I think I could get in to using a freeze. I like pedals that limit you a bit and kind of force you in to having a cohesive sound, I guess its just a question of how many pedals you want on your board at once and prioritizing.

• Members

I would like to have one. When i had a cathedral i liked using the infinite function to create drone notes, usually under slower clean parts. I really liked it and could definitely see the use in a dedicated pedal for that sort of thing. I've wanted one ever since i had the cathedral, but haven't been able to prioritize spending the money on one yet.

• Members

Too many other pedals I'd rather have before a freeze. But if I could afford, say, 10 new pedals a freeze would be one of them.

But then again, I'd prolly get a HOG if I could afford that many pedals.

• Members

I have one. Not essential to my setup but it adds a lot of interesting ideas. It wouldn't be the end of the world if I didn't have it, but its a fun tool to have

We seem to have quite a bit in common.

I might have to change my Avatar to Ashy Larry, or Buck Nasty.

• Members

I have one on my small board. I like it. It's a unique tool, but it wouldn't say it's as integral to what I do as an overdrive pedal or a looper.

I have one on my board, to me it's the most innovative pedal in the last 30 years.

It is certainly innovative; a future classic for sure.

• 3 months later...
  • Members

A lot of people on here are afraid of just plugging into their amp and seeing what they can come up with, or assume that if you don't use 4 delays, 5 fuzzes, 10 modulation pedals you must be playing blues rock. It's usually either all the ego driven 'I need this pedal' mentality or just a crutch for bad musicianship.

True. But I can't buy talent. Only pedals.

And yes I would love to have a Freeze. I've used the Freeze from my ME-25 on several songs I've recorded and love it even though the frozen tone sounds like a washed out stuck reverb.

• Members

I want a second one on my board. I play bass in a band that improvises live and the ability to freeze chords and easily change chords is incredible to me. it sounds better on bass chords to me, than guitar, it suits the lower register better (to my ears).

if I played bass in a conventional band it would be pretty much useless as I'm sure it is to most players in general.

Archived