Lunar Module vs. '70

OMTerria

• Members

The Skreddy's got the toans, but the Fulltone has a mids control and I've been having a love affair with my Octafuzz. I had the MXR Classic 108 Fuzz and really liked it, but it completely disappeared in the mix and I don't want a repeat of that.

• Members

fulltone looks damn good, its definitely on my list of pedals to buy and try. but i've got the LMD and couldn't be happier with it. it, along with my pitchblack are two pedals that will likely never leave my board. whether for a cleanish boost, od or straight fuzz it pretty much has everything covered.

while it has no mids control the bright and body knobs work well to tailor your tone to what you need.

• Members

The Fulltone '70 does indeed have a control labelled "mids." My understanding is that it is a sort of bias/volume control, though, and bears no electronic resemblance to an actual tone control. :poke:

If you want more mids from a Skreddy Lunar Module, you do have bona-fide tone controls (and just because there's no knob labelled "mids" doesn't mean you can't boost the mids: turn up volume, turn down brite, & turn up body, and you've got mids like a Tube Screamer). Also with the Lunar you get much higher input impedance than a classic Fuzz Face circuit (meaning it works well with wah pedals and does not need to see the guitar directly at its input), it cleans up much more gradually and controllably with the guitar volume, it has the ability to get much more fuzzy than a typical Fuzz Face (it can function as a silicon Tone Bender), has a multitude of different tonal variations (and is generally smoother sounding in all its settings than a classic Fuzz Face circuit), it has a much more usable low-gain range, and it is tweakable for various classic rock and cranked-amp-sim rhythm tones--it's not just a lead-guitar fuzz pedal.

• Members

The Fulltone '70 does indeed have a control labelled "mids." My understanding is that it is a sort of bias/volume control, though, and bears no electronic resemblance to an actual tone control. :poke:

If you want more mids from a Skreddy Lunar Module, you do have bona-fide tone controls (and just because there's no knob labelled "mids" doesn't mean you can't boost the mids: turn up volume, turn down brite, & turn up body, and you've got mids like a Tube Screamer). Also with the Lunar you get much higher input impedance than a classic Fuzz Face circuit (meaning it works well with wah pedals and does not need to see the guitar directly at its input), it cleans up much more gradually and controllably with the guitar volume, it has the ability to get much more fuzzy than a typical Fuzz Face (it can function as a silicon Tone Bender), has a multitude of different tonal variations (and is generally smoother sounding in all its settings than a classic Fuzz Face circuit), it has a much more usable low-gain range, and it is tweakable for various classic rock and cranked-amp-sim rhythm tones--
it's not just a lead-guitar fuzz pedal.

I had both, the 70s is indeed on the FF family, it sounds great and that mids control helps to give the fuzz more presence, so nice when playing with the band. But I felt the LM is totally different, and would say that it's specially great as a "lead-guitar fuzz pedal". Didn't liked for rhythm parts, and it has a very focused tone on some frequencies. I remember how "open" a timmy sounded compared with it. If I had to choose I would get a 70s again, specially one of the older big case ones, just more cool than the standard enclosure. But a floydian solo player would love the LM.

• Members

I had both, the 70s is indeed on the FF family, it sounds great and that mids control helps to give the fuzz more presence, so nice when playing with the band. But I felt the LM is totally different, and would say that it's specially great as a "lead-guitar fuzz pedal". Didn't liked for rhythm parts, and it has a very focused tone on some frequencies. I remember how "open" a timmy sounded compared with it. If I had to choose I would get a 70s again, specially one of the older big case ones, just more cool than the standard enclosure. But a floydian solo player would love the LM.

Did you have a deluxe model? The brite and range knobs (especially range, IMO) are helpful to dial it in for rhythm tones. I'll give you a discount if you ever want to try it again.

http://skreddypedals.com/manuals/LunarDlxSettings.pdf

• Members

I've been using the newer '70 for quite some time now. I love it. Some people are saying the mid control isn't actually a mid control.. well.. that's bs.. at least for the newer '70. I have the mids set at about half way and the pedal cuts through like a banshee on a hot summers day.. It also has a bias trim-pot inside.. the pedal has some great gated/velcro tones.

Anyway.. I'd go '70 all the way.. it ended my fuzz search.

oh.. and the thing has got some huge headroom.. I've got the fuzz knob maxed.. and the volume at about 8 a'clock for unity gain.

• Members

If you want more mids from a Skreddy Lunar Module, you do have bona-fide tone controls (and just because there's no knob labelled "mids" doesn't mean you can't boost the mids: turn up volume, turn down brite, & turn up body, and you've got mids like a Tube Screamer). Also with the Lunar you get much higher input impedance than a classic Fuzz Face circuit (meaning it works well with wah pedals and does not need to see the guitar directly at its input), it cleans up much more gradually and controllably with the guitar volume, it has the ability to get much more fuzzy than a typical Fuzz Face (it can function as a silicon Tone Bender), has a multitude of different tonal variations (and is generally smoother sounding in all its settings than a classic Fuzz Face circuit), it has a much more usable low-gain range, and it is tweakable for various classic rock and cranked-amp-sim rhythm tones--it's not just a lead-guitar fuzz pedal.

All these features no doubt make the lunar module a great pedal, and the new compact "deluxe" model looks incredible!

You are 100% right that to my ears its a bit "smoother" - more liquid. And it def has a huge range of tone control as compared to a typical fuzz face variant.

It just wouldn't be the first thing to pop in my head if someone asked to compare fuzz face type pedals. If you want a fuzz face get one, flaws and all they are really great for what they do. The LM is in a whole class of its own to me :thu:

• Members

Did you have a deluxe model? The brite and range knobs (especially range, IMO) are helpful to dial it in for rhythm tones. I'll give you a discount if you ever want to try it again.

Much appreciated, your customer services beat Fulltone big time. I had the regular one, maybe the small side dials were not intuitive for tuning the pedal. But still, felt like the '70 is closer to the classic fuzz face tones, and the LM more army knife'd-

• Members

I've had both, still have the 70. The Fulltone is far less versatile and less refined which for me is good and bad. The 70 is far more raunchier and cleans up better, but no tone controls makes it a lot more unpredictable. Its squeaks and squawks, and only really sounds good in front of dirt. but it sounds {censored}ing glorious.

The LMD was great, but it was akin to my feelings with the Pharoah. It's a fuzz that's made to be more versatile and tone shapey, but it lost some of the mojo in the process. Now its more poilte, reliable and tame. Losing what makes in my opinion a fuzz, a fuzz.

I'd love to give the LMD mini a try when I get some disposable income again, as sometimes my cock rocker self could use a little refinement at times.

Archived