Craigslist... A wretched hive of scum and villainy?

• Members

There are certainly some good people out there. You see less in modern civilized societies; we're the least civilized.

Craigslist; had far more positive than negative experiences. Met a lot of nice people; sellers, buyers, musicians; met my room mate on Craigslist like 5 years ago in the musician's section.

• Members

Craigslist; had far more positive than negative experiences. Met a lot of nice people; sellers, buyers, musicians

Actually, you are right. I've made friends on Craigslist also, and I've had only positive buying experiences.

And thankfully I can easily spot the scum.

But it still boggles my mind how many people there are who think they can dupe someone into paying more for a used piece of gear than what it costs new. Better yet, they continue to post the item repeatedly for weeks on end :freak: as if someday a sucker will finally appear and make it all worthwhile.

• Members

met my room mate on Craigslist like 5 years ago in the musician's section.

Is that the codename for the m4m section of SF Craigslist? :D Just kiddin, faldoe!

San Diego has a decent Craigslist, but too many folks trying to pawn off used gear for retail prices. I've had some decent scores, but honestly would prefer to order stuff from retailers or manufacturers online than go to some dude's house or meet them at Starbucks...

• Members

Except for the guy who said he didn't want to lowball, and then proceeded to offer me $15 on a $50 pedal, I've had nothing but positive experiences on the Omaha CL.

Omaha craigslist is a joke.. except the one time I saw a fender rhodes go for $200!

• Members

The last thing i sold was a guitar. I was asking a more than reasonable price, but times being what they are, i wasn't getting many responses. I had to relist it several times, maybe four. Everytime i relisted it, within several hours i would get a text or email from this same guy asking if i wanted to trade my les paul for his korean bolt on neck blue and red swirl jackson v. Everytime he wrote it like it was the first time he had seen my ad. The ad even said no trades. If it had been identical everytime i would have thought it a scam, but we went back and forth a little the first time and i'm convinced it was a real person, just a very dumb one.

• Members

I'd say more delusional and clueless. Have had a couple good deals on CL but mostly the ads/prices are so ridiculous I just :rolleyes: or :lol: like this one...

Fender Altimat Chorus Amplifier. Great amplifier for at the house or for playing out somewhere. Asking $200.00 OBO

• Members

Is that the codename for the m4m section of SF Craigslist?
:D
Just kiddin, faldoe!

San Diego has a decent Craigslist, but too many folks trying to pawn off used gear for retail prices. I've had some decent scores, but honestly would prefer to order stuff from retailers or manufacturers online than go to some dude's house or meet them at Starbucks...

na the m4m section is the m4m section. A lot of assholes in that section though.

Never really had any terrible low ball experiences before. I had one guy come and demo my Banzai Cold Fusion I was selling for like almost 30 mins.

I gave away a bunch of old computer stuff - in the FREE section, this younger Asian lady and older Asian man came to get it all - like 5 towers, old laptops (trust me it was all nothing worth selling). We load some stuff in to their car and the guy comes back to the girl whispering something to her and she says "oh we can't take this, too old" and they want to give it all back.

ya

• Members

My local CL generally sucks. Not much worth buying if you're not on the hunt for something called a "FENDER SQUIRE GUITAR" or other (usually overpriced) crap.

But I have had a bit of luck here and there. Managed to buy (and later sell) a pair of cheap basses and a lower end Martin and Taylor acoustic on there in the past couple years or so... and just recently bought an older Big Baby for a nice price too. Also pulled off a nice trade with some local barcrawler for that Mesa I had a few years back. Outside of the Analogman TS I bought and flipped last winter though, I'm not sure I've seen more than 5 or 6 pedals even worth looking at on there though.

Oh, and tomorrow I'm buying a cheap e609 for comparison purposes.

But outside of those few gems, anytime I list anything of significance, I get tons of scammers, pfishers and nut jobs. Real pain in the ass. Still better than eBay though.

• Members

I've been getting asking price lately. People here just don't know how to haggle.

I actually MADE money when I sold my Blacktop JM because the retail price shot up after I bought mine. Not too shabby.

• Members

Recently a guy was selling an EHX pedal for a great price, so I called, and soon realized that the ad was only bait to get me to listen to a longwinded sales pitch about a bunch of expensive gear. Eventually I just said I only wanted the pedal. He said he'd call back in a few days, but I never heard back.

I have to admit it was a sneaky and clever ploy, but it was annoying nonetheless :facepalm:

• Members

I've had good experiences in Denver and Ottawa, ON. In Ottawa there was a music store that offered to let customers use it as a meeting and testing location for craigslist trades. In Denver, I just met everybody in the secure lobby of my building and led them to the community center room where I had the goods setup. Figured that was secure and anonymous enough (600 apartments, no name given).

• Members

I have 3 children- and very low funds. So Craigslist is a way for me to trade around and try alot of different gear. I have traded amps prob 5 times on cl. My last trade was a Jetcity Picovalve that i bought for $100 - traded for a mint Peavey Ultra 410. The guy bought the Peavey new in 99. He was sooo happy to get the Picovalve. I am still amazed at the Ultra.

• Members

It's gotten better now that I'm no longer selling synths as I got way more low-ballers and tire kickers when dealing with synth-heads (especially those who were just starting out) than with guitarists. Everyone I've met to do a deal with has been pretty cool. I've never felt threatened or creeped-out by anyone.

Archived