OK Now a Pro Reverb opportunity!

mhuxtable

• Members

Damn when it rains it pours....not enough money all at once!

Locally a 78? (I know it's late 70s) Pro Reverb. 70w so UL again. I know it's the Twins little bro....might be a better choice. New Jensen C12n speaker (dunno what that is....school me?)

Asking 600....or trade for small tube amps of equal value.

I have that super clean late 70s Champ....offer that plus 250? That seem fair?

• Members

Pro Reverb is a 2x12 and about 40w, if it's a later 70w '70s model it should be easy to tell by the Vibrato channel having the mids control.

The ad said it is 70w. It's hard to see in the pic, but I'd trust the ad is correct.

If it's a 70W Pro, then it's a late 70s Ultra Linear model. I'm not a huge fan of the U/L models. $600 is around where SF Twins regularly sell for out here. Pro Reverbs generally sell for a bit more, so I'd say $600 is a decent to good price - if you want a U/L Pro. I'd rather save up a bit more and get a pre-77 Pro, but YMMV.

• Members

I know you said it's gone, but if you run across one again, that's on the good side of average eBay price (though with the speaker replacement, maybe it was even better?). Supposedly they can be modded to original specs, though I don't know how much it'd cost. That being said, if the retrofitting is not too expensive, you'd have a heck of an amp on your hands. I've heard all kinds of raves about the 40 watt models, but those are pricey.

I've got an 81/82 that actually has blackface cosmetics (I think they did this for about 2-3 years post SilverFace before they nixed them). I bought it around 2004 or so for $765 I think (it's been awhile). And had always considered having it modded. My Yammie hollobody with an SD-1 sounds killer through it when I start cranking it.

If you're still intent on getting one, shoot me a PM. (Sorry Phil if that takes it too close to spam).

• Members

Ive had a 1976 and a 1969 40 watter non mv....the difference is huge. The 70 watter is so much colder and harsh sounding, especially when you crank it up. And overdrives and fuzz sounded extremely bad with th 70 watter. I did the mistake of testing it out on low volume in a store and without tring any dirtpedals with it. On low volume clean the later 70' fender amps sound good......but not when u crank them a bit more. Thats the experience ive had with twins and pro reverbs at least.

Supposedly they can be modded to original specs, though I don't know how much it'd cost. That being said, if the retrofitting is not too expensive, you'd have a heck of an amp on your hands. I've heard all kinds of raves about the 40 watt models, but those are pricey.

Converting the U/L amps requires swapping out transformers and adding a tube, so it's not a cheap or super easy mod.

I've got an 81/82 that actually has blackface cosmetics (I think they did this for about 2-3 years post SilverFace before they nixed them). I bought it around 2004 or so for $765 I think (it's been awhile). And had always considered having it modded. My Yammie hollobody with an SD-1 sounds killer through it when I start cranking it.

If you're still intent on getting one, shoot me a PM. (Sorry Phil if that takes it too close to spam).

No worries - I don't consider that spam. :)

The very end of the line Pro Reverbs from the early 80s were indeed back to blackface cosmetics... but are still Ultra Linear Silverface amps internally. 70W from a pair of 6L6's. The rectifier is solid state too, where the 40W Pro Reverbs have a tube rectifier in them, so that further complicates the conversion process. Still, even the later ultra-linear Pro Reverbs probably make more sense than a similar era Twin for most players.

• Members

Don't know about the amp, and even though it's too late anyway: Keep an eye for future C12N opportunities. I put a pair of those in my old twin reverb (early 70s sf, 100watt). Amazing speakers, they basicly were my favorite thing about that twin. Everywhere where I played where there was a middle age fender expert or amp guru around, I always god comments like "damn son, are those new speakers in there??".

• Members

well, if i were you i would go for the pro. just cuz i dont need the power the twin would provide. but i dunno man its up to you. both are awesome amps.

this is not the old 35 watt pro reverb, this is the 70 watt ultra linear version... prob not much less "power" than a twin.

the UL are good clean amps :idk:

• Members

I had a UL Super Reverb and thought it was quite nice. I think these amps get a bad rap. Clean, punchy, and deep, with the great Fender reverb and trem. Played many a UL Twin Reverb and like them also. I'm a pedal guy, so I like that big, clean palette.

Archived