Anyone use or used a Peavey Musician 400 amp head?

hangwire

• Members

The earliest model of this head specifically. Here is a stock photo:

el-aminlifeproductionsculturalinstitute.

The one I am looking at is $100, and I'm getting it to reduce the amount of size amp I bring to band practice. It would be used through a 4x12 cab that stats at the practice space.

For $100 it seems like a decent practice workhorse. Reverb and trem (no footswitch - which I don't think I'll hold out hope to find as it is a 3 pin and who knows how many buttons...) 2 sides, a 6 band eq, 4 inputs do a drum machine and synth and bass and guitar could all be used through it in a pinch, which can be run through seperate distortion and fuzz (the fuzz seems pretty interesting, like a studio tool in itself - Linda like that one effects head that shin ei made idn_smilie.gif )

So any users that can chime in? Its half asuch as a lunchbox amp or ehx power amp, and more versitile than a crate power block or ehx amp head pedal.

• Members

I used one back in the late 70's (it belonged to our bass player).
Make sure you plug in any OD's that you have...iirc they have a different, nontubey response to ODs and boost...
But it'll outlive the cockroaches, and act as a decent backup if youever need it...Hartley made some robust stuff.

• Members

Think of it this way:

Would you spend a hundred bucks on a clean boost that has acres of headroom, accepts multiple-ins, has a dirt option, never needs a battery change, and-uh-btw will drive a halfstack to the edge of destruction?

Just buy the damn thing.

• Members

I have that exact model, been in storage since the late 90s since it was impossible to sell for anything to make it worth the effort, and I figure it could be an ok bass amp if needed. gave up hope on finding a footswitch and peavey couldn't provide me any details that would help build a replacement. it was ok for really dirty punk stuff, perhaps there was something wrong with mine as it was never really loud at all, easily drowned out by a drummer or my friends little peavy bandit he used when we played together in high school. there was also some leakage from one side to the other, if you were plugged into the clean side and had the fuzz or trem on even a little on the other side you would get background noise.

• Members

Got one of these a few years ago and used it as my main amp until it just got too big to carry around all the time. It sounds pretty great, and it's a workhorse and you really can't beat them for the value.
I'd go for it!

• Members

I have the bass-amp version of the musician. Its pretty awesome. Someone had fucked up the power chord so I got it for free. My old band pretty much only used old Peavey SS amps because we could do horrible, mean, wicked things to them and they would take the abuse like a real man's amp. We never would record with them, had to use the prissy tube-amps for that. smile.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by nomenclature

View Post

I have that exact model, been in storage since the late 90s since it was impossible to sell for anything to make it worth the effort, and I figure it could be an ok bass amp if needed. gave up hope on finding a footswitch and peavey couldn't provide me any details that would help build a replacement. it was ok for really dirty punk stuff, perhaps there was something wrong with mine as it was never really loud at all, easily drowned out by a drummer or my friends little peavy bandit he used when we played together in high school. there was also some leakage from one side to the other, if you were plugged into the clean side and had the fuzz or trem on even a little on the other side you would get background noise.

I'll post back after next band practice with how it did. Testing it though, it was really loud and no bleed over between sides.

• 8 months later...
  • Members
Quote Originally Posted by Moustache_Bash View Post
How did you end up liking this head Hangwire?
It's a nice workhorse to leave at a practice space - but it's not something that especially sounds good. Better than a practice amp as it has some volume to it, but as a main amp it's best at noisy dicking around if that

For what I paid, great value though icon_lol.gif

Archived