The official Euro 2012 thread...

juri

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Cheating is cheating and it's shameful and pathetic whoever does it (and Portugal did it a lot last night, although of course they're not the only ones). The saddest thing is that all the falling about and feigning injury makes very little difference to the outcome of most games, which makes you wonder why they they do it.

Portugal won last night because Holland gave Nani and Ronaldo too much space for pretty much the entire game while never pressing enough in the midfield or being disciplined in defence or regularly threatening in attack and Portugal exploited Holland's weaknesses very well. I'm glad that the best team won, personally.

• Members

Cheating is cheating and it's shameful and pathetic whoever does it (and Portugal did it a lot last night, although of course they're not the only ones). The saddest thing is that all the falling about and feigning injury makes very little difference to the outcome of most games, which makes you wonder why they they do it.

Portugal won last night because Holland gave Nani and Ronaldo too much space for pretty much the entire game while never pressing enough in the midfield or being disciplined in defence or regularly threatening in attack and Portugal exploited Holland's weaknesses very well. I'm glad that the best team won, personally.

I agree with you. And i have my own personal theory for why we dive so much. We're South Europeans (check italy and spain), therefore "crying" is a culture impregnated way of achieving things...sports is just a mirror of that. Yet, in the end, it doesn't affect much of the final outcome..Whoever wins, deserved it (most of the time) and whining about others diving is like whining about bad language used on the field.

• Members

I agree with you. And i have my own personal theory for why we dive so much. We're South Europeans (check italy and spain), therefore "crying" is a culture impregnated way of achieving things...sports is just a mirror of that. Yet, in the end, it doesn't affect much of the final outcome..Whoever wins, deserved it (most of the time) and whining about others diving is like whining about bad language used on the field.

Yeah, I wouldn't argue that Portugal didn't deserve to win. They outplayed Holland. They had plenty of skill. The diving didn't really have anything to do with the outcome.

That said, all the diving Portugal engages in (and this has been the norm everytime I've watched this team, going back to the World Cup two years ago) just makes the game tough to watch. It's hard to get into a game when grown men are rolling around on the ground like they've been shot anytime someone touches them. It makes the whole sport look awful for that sort of {censored} to go on at this level. Watching that sort of thing, I can understand why many of my fellow Americans think soccer is a silly game.

And the sad thing about it all is that Portugal has plenty of talent. Like I said before, on paper, I would think they would be a fun team to follow. But every time they go out there and turn the game into a dive-fest, it just becomes a chore to watch.

• Members

Yeah, I wouldn't argue that Portugal didn't deserve to win. They outplayed Holland. They had plenty of skill. The diving didn't really have anything to do with the outcome.

That said, all the diving Portugal engages in (and this has been the norm everytime I've watched this team, going back to the World Cup two years ago) just makes the game tough to watch. It's hard to get into a game when grown men are rolling around on the ground like they've been shot anytime someone touches them. It makes the whole sport look awful for that sort of {censored} to go on at this level. Watching that sort of thing, I can understand why many of my fellow Americans think soccer is a silly game.

And the sad thing about it all is that Portugal has plenty of talent. Like I said before, on paper, I would think they would be a fun team to follow. But every time they go out there and turn the game into a dive-fest, it just becomes a chore to watch.

Some people think its silly, i actually think its part of the game. If i wanna see a perfect, played by super-athletes, monitored refereeing and non-theatrical sport ill watch an american one. But that bores the {censored} out of me. And i rather be entertained watching sports...cuz thats what it is, not a moral code of conduct for society, entertainment.

• Members

I agree. Also, I think that to say the diving doesn't affect the game as some have tried to argue is wrong. Every time the ref falls for it, whether the resulting free kick proves fruitful or not, it still gives that team more possession. Every second that ticks away with a team in possession of the ball as a direct result of cheating is affecting the result.

• Members

Hmm no.....ukraine lost to france so no chance to pass them unless they win against england.

Thanks to Sweden England will play Italy instead of Spain. If they win against Italy they will go up against Czech or Portugal to be in the final. They should thank Sweden on their bare knees and promise not to make any blonde jokes for the next decade.

Ukraine is out. Spain or Germany will be out before the final :(

Archived