played some pedals, bought some pedals & tell me what year this SF twin reverb is pls

hangwire

• Members

So had a cancelation for my last patient, and hit a few shops with the intention of seeing if I could find a DOD Classic Fuzz or Milk Box.

MusicGoRound was the first stop that was helpful, everything prior had some DOD/PDS digitech stuff [Recordhead had a DOD American Metal, Uncle Bob's had a pds1002, 1700, and the Midi pedal one].

MGR had a Classic Tube... so close. But they also had a Behringer Super Feedback/Distorter and an Ibanez pm7 Phase Modulator. Used a Fender Strat they had with all 3 single coils.

ad8ffafe.jpg

Played it through a Fender silverface Twin Reverb with a master volume and a push pull on that pot, which I guess was either a bright or boost as it gave it a little "umpfh" but I was running it like a non-master with that control maxed and the volume at 4. I snapped a pic of the logo as I think people could tell me the year of the amp from that and the master knob info. Was this an Ultra Linear one?

672ee7b1.jpg

So, the DOD Classic Tube was meh. Muddy for 70% of the tone. Best sounding use beyond the insane maxed gain for buzzy fuzztortion was gain at almost min and volume maxed as a booster.

The Behringer Super Distortion/Feedback couldnt even get to unity with volume maxed, and the distortion was not a BOSS DS-2 as I expected... much thinner and what i think of when I think {censored}ty BOSS dirt pedal. The Overtone seemed a little less cheesy on this pedal than on the original BOSS one from memory, but the volume drop was too much... unusable for me. Maybe it was broken :idk:

The Ibanez Phase Modulator. I owned this pedal in 2004 or so when it first came out and I was soarly disappointed... returned it after a few days back to MF.com. Always kinda was miffed by this pedal. Well, using it more as a subtle effect in square wave mode it worked better for me. Not sure if I can pull this off with a patch in the Line 6 m9 I have, so I will try and check that soon. The extreme feedback at either + or - 10 would cause the speaker cloth/grill to flap :lol: It was listed for $39.99 and I Hiwatt Bob's the guys and they took it down a few bucks which made it worth it to me to walk out of there with it :lol:

eefe45f2.jpg

so on my way home I hit RockHaus [the home of the Interfax Harmonic Percolator info] as they have a huge older cheapy pedal case. They had a Ibanez PM7 for $60, and a DOD Milk Box... as time to get going on night plans was approaching, I bought it untested... so I am hoping this will be a compressor that can work in drone/huge feedback/sustain way.

the haul:

73396d78.jpg

anyone know if the Digitech Main Squeeze is an updated version of the Milk Box?

• Members

Just look on the back panel for 100w or 135w rating, 100w = 72-77, 135w = 77-82 ultralinear. Lots of twins have master volumes.

I didn't like it enough to buy it, especially at that price as Twin reverbs periodically come up on craigslist for under $600 ... just would be nice to know if that in fact was the ultra linear one that people bitch about. :lol:

• Members

Music Go Round uses the same price tags as Play It Again Sports.

I worked at a Play It Again Sports a long time ago and still have my super sweet name tag.

IMG_3821a.jpg

{censored}in Butt Master right here.

I pointed that out once to the guy at Play It Again here in town and he got all pissy :lol:

Ok so either you use the same label maker machine/setup or the parent company ownes both niche resale shops, what's to get huffy about :lol:

• Members

through my home amp, I hear some cycle lfo way in the background when bypassed... the power in that room has lots of radio signal and I have been meaning to try and figure this out anyway,

...but is this an issue with this pedal anyway, kinda like the old small stones?

• Members

so ultra linear specifies "what" that people hate? it is just intangible guitar jargon stuff, or is something different in the circuit that is meant to make a different sound?

Ultralinear is some other way of wiring the transformer for more peak power, borrowed from HiFi Amps.

I like mine.

"A master volume was added in 1972."

-Fender Field Amp Guide

I'm not much of an amp geek other than Princetons though. So that site could even be off

Yes, that's correct. 72-73 is when the master volumes started showing up.

The other big clue is the Fender logo on the grille. If there's a "tail" under the word Fender, it's probably from '73 or earlier - if it doesn't have the tail, chances are it's a '73-'74 or later.

Unfortunately, I don't have enough to go on to give you an exact date on that amp - I'd need to see more of it, and I'd also need some pot codes as well as the speaker and transformer codes in order to give you an accurate date and tell you if it's an UltraLinear model or not.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

just an update in case anyone reads this looking for PM7 info

I returned it as on higher rates in square wave mode you could hear the cycle in the bypassed signal, which actually {censored}ed with the tracking of other pedals downline :|

In the rapid/ring mod mode you can hear the carrier frequency in the background when bypassed too

no idea if I had one that was compromised, but I wasn't going to keep a pedal around with those issues. I debated it as it was not too obvious, and might have been cool on my casiotone, but I found that the m9 could pull off the square wave filtery stuff easily enough, however the mod I though could do it severely disappointed [biphase clone].

Archived