Souldier Straps...

erksin

• Members

Got one and love it? I'm interested in buying one and would like to know the quality.

Also - any coupon codes to share..?

Thanks in advance.

Yes, I love mine. I have 2 and want to buy more but I only take 2 guitars to a gig so what's the point? I got both of mine for fairly good deals (never paid more than $30) they are cool patterns and cool/interesting patterns seem to go for more $.

Got my first one from a shop in Seattle and 2nd one on eBay. eBay has fairly descent deals for them almost all the time.

worth $40 more than a couch strap?

I dunno - I've never owned a Couch strap. I know, I know... hard to believe, but true. Seems everyone else around here has at least one though. :lol::facepalm::o However, they look kind of thick to me. I'm not sure how I'd feel about that. :idk:

I like the old Hootenanny straps. I like the detail and colors of the woven patterns. They were around when I was a kid and first starting out, and they're still popular today. Between those, and the straps Fender used to throw in with their guitars, and some nylon 2" straps, and the occasional leather strap, that's pretty much all I've ever used - it was all cheap! :lol: Now, if you want a Hootenanny strap, it's gonna cost you... especially some of the more famous vintage patterns. Still, like I said in the review, the Souldier's a much better made strap than a vintage Ace or Bobby Lee strap. The leather's thicker and the stitching is much better, and there's more of it. The materials used for the back of the Souldier straps is recycled seatbelt (in a variety of colors); it is tough as nails and won't mar your guitar finish like some of the vintage ones can. The woven fabric is, of course, the same as the vintage straps. Looks great IMO. I'd rather have a new Souldier than a worn out overpriced vintage Ace off of Ebay.

But I still can't tell you if it's better than a Couch, or worth the $40 extra (and I'm taking you at your word on that - I have no idea what the Couch straps sell for) - but I suspect that it ultimately comes down to your personal preferences and tastes. Based on the reports I've read from Couch strap owners, I imagine they make very nice straps too. Like I said, they're very popular around HCEF.

• Members

sells them and they don't charge shipping.

Thanks for the link - none of them is the one I had my eye on though. They have a pretty big selection - way more than anybody else online.

I couldn't find it anyplace else cheaper, so I just bought'd it direct. I can return it if it sucks balls, so no biggie.

Thanks for the help people!

• Members
I dunno - I've never owned a Couch strap. I know, I know... hard to believe, but true. Seems everyone else around here has at least one though.
:lol::facepalm::o
However, they look kind of thick to me. I'm not sure how I'd feel about that.
:idk:

They are thick, but I find that helps to distribute weight more evenly despite it only being 2" wide. I find them to be very comfortable generally, but if I played a really heavy guitar I might want something wider. I tried one with my 9.5lb Deluxe and after awhile my shoulder was definitely feeling it. That guitar gets a neoprene ComfortStrapp that I got from The Bass Center before they closed.

strap-pic.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Well I love it:

SouldierdSpecial.jpg

Super comfy, great quality, and the pattern and colors were exactly as represented on the website. Aside from the shipping which took a long time (they use FedEx Ground) and was IMO overly expensive vs. other brands like Couch who ship via USPS I am a very happy customer.

• Members
That pattern works great with that guitar Mike!
:cool:

Queer Eye'd.

Can you tell I used to match paint/color consult for a living? And you'd think it would make me a snazzier dresser, but apparently this is as far as it goes.

:lol:

• Members

my couch strap is almost too thick. its one of those pleather ones, none more black i think. it looks cool but its not that comfortable. these designer strap prices are completely insane and getting worse.

$40 for a fully customized handmade strap is pretty dang reasonable IMO.

my couch strap is almost too thick. its one of those pleather ones, none more black i think. it looks cool but its not that comfortable. these designer strap prices are completely insane and getting worse.

I certainly wouldn't want to spend much more than what I did on the Souldier straps on ANY strap. Yes, they're expensive, but spending $50 to bling out a guitar you spent a grand on doesn't seem too unreasonable. But I do hear you about the prices. It's as if someone took the standard 2" nylon straps and started selling them for five times what they used to cost. :lol: Okay, it's not that bad, and there's a big difference between just a nylon strap and jacquard weave material sewn to a nylon strap, but I really do remember when you could walk into practically any music store and find an assortment of Ace straps on sale for $10 or less... but $10 back then is equivalent to about $35 today once you take inflation into account. Then toss in the current relative scarcity of the raw material (jacquard weave fabric) and the hassles associated with sourcing it, and consider that some of the most popular vintage straps / patterns can go for even more used, and $60 doesn't seem terribly outlandish to me.

Archived