Beat Kangz of Comedy - epic fail?

xmlguy

• Members

Best.Thread.Ever. :love::love::love:

CHEZZ, you dudes managed to turn defeat into an utter disgrace. Thats a pretty avantgarde marketing strategy, dissing your customers, not really efficient but fun as hell. I do hope you will grace us with some more comments soon :thu:

• Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've been reading a lot about the Beat Thang, and it's certainly interesting. The Beat Kang guys are obviously good sound designers (or good at selecting samples from records, whatever works), but it takes an INSANE amount of work and money to create an embedded OS piece of hardware from scratch, especially one with disk streaming, loads of MIDI, a halfway decent sampling engine, etc.

So there's no way these guys actually designed the product. They most likely found investors, brainstormed on what they wanted, hired an east Asian (or maybe Ukranian?) design team, and had them build a ($$$) prototype. Then tweaked the interface, programmed a bunch of sounds, and so on...

Not that there's anything wrong with that. I give 'em props for pulling off what a lot of us would love to do. Hell, I've been working on my product line for upwards of five years.

Doesn't mean their marketing doesn't suck major ass tho'. "No such thing as bad publicity" doesn't apply to selling MI hardware.

I mean the Segway garnered a lot of attention too. And now it's a laughingstock.

• Members

I think the Beat Kangz have failed to notice that the core demographic of this forum is pasty middle aged white guys who sit in the basements of their suburban homes masturbating over how "creamy" the filters of their $5000 analog synths are while their dysfunctional wives are off banging pilates instructors.

Perhaps if Beat Kangz called it the "Analog Knob Thang", put 50 knobs on the top, sold it for $4000 and offered a free eBay service so perspective buyers could flip it after they got bored skimming through the presets and twisting knobs? :confused:

• Members
I think the Beat Kangz have failed to notice that the core demographic of this forum is pasty middle aged white guys who sit in the basements of their suburban homes masturbating over how "creamy" the filters of their $5000 analog synths are while their dysfunctional wives are off banging pilates instructors.

Hey, bitch! My house doesn't have a basement. :mad:

• Members
Oh. I do have one of those. Sorry. Please, continue.

All joking aside, I'd buy the Beat Thang except it isn't as ghetto as my MPC.

Maybe if the Kangz can customize my Beat Thang? Make it waterproof so I can pour the backwash from my 40's onto it? Docking station for my Glock perhaps? Flip the grill ovah to reveal a tray to roll blunts?

:idk:

• Members

Yeah, threatening Akai employees with death is really just retarded. So is spelling the word meet like meat. I highly doubt Akai took some unknown's ideas. That drum machine is just a modified SR-16. Akai is most certainly able to come up with ideas of their own. They probably passed because they weren't interested. So Zoom took it. I'm sure it wasn't hard to convince them.

• Members

how does one oust the competition while trying to only take a small segment of their customers? AKAI didn't create the MPC for hip-hop. the Kangz are aware of this, right? it became a hip-hop staple because of the way it works. to this day it is not marketed as a hip-hop machine. to some degree yes, they do play to that market, but it's still primarily pushed as a solid, totally vanilla sampler with a tried and true OS and sequencer. that's it.

there are bazillions (that's 888 million) of MPC users that don't do hip-hop, or anything even close. Peter Gabriel still sequences on an MPC for god's sake! he may not be hood enough for the Kangz but he's the kind of hardware-obsessed dude with a whole lot of money that anyone would love to have for a customer.

this is a tough market. musicians are notoriously poor. and in these computery times less likely than ever to spend money on anything. i would think a new company, a new HARDWARE company especially, would do everything in their power to make the appeal for their product as wide as possible. your customers are not idiots, they know what tools they need to make their music. they don't need street cred shoved down their throats. instead, give them a little respect and wow them with a working, solid product that has the features they need. let them decide what kind of music to make with it. and super importantly, give the impression that this is a totally professional operation that is not going to disappear in 9 months. things like beat making challenges to your competition's management (those guys are businessmen btw) just spell disaster waiting to happen.

enter the market humbly and let the product speak for itself. you need to convince people to hand you their hard-earned $999/$499/whatever it costs. that's a lot of money for a young kid trying to get into making beats. it's a lot of money for a 35 year old trying to make techno. why not have both of these people as your happy customers? that's what AKAI has. and if you really want to make a dent that is what you'd need.

how many musicians are there still using hardware? ok, now how many of those are unhappy with their MPC and/or looking for a new sequencer? now how many of them have the money, right now, to buy it? ok, now how many of those people are making rap music and are not turned off by the blatant and somewhat insulting pitch? now, how many of those are willing to give you their money? that's the potential customer base that they've widdled themselves down to. seems like a death wish, from a business standpoint.

i'd personally love to a see a new kid on the block. but i'd like it to speak english (i know they think this is just people being corny and uptight but it's serious, and that's scary), have a website with real information and a working product, and not blatantly dictate who should and should not use it. pretend we're all dudes with a bunch of money to spend who are sick of our MPCs. why wouldn't you want our money?

• Members

Heh. But, well, like I said, they even got comments on their wack marketing in futureproducers. Which pretty much *is* their target audience.

Now, if they can pull off some of their spec for a reasonable price, seriously, the wack marketing won't matter much. Behind all the snide comments, you can see some people thinking that this might be cool *if* they pull it off. :idk:

• Members

Now, if they can pull off some of their spec for a reasonable price, seriously, the wack marketing won't matter much.

Maybe, but what happens when you have a repair issue?

Audacity: Hi guys. My Beat Thang's outputs are suddenly distorted.

Beat Kang: Yo yo yo! That shee-ite be trippin', dawg! I dunno', whatchu' wanna do?

Audacity: Well, I'd like to get it repaired if I can. I just bought it two months ago.

Beat Kang: Naw, man. You gotz ta' jus flow with that. Distortion be all sick, dog!

Or if you have a technical issue:

Audacity: Hi guys. The USB input on my Beat Thang is having trouble resolving to external clock when receiving 48k.

Beat Kang: Awwww yeaaaahh... Thatz why youz gotz ta' bust that 44-point-one, dawg! It's CD-quality, biotch!

Audacity: But it's for post, and your input converters and op-amps are a little noisier than I'd like.

Beat Kang: Daaaamn! Cleanz out yo ears, B! Our {censored} is tight! Wut, you work for Akai?

Yeah, I might want to support a company with a half-way professional reputation instead. Like Akai.

• Members

If it's secretly a Zoom box in disguise, then your product's tech support and repairs will be mishandled by the fine folks at Samsung. For all I know, they would do a better job than Numark mishandling Alesis products (including the much-forum-worshiped Andromeda).

Of course, a lot of this remains to be seen. So far, the Beat Kangz forum guys have not learned that even hip-hop producers are not impressed by hip hop slang alone. And so far, hip hop slang is their only product.

• Members
Maybe, but what happens when you have a repair issue?

Audacity:
Hi guys. My Beat Thang's outputs are suddenly distorted.

Beat Kang:
Yo yo yo! That shee-ite be trippin', dawg! I dunno', whatchu' wanna do?

Audacity:
Well, I'd like to get it repaired if I can. I just bought it two months ago.

Beat Kang:
Naw, man. You gotz ta' jus flow with that. Distortion be all sick, dog!

Or if you have a technical issue:

Audacity:
Hi guys. The USB input on my Beat Thang is having trouble resolving to external clock when receiving 48k.

Beat Kang:
Awwww yeaaaahh... Thatz why youz gotz ta' bust that 44-point-one, dawg! It's CD-quality, biotch!

Audacity:
But it's for post, and your input converters and op-amps are a little noisier than I'd like.

Beat Kang:
Daaaamn! Cleanz out yo ears, B! Our {censored} is tight! Wut, you work for Akai?

Yeah, I might want to support a company with a half-way professional reputation instead. Like Akai.

^^^ That is the funniest post I have ever read on KSS. :thu:

• Members

we can speculate all day. instead, this would make a great choose-your-own-adventure book!

BKE Headquarters, 2PM, Thursday before NAMM...

Receptionist Sondra "Shorty" Wilson is sitting at her desk, checking her email and noticing how quiet it is. just then, the phone rings. she answers, then quickly fumbles for the intercom.

Shorty: "Mr. Boom Bap? Yes, you have a call on line two. And I've got those TPS reports for you. Should I leave them on your desk?"

Boom Bap: "Yes, please. Go ahead and put them through."

Boom Bap lets out a deep breath, tries to relax and answers on the second ring.....

• Members

If it's secretly a Zoom box in disguise, then your product's tech support and repairs will be mishandled by the fine folks at Samsung. For all I know, they would do a better job than Numark mishandling Alesis products (including the much-forum-worshiped Andromeda).

Don't you mean Samsontech?

Regardless, according to the BK guys, Zoom isn't involved and tried to "rip them off" as well:

"ZOOM and Akai tried to rip us off and........ ROGER LINN too after telling us his sob story about how Akai did him wrong. Do those blue lights on his machine look familiar?? Why do you think he decided to come out with another drum machine after all these years.... Maybe i'll tell that story on youtube one day." - A.J.A

• Members

"ZOOM and Akai tried to rip us off and........ ROGER LINN too after telling us his sob story about how Akai did him wrong. Do those blue lights on his machine look familiar?? Why do you think he decided to come out with another drum machine after all these years.... Maybe i'll tell that story on youtube one day." - A.J.A

{censored}ing hell! Roger Linn is the last guy to rip anyone off! The Linndrum has blue lights because it's made by DSI. He came out with a drum machine because people have been begging him to do so for quite some time...

That is beyond the pale. :facepalm:

Now I know who the "haterz" are.

You know, up until this very point, I was going to give the Beat Thang a running chance and check one out when they were available - it honestly looks like a good fit for my needs. Now I wouldn't to touch one with a ten foot pole!

{censored}ing unbelievable.

Archived