Beat Kangz of Comedy - epic fail?

xmlguy

• Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It still looks like a pre-production prototype, not a tooled production model. Now I see why all their videos showed it in bad light, so that you couldn't see how poor the panel looks up-close.

Also notice the "Pre-Order The Hottest New Beat Make On The Planet."

Oh, dat's gonna happen. Anyone going to send them money to fund their first production run? Only da fooooools.

• Members

I'm curious as to how it will wind up.. Their product release has gone pretty badly it seems, but {censored}, this stuff happens... from what i've read on their website about their company, i'd guess that they came up with the specifications of the product, and guided the overall design, but they had a 3rd party (probably Zoom) do the actual hardware. They ( Beat Kangz) may have been told by Zoom that the product will be ready for NAMM, so they've kicked ahead with their PR campaign, and then Zoom have gone "whoops, ain't quite ready yet".. which would screw them over a bit.

but anyway.. without using the actual unit and the software, which will really make or break the unit, i do like

1) the shape of the pads. very similar to the E-MU command station pad layout, and

2) the mod and pitchbend wheels. you can never have too many modulation controls!

i don't like the visual styling. metal grills? nipple knobs? they make it look like a cheap crappy hi-fi, not a pro-piece of musical equipment. I'm all for making things look a bit bad-ass if you need, but you can do it in a way that doesn't pigeon hole a product too much...

• Members

but anyway.. without using the actual unit and the software, which will really make or break the unit, i do like

1) the shape of the pads. very similar to the E-MU command station pad layout

Agreed, but E-MU got it from Ensoniq in the first place.

asrxpro.jpg

:D

• Members

Knew I could trust you. ;)

Ah well, valuable lessons in how not to market a product. Still unsure as to whether it was a cheesy zoom ploy or these guys were for real. Maybe Akai had them assasinated? Either that or are planning to put them on the payroll...

• Members

please don't make them write another song about how they're being wronged. or is that wranged?

wow, that was really exciting, listening to them "rock dat" same beat for 3:25. wait -- hold on! they're gonna... REVERSE IT FOR A FEW BARS!!! HOLLA!

oh, and i don't know who this song is referring to, but by the time the video hit the 3:11 mark, i decided these fellas are exactly like my stereotype.

and you know what? that just feels good.

• Members

Anyone seen the Beat thang threads on VSE and GS? This has been wildly unpopular all over the net.

Even on mpc-forums, which is their target market... I'm sure once it's out and people are using it and these guys are too busy running their business to go round talking {censored} on the internet there'll be some balanced opinions on what the machine can actually DO, rather than just how it's marketed.

I'd be scared to buy one before the OS was 100% finished though, as there's a big danger they'll release it with a beta OS and then the company'll fold before it gets finished...

Just had a thought; if I were these guys I'd be shipping off a few units and the OS source code to the JJ guys ASAP.

• Members

this is very funny to me, how this has continued. For the record, Beat Kangz did not hang around the AKAI booth with our product hanging around our necks. We did however walk around the convention floor. I haven't been up on all of the BS being talked about here. We had a very successful experience at NAMM and details will follow. Users here can continue to talk trash, the bottom line is that our product is superior in it's creativity, tech specs, and design. Furthermore for everyone mocking the name as some sort

reference to our intelligent it's completely ridiculous. There is slang in every culture. I'm willing to bet my life that none of the users in this forum speak without some type of slang, and purchasing equipment whether it's a car or a musical instrument with unique lingo is a part of modern culture. We shall see who will have the last laugh.

• Members

Users here can continue to talk trash, the bottom line is that our product is superior in it's creativity, tech specs, and design.

Compared to what? An MPC500? Maybe. SP-606? Probably. Color me interested.

But if you think Beat Thang competes with the MPC5000 or MV-8800, you guys had better have extra MIDI, audio, and VGA I/O hiding on the bottom panel. No amount of software features can magically "kill" devices with vastly superior physical connectivity, especially when products like these thrive as the centerpiece of a larger production environment.

Oh, and it better have way more than 16 MIDI tracks too.

For the record, Beat Kangz did not hang around the AKAI booth with our product hanging around our necks.

Hmm... I also heard you guys were kicked out of the Roland booth for similar shenanigans. Not true? Dan from Fantomized.info would probably know; I'll ask him.

• Members

this is very funny to me, how this has continued. For the record, Beat Kangz did not hang around the AKAI booth with our product hanging around our necks. We did however walk around the convention floor. I haven't been up on all of the BS being talked about here. We had a very successful experience at NAMM and details will follow. Users here can continue to talk trash, the bottom line is that our product is superior in it's creativity, tech specs, and design. Furthermore for everyone mocking the name as some sort

reference to our intelligent it's completely ridiculous. There is slang in every culture. I'm willing to bet my life that none of the users in this forum speak without some type of slang, and purchasing equipment whether it's a car or a musical instrument with unique lingo is a part of modern culture. We shall see who will have the last laugh.

While I fully understood the use of slang, and the cultural myopia exhibited here at KSS, I must admit that your tone and general attitude set a negative precedent, here. This can be a tough crowd, and quite frankly you did not handle it like a "professional". You preferred to use "hype man" talk, rather than letting the product speak for itself.

Almost everyone here thought that the specs were impressive, and was wondering if you would really be able to bring such a product to market. There was a buzz and excitement (caused by you telling people to "wait for NAMM") to see what was what. Of course there was skepticism...that's also to be expected, as we know all too well about "vaporware" and unrealized products.

Ultimately your product will succeed or fail based, not on hype talk, but on performance and sales. You would probably do your bottom line better not to create animosity among your potential customer base. But hey, when it's your company you can do as you see fit.

I think the name is stupid and limiting, I would not have chosen it for my product, but only time will tell. Shoot man there are a lot of products that sell well with stupid names (Little Fatty, MoPho)! You probably should have just let that type of commentary pass. Anyway, good luck to you.

Archived