Danelectro Convertible

TravvyBear

• Members

i've had one since the summer of '99, when the reissue came out. the RIs definitely play different than the 60s originals and the masonite is much thicker. that said, the area under the bridge won't sink in and the electronics are actually grounded. overall, i think it exudes Dano vibe. but no, the RI won't give you the "authentic Dano experience".

• Members

i've had one since the summer of '99, when the reissue came out. the RIs definitely play different than the 60s originals and the masonite is much thicker. that said, the area under the bridge won't sink in and the electronics are actually grounded. overall, i think it exudes Dano vibe. but no, the RI won't give you the "authentic Dano experience".

I've heard it's hard to bend strings on it because the bridge isn't notched. True?

• Members

Basically a marketing gimmick. Drill a hole in the body and sell it as an acoustic/electric. Unplugged it sounds like a Dano unplugged. Plug it in it sounds like a single pup Dano, go figure... What it's missing is the Dano bridge pup for the trademark Dano two pup in series tone. Those lipstick pups had a low output on their own. When ran with both on in series the tone was heavenly. You could throw away the switch because you'd never have the pups on their own. ;)

• Members

Here's mine, as seen in Echo's recent Dano thread

DSC00722.jpg

DSC00724.jpg

DSC00723.jpg

One of my favorite guitars. Actually, that very picture of Tom Waits in the OP was the reason I started looking for a Convertible a few years ago. When I bought mine, the vintage models were selling for around $500-$600 in mint condition, a bit less if they didn't have the electronics. It was a bit more than I wanted to spend, and the reissues weren't popping up on eBay much, so I just waited for the right one to come along. Saw this one with a buy-it-now of $125, shipped, but no electronics. Couldn't say no. Not sure exactly what year this one is, but someone painted it a couple times and then someone sanded the paint off, which left it looking like this. But, I did have to repair a crack in the neck and fix the sunken top, which just required putting a few blocks of wood inside the guitar. DIdn't change the sound nearly as much as I was expecting.

They sound awesome, though, and can feed back in some wonderful ways.

• Members

Here's mine, as seen in Echo's recent Dano thread

DSC00722.jpg

DSC00724.jpg

DSC00723.jpg

One of my favorite guitars. Actually, that very picture of Tom Waits in the OP was the reason I started looking for a Convertible a few years ago. When I bought mine, the vintage models were selling for around $500-$600 in mint condition, a bit less if they didn't have the electronics. It was a bit more than I wanted to spend, and the reissues weren't popping up on eBay much, so I just waited for the right one to come along. Saw this one with a buy-it-now of $125, shipped, but no electronics. Couldn't say no. Not sure exactly what year this one is, but someone painted it a couple times and then someone sanded the paint off, which left it looking like this. But, I did have to repair a crack in the neck and fix the sunken top, which just required putting a few blocks of wood inside the guitar. DIdn't change the sound nearly as much as I was expecting.

They sound awesome, though, and can feed back in some wonderful ways.

more drooling.

• Members

I played one for a bit when they were first reissued. The bridge design seemed really bad to me. It didn't have the surface area or downforce a traditional floating design uses to hold the bridge in place with friction. It rested on three metal screw tips directly on the face of the instrument. Wanted to shift from left to right every time I hit the strings. I returned it because it looked like it would have worn a hole into/through the top quickly.

• Members

I played one for a bit when they were first reissued. The bridge design seemed really bad to me. It didn't have the surface area or downforce a traditional floating design uses to hold the bridge in place with friction. It rested on three metal screw tips directly on the face of the instrument. Wanted to shift from left to right every time I hit the strings. I returned it because it looked like it would have worn a hole into/through the top quickly.

The RI's bridge are suppose to be a lot better than the originals.

Archived