P-90 reccomendations anyone?

Josh33

• Members

Hey everyone,

as usual the guitar forum proves useless so ill ask you guys.

Just not vibing with the p100s in my les paul special anymore. I think its time for a change and im hoping to get some p90s in there. Any suggestions?

I've played a few vintage gibsons with p90s and loved them so i'm looking towards the vintage sounding route. Any suggestions would be appreciated though.

thanks guys!

• Members

gather exactly 90 P's and turn that fudgemother up aklfjasdfWE"t

that's how you make yours? i usually just drink like 20 bottles of wine and let er rip once a minute for an hour and a half

• Members

Anyway, I will be of no use probably because I was going to say hey have you tried p100s? I personally love them and have a pair in my stratosonic. Wicked combination. i usually cant deal with the p90 hum cause I tend to use a lot of distortion and fuzz (surprise, fuzz designer likes to use fuzz a lot).

However, there are a few I can anti-recommend. I think the fender black doves sound nice but they are super noisy so that's a problem for me. I have tried p90 sized humbuckers from vintage vibe that I like for some things but they were too clean for me. Not enough personality. Might be good for like jazz, though. I also tried a p90-sized super distortion in the bridge which was ok but I eventually got tired of it.

The lace alumitone p 90s are kinda cool, actually, if a bit non-traditional. They're sort of bassy and a bit dark but not really muddy. I eventually opted for p100s as they sounded more "Gibson" to me.

• Members

been very happy w/ gfs mean90s in my es335 knockoff. swapped out gibson classic 57s and have no regrets. but i'd definitely want to try some lollars/fralins/novaks/etc. but for the price, mean90s are definitely :thu:

• Members

I am looking into a set of these for my Ibanez AR-200. It is a 20 year old guitar and the original pickups are not that good. Very weak. I have seen the demos for the pickups. They are awesome and the Triple Shout switching system will keep from having to drill extra holes in the bode.

• Members

Gibsons. Sound like vintage '90's (in a warts and all kind of way), not an enhanced version.

Cheap (under $100 a pair on The Gear Page regularly).

$1 says once you install 'em, and spend some time adjusting them, you'll be thrilled.........

• Members

2 darkhorse, oldie-but-great alternatives... if you find them, you'll like them.

a) Gibson P-13 pickup...the one they sold to Harmony... just a bit darker/weaker than an old P-90....insane with a small clean boost.

b) Kay's "Kleenex box" pickups...the ones they had on their Barney Kessel model, plus a few others (Swingmaster, etc).
These sound remarkably like P-90's and can benefit from the same boost.

But ignore this, cus either would cost as much/more than the other alternatives already mentioned.

• Members

Gibsons. Sound like vintage '90's (in a warts and all kind of way), not an enhanced version.

Cheap (under $100 a pair on The Gear Page regularly).

$1 says once you install 'em, and spend some time adjusting them, you'll be thrilled.........

Yeah the Gibsons sound just as good as the boutique ones, bit more raunchy infact. Nothing wrong with em.

Archived