OT: Bane wanna be attacks!

mhuxtable

• Members

Why is that? So you could return fire like some stone cold dirty Harry mother {censored}er no doubt injuring and killing more innocent people scrambling for their lives? Good plan.

Dude, go troll somewhere else.

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

gun rights aside, It seems like a hassle to be carrying around a gun everyday waiting for something rare to happen.

Cellphone

wallet

car keys

gun holster

gun

extra clip

popcorn

large soda

raisinettes...

god damn

Its a free country though. Ive had one instance where I wish I could carry, nothing happened...I was glad.

• Members

gun rights aside, It seems like a hassle to be carrying around a gun everyday waiting for something rare to happen.

Cellphone

wallet

car keys

gun holster

gun

extra clip

popcorn

large soda

raisinettes...

god damn

Its a free country though. Ive had one instance where I wish I could carry, nothing happened...I was glad.

The extra clip in the list made me lulz. I can't help but thinking about how {censored}ty a day would have to be that I have the need for two clips.

• Members

The extra clip in the list made me lulz. I can't help but thinking about how {censored}ty a day would have to be that I have the need for two clips.

haha cant be too careful. Seriously though even having to take the gun out of the holster is a bad day right?

• Members

:facepalm:

Well the gunman had on a bullet proof vest and used smoke bombs to camouflage himself, and many patrons thought the smoke and gunshots were special effects, so how is having a gun on you going to help the situation?

• Members

Well the gunman had on a bullet proof vest and used smoke bombs to camouflage himself, and many patrons thought the smoke and gunshots were special effects, so how is having a gun on you going to help the situation?

I don't carry a gun waiting for {censored} to hit the fan so I can use it. I carry it so that if I have something to defend my family and I with if there is no other way out of a situation.

• Members

The problem with Conky's reasoning, and I get why he would want to "pack", but the problem is, and always has been, the shooter (in this case, someone who obviously planned for this attack) has the element of surprise. And unless you're military trained, and even then, your chances are not great. The shooter here picked a crowded, dark theatre, threw out tear gas, making everyone in the theater (except the shooter himself who had a gas mask), confused and panicked, making retaliation by other theater goers nearly impossible. And the threat of someone else with a gun shooting other innocent victims would be very plausible. Plus, the fact that in that moment of pandemonium, either the police or perhaps other theater goers would've mistaken you as another shooter, instead of trying to help.

I've been on the fence of whether to ban guns, different type of guns, etc. I think there is no hope in this cause. The best thing is to strictly tie in gun ownership to mental capacity. You have to be nuts to do what this asshole did. No sane, reasonable gun owner would do this, and it isn't fair to punish them. I just don't know how you could ever implement some sort of policy that makes everyone who owns a gun, take a mental health test, and not have the NRA or Ted Nugent screaming that Obama is taking away our 2nd amendment rights. Probably will never come to light. So I'm pretty resigned to the fact that every several weeks or months, there will be very violent shootings that will happen, loss of life will result, and I just hope that my family and friends aren't in the wrong place at the wrong time. 'Murica.

• Members

It'd be a sketchy situation, and I agree with you...but he's got the right to carry legally and its up to him really.

• Members

The problem with Conky's reasoning, and I get why he would want to "pack", but the problem is, and always has been, the shooter (in this case, someone who obviously planned for this attack) has the element of surprise. And unless you're military trained, and even then, your chances are not great. The shooter here picked a crowded, dark theatre, threw out tear gas, making everyone in the theater (except the shooter himself who had a gas mask), confused and panicked, making retaliation by other theater goers nearly impossible. And the threat of someone else with a gun shooting other innocent victims would be very plausible. Plus, the fact that in that moment of pandemonium, either the police or perhaps other theater goers would've mistaken you as another shooter, instead of trying to help.

I've been on the fence of whether to ban guns, different type of guns, etc. I think there is no hope in this cause. The best thing is to strictly tie in gun ownership to mental capacity. You have to be nuts to do what this asshole did. No sane, reasonable gun owner would do this, and it isn't fair to punish them. I just don't know how you could ever implement some sort of policy that makes everyone who owns a gun, take a mental health test, and not have the NRA or Ted Nugent screaming that Obama is taking away our 2nd amendment rights. Probably will never come to light. So I'm pretty resigned to the fact that every several weeks or months, there will be very violent shootings that will happen, loss of life will result, and I just hope that my family and friends aren't in the wrong place at the wrong time. 'Murica.

I get what you are saying, and if I had been in that theater the first thing I would have done in that situation would have been to try to get my family the {censored} outta there safely. At that point I wouldn't have been thinking about pulling my gun.

And banning guns won't do anything to keep them out of the hands of violent criminals, it will just keep the average law abiding citizen from being able to use one in self defense.

• Members

I get what you are saying, and if I had been in that theater the first thing I would have done in that situation would have been to try to get my family the {censored} outta there safely. At that point I wouldn't have been thinking about pulling my gun.

And banning guns won't do anything to keep them out of the hands of violent criminals, it will just keep the average law abiding citizen from being able to use one in self defense.

Yeah we're on the same page here. If I owned a gun, it's easy for me to say I would've taken the shooter out. But knowing some of the "facts" of this case, he had a bullet proof vest, an AK47, I wouldn't have stand a chance, running the hell out of there is the best recourse.

And I'm not advocating banning guns, there are just too many at this point in time anyway. There's a huge mental health crisis in this country. Sometimes it's tied to guns, often not. But when someone becomes unhinged, it is just too easy for them to get a gun, and do what this dude did here. I wish there were better ways to tie in gun ownership and mental health screenings. It would exhaustive to do, but hey, maybe we could employ thousands of psychology majors that are looking for work right now :D

• Members

Good post.

• Members

Gun control would be such a cluster{censored} at this point because 'bad guys' already have their unregistered guns and 'good guys' probably won't give all of theirs up. I know that if they put a law in place I would give up many of mine, but the ones they don't know about will be staying with me, and I feel like a lot of people would have a similar approach to it.

• Members

Yeah gun control that way it's been suggested in the past can't really happen, and neither political party is willing to touch it anymore (does any sane person think Obama is going to ever ban guns? {censored} no, political suicide). If we every have a national debate about what to do, it has to come from the people, and after every tragedy like this, it gets mentioned, until the story grows cold, and we move on to the next thing.

But some form of "test" for gun ownership could be helpful for future gun owners. Before you walk into a store to buy a gun, you must take a formal mental test of some sort, and if you pass, fine. Buy whatever gun that is legal. If you don't pass the test, then you're red flagged in some database, and every store that sells guns would not be able to sell to you. Sure, you could still get a gun on the black market, but that will always be there. And maybe you have to reapply for this test every 4 years or something. I dunno, just thinking allowed here.

I don't think many/any of us want people with mental issues owning guns. It just isn't safe. And I don't want to punish responsible gun owners/collectors either, it isn't fair. But the two groups of people that shouldn't be allowed to own or purchase guns, are convicted felons, and the mentally ill. We can do a better job in eliminating the sources of guns for these people, we choose not to. Somewhere, a sane dialogue between the NRA and the community at large needs to develop. We can keep the 2nd amendment as is, but still have some sort of "control". But like I said, I'm not very encouraged any of this can happen. So expect these "news stories" to continue. As they seem to nearly every week, somewhere. And not just the US lately either.

• Members

Yeah gun control that way it's been suggested in the past can't really happen, and neither political party is willing to touch it anymore (does any sane person think Obama is going to ever ban guns? {censored} no, political suicide). If we every have a national debate about what to do, it has to come from the people, and after every tragedy like this, it gets mentioned, until the story grows cold, and we move on to the next thing.

the times where drastic govt regulation changes have to come from the people are long gone.

• Members

But some form of "test" for gun ownership could be helpful for future gun owners. Before you walk into a store to buy a gun, you must take a formal mental test of some sort, and if you pass, fine. Buy whatever gun that is legal. If you don't pass the test, then you're red flagged in some database, and every store that sells guns would not be able to sell to you. Sure, you could still get a gun on the black market, but that will always be there. And maybe you have to reapply for this test every 4 years or something. I dunno, just thinking allowed here.

I don't think many/any of us want people with mental issues owning guns. It just isn't safe. And I don't want to punish responsible gun owners/collectors either, it isn't fair. But the two groups of people that shouldn't be allowed to own or purchase guns, are convicted felons, and the mentally ill. We can do a better job in eliminating the sources of guns for these people, we choose not to. Somewhere, a sane dialogue between the NRA and the community at large needs to develop. We can keep the 2nd amendment as is, but still have some sort of "control". But like I said, I'm not very encouraged any of this can happen. So expect these "news stories" to continue. As they seem to nearly every week, somewhere. And not just the US lately either.

I totally agree with this. And with that I will do my best to gracefully bow out of the gun control talk and focus on the scumbag who shot up that theater.

• Members

the times where drastic govt regulation changes have to come from the people are long gone.

Maybe. Occupy sort of tried. But they did ask for more accountability from our financial sector, and with the Consumer Watchdog Agency that was first brought together by Elizabeth Warren (now running for the Senate seat in MA), they have fined good ole Capital One with credit card fraud (imagine that) with a fine of $210 million, that they don't seem to be contesting.

So it can be done, just not easy. Nothing worth fighting for is though.

Archived