Trying to find the right fuzz... (aren't we all)

• Members

I hear ya. I'm a fuzz addict, and though I'm real picky, and don't like all of my fuzz peds with all different amps, I've got a pretty nice collection that sounds great to me in the right context.

Anyway, I found that small amps/speakers don't mesh with fuzz pedals, at least not to my taste. Fuzz needs power/loudness impo, or else you're going into vintage bloos/garage territory, which I personally don't like fuzz peds for...

It depends on the amp and pedal in my experience. Blues Jrs and their relatives are picky when running with fuzz, I find (and with most dirt pedals, really), but so is a bassman sometimes and that's plenty loud. Marshall-style amps are often nice with fuzz regardless of wattage. People also should not expect to play the exact same way with a fuzz and another type of pedal. Most fuzz pedals require that you adjust the type of chords and pick attack you use to some degree. Almost all of them work well for leads, though.

• Members

Using single coils? Running amp dirty, clean, or somewhere in between? What amp? When using a very slightly overdriven Marshall tube amp I was having good results with a Cesar Diaz Square Face, but with a Fender amp it would have been a totally different story. Every tiny detail has a major impact on the majority of fuzz out there. That is the finicky world of fuzz, though it was an amazing game, I'm glad I am out of it.

Ok... So all the fuzzes I've played either a. Dont cut through (muff) or b. are too splatty... I want something with cutting power, but still smooth and creamy... Is that too much to ask?

I'm working on a review of the Tech 21 Boost Fuzz pedal. You pretty much nailed the description of it. It is a germanium type fuzz that specializes in smooth sustainy fuzz tones, but it's got more upper mids and treble than most Muff type fuzzes, and a really nice tone control that allows you to dial up the tone you're after. It's definitely something that you should put on your radar and check out if you get an opportunity.

Archived