Anyone rocking a Yamaha SG???

woolyh

• Members

love mcgeogh...

ive played several vintage ones, and i always feel the same: the balance is weird (and I play a firebird!), its heavy as nuts,

and I dont like the pickups. theyve always been too reedy for me. That said, its really well made and pretty. I know a few players in Japan

that share my opinions, so its not all love and praises...

• Members

love mcgeogh...

ive played several vintage ones, and i always feel the same: the balance is weird (and I play a firebird!), its heavy as nuts,

and I dont like the pickups. theyve always been too reedy for me. That said, its really well made and pretty. I know a few players in Japan

that share my opinions, so its not all love and praises...

• Members

Wow, this was awesome. Those lo-fi vocals are amazing.

Around '99/2000 it seemed every band I saw live had these guys supporting. Saw them a couple of times at festivals too. Super hard working band but they split up after the first album.

Muse's first album came out at the same time - if you'd have asked me then which would go on to success based on those first albums, I'd have said Dark Star.

I've got an oooold one. I think its a '74, (cant, for the life of me, remember the model and the only numbers i could find are on the back of the pups). The pickups are absolute thunder, though they need re-potted. The wife and I call it the Old Man. It has the most singular tone of any guitar Ive ever owned, just
howls
. Its beat to {censored}. I think I paid 170 for it with a similarly beat to {censored} hard case.

2012-08-08_22-50-21_574.jpg

The Old Man dosen't give a {censored}, it just plays.

The Old Man is one bad guitar! :phil:

• Members

The Old Man is one bad guitar! :phil:

Sure is. Hasn't been getting as much use as I'd like lately, but this thread has pulled it off the rack. Back when I worked at a guitar shop, we had a couple great Yamahas come through, fortunately I got to keep the old man. The other one was a really beautiful black 1000 (I think, its been a couple years). It was a little out of my price range at the time, but I'd buy one in second if I saw another.

• Members

My brother-in-law's favorite guitarist. We were listening to / talking about Rik just a couple of days ago. Great player.

I saw Triumph many many times as a lad (and later Rik when he went solo). Great live band. Dude brought it every time he took the stage. A true musician who was not caught up in the whole 80's rock star thing. I used to learn some things from his monthly Guitar Player lessons as well.

He must cringe when he sees some the shots of himself from that era.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSMFIf9VPSUFGZSJfVoKlx

:facepalm:Those pants uhg.:lol:

• Members

My brother-in-law's favorite guitarist. We were listening to / talking about Rik just a couple of days ago. Great player.

I saw Triumph many many times as a lad (and later Rik when he went solo). Great live band. Dude brought it every time he took the stage. A true musician who was not caught up in the whole 80's rock star thing. I used to learn some things from his monthly Guitar Player lessons as well.

He must cringe when he sees some the shots of himself from that era

:facepalm:Those pants:lol:

• Members

He must cringe when he sees some the shots of himself from that era.

:facepalm:Those pants uhg.
:lol:

I saw them on their first headlining American tour supporting Just A Game in 1979. They ran through both albums worth of songs (JAG and Rock And Roll Machine), so they played a bunch of Zeppelin covers including Rain Song which KILLED.

• Members

+1

Also on my "highly underrated" list.

There was a GP article in 1994/5 call 'Pawnshop Prizes' - their first installment was an Ibanez Artist and an early '60s Gibson Falcon amp. A couple weeks later, I'm in my local pawnshop in Montrose, CO and I come across a Falcon and thought "WTF I'll try it - GP says it's good." I plugged in, shat my pants, slapped down the $225 asking price and ran out the door before he asked for more money. It's been my #1 ever since.

CSB'd

• Members

My 70s SG1500 is my main guitar - love that thing. It's got any number of scars, and I don't think there's a single bit of original hardware remaining on it, and there are some weird electrical problems... Really a nice guitar despite all the abuse it's taken.

Super-heavy, probably the heaviest guitar I've ever played. No small feat considering some of the plywood abominations I've taken on.

• Members

First Act make a guitar that is remarkably similar - the DC Lola or DC6. It's rad. I do love an SG2000 though.

Here's some of them:

305265_174993202574997_1451083094_n.jpg

307860_174993089241675_1742977690_n.jpg

316585_174993122575005_1773127093_n.jpg

421462_262623067145343_822516109_n.jpg

154589_298163216924661_300032032_n.jpg

Brent Hinds' 12 string

384443_194481193959531_1329393452_n.jpg

Matt Pike's 9 string

298484_188595531214764_918238848_n.jpg

Baizley's double neck

296683_175005635907087_60452464_n.jpg