eq suggestions.

stjames

• Members

Conventional wisdom says EQ's goes early in the chain, together with your distortions etc. As for recommendations I'm a bit unsure. A parametric EQ is far more useful, but harder to get your head around compared to a graphic one.

• Members

yea, the dano fish and chips is a super cheap and safe bet

i had a mxr 10 band eq for a while, was super happy with it, ended up just not really needing it enough to warrant the space on my board. but no complaints, tons of things it can do from just all around clean boost to nice tone shaping

I agree that parametric eq's are not as useful in practice.

And make sure you get one that goes up to like 16KHz, to add presence.

:confused:

Parametrics are darned useful. So are graphic EQs. The main issue IMO with the majority of pedal parametric EQs is that the lack of physical space on the pedal itself precludes the inclusion of more than a single parametric EQ band. Unlike most rack and plugin parametrics, you can only "work on" one frequency band at a time.

Another common issue with "parametric" EQ pedals is that not all of them are "true" parametrics. A true parametric EQ really needs three controls - a bandwidth (Q) control, a frequency control and a boost / cut control. Many "parametric" EQ pedals leave off that first (bandwidth) control, and would therefore be more accurately described as semi-parametric EQ or sweepable filters. These are also very useful, but less powerful than a true parametric EQ because they don't allow you to adjust the bandwidth - how wide or narrow the affected frequency range of any boost or cut will be.

Go into a pro studio and record and chances are excellent that if they use EQ on your guitar tracks, it's going to be parametric. They might use some high and low pass filtering too to get rid of stuff above and below the audible range of the guitar (roughly 100Hz to 6kHz or so), but any tonal shaping is much more likely to be performed with a parametric than a graphic. Not that there's anything wrong with graphic EQ on guitar - it can be a very useful; I own / use one on my pedalboard myself... but they're both useful.

FWIW, I do own a Dano Fish & Chips. It's a great budget graphic EQ. I am also working on a review of the new Earthquaker Devices Tone Job, which is a fixed frequency three band EQ / boost pedal with a very cool sound to it. I'll post a link when it's finished. :wave:

• Members

I agree with Phil on the usefulness of parametric EQs.

I used to really want a graphic EQ. I ended up getting an RC Booster to use as a boost, but after getting it I noticed that the Treble and Bass controls are positioned in the EQ spectrum perfectly to my tastes to be an extremely effective (semi) parametric EQ. I leave it on all the time and the only adjustment I make to my rig when switching guitars is on the RC Booster. I really wish it was part of the amp. After leaving it on so long, I tried turning it off so I could use it as a boost, but I found the setup just sounded anemic without that pedal. One time, I was building a project pedal and considered removing the switch from the RC Boost to use on the project and just hardwiring the RC Boost to be always on. So yeah, I kind of rely on a semi-parametric EQ.

• Members
Oh, and no worries Benny, I took care of the double post. I just had that happen to me a few minutes ago too.
:(

I think the forum had a little hiccup - I tried to post something about the same time, it thought about it for a few minutes then came up with this gem;

"The forum requires that you wait 30 seconds between posts. Please wait for 134 seconds then try again."

Pretty insulting if you think about it. :lol:

• Members

Yeah, it really depends on why you want it.

For boosts? An always-on tone shaper? For a different kind of tone altogether?

I want to be able to use different guitars and shape the tone of my amp (AC 30) to suit each guitar without having to change all the amp settings. I think the fish and chips would handle this enough.

Archived