Ethics/Bad product question

bluehuricane

• Members

my roommate and friend built a longboard to a design i mentioned to him awhile ago. i had not commissioned him to build it, he just showed up with it one day after making it at his parents' house. i was ecstatic cause it was a really sweet board. 2 days after we set it up, the nose broke off while i was on it and he just asked me when i'm going to pay for it, which i had no intention of doing because it obviously was defective. i tried to do a simple nose manual on it when i broke it btw. i did mention that i wanted it but i would have to pay him in the future. what if anything am i obligated to pay him? as far as i was concerned it was still his and it broke during normal use, but i don't want to just shaft him either. i don't know why i come to you guys with these questions, probably cause you're the furthest removed group of 'friends' i have. anyways, tell me how not to be an asshole or a {censored}.

• Members

In the first line, you describe him as a friend. If a friend borrowed a pedal from you and returned it broken, how would you respond to that? It shouldn't be any different in this case - do what's needed to make it right. You mention you attempted a repair, but it sounds like a pro repair would be the bare minimum to make things cool between you guys. If it were me, I'd get it professionally repaired, pay for the board you broke, or replace the board entirely with one of equal value. Then again, I love my friends and intend to keep them. :idk:

• Members

In the first line, you describe him as a friend. If a friend borrowed a pedal from you and returned it broken, how would you respond to that? It shouldn't be any different in this case - do what's needed to make it right. You mention you attempted a repair, but it sounds like a pro repair would be the bare minimum to make things cool between you guys. If it were me, I'd get it professionally repaired, pay for the board you broke, or replace the board entirely with one of equal value. Then again, I love my friends and intend to keep them.
:idk:

he made it himself, you can't repair a longboard, and pedals are a little different. i'm not a heavy guy, longboards aren't supposed to break from that kind of use. and he was with me riding it that night, i was just on it when it broke. and to answer the question earlier, he built it without telling me, then we set it up with his trucks and wheels, and i mentioned that i loved the design and when my birthday rolled around i could free up some cash and buy it off of him. so yeah i intended on buying it.

• Members

if it was a structural weakness that was destined to fail though, should he have to pay for something that was going to break anyways? if you take a car for a test drive and the engine falls out, do you pay for it?

on the same point, if he bought it from his friend and then it broke, would he be due a refund? if he was seriously injured should he sue for poor workmanship leading to injury?

• Members

his side of the story's about the same. the fault definitely isn't mine, it was the workmanship of the board. any person would have broken it, and had i been going faster i could have seriously injured myself. it's not that much money, and i'm not going to become enemies with him over it so it's as much up to him as it is to me. the board had around an hour of riding on it. i dunno what to feel. if i pay him the full amount i feel like i'm saying "thanks for making me a {censored}ty longboard" if i don't pay him anything it's like i'm saying "{censored} you for trying."

also related, phil asked how experienced he is. he's built several boards and rides one that he built himself that is a very good board. but he told me after the fact that the last board he sold got his friend hurt and he didn't offer that guy anything in return. had i known that i probably would not have shown interest in the board at all.

• Members

What if there's a compromise, where he builds you a new board, (and hopefully better built) for an agreed upon price. I have no idea what they cost, or what's involved, but no way should you pay for something that breaks so quickly, especially when this is not the first time this has happened.

If I bought a new pedal from someone on this forum and it broke within an hour, I would ask for my $ back, or expect them to fix it, or build me a new one. Same applies here.

Archived