WOT: living with someone who receives food stamps

echodeluxe

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Whatever you do, please do not encourage or enable welfare/foodstamp fraud on her part. In any way, shape or form.

I am normally a very left-leaning person, but I come down hard on those who try to cheat the system.

My mother was an emergency-intake caseworker for one of the scarier counties in this state... the number of cheats was astounding. She kicked their collective asses on a regular basis. This is probably where I got my "those benefits are there for those who really need it" attitude. {censored} them, if they think they need it but do not qualify by the rules.If you do not like it, change the rules.

In my current locale, 'cheating the system' is almost a sport....the dirtbags share tips and "which caseworker will lie for you" at the local diner. This makes me sick. I've turned in a number of cheats (about 6 that I can think of) including a former employee who lied about being a single-mom with no other income paying the rent...her boyfriend/father of the kids was living with her, which counts in Oregon household income calculations... later found out she was stealing from my office, so it's good I laid her off when things got tight 4 years ago.

If you think this is harsh, plz understand that I am bound by state law to report any criminal act, especially where children are involved.

I will lose my license if I do not. And the state isn't playing games when it comes to that {censored}. At least not up here.

• Members

I'd see it as no big deal as long as she's willing to quit the program after she gets her head out of her ass.

It's the people that try and stay on it after they don't qualify for it that are hurting the system, so called "double-dipping".

You are no way legally responsible for her so it shouldn't matter what her income is but she still has to pay her fair share.

If she thinks she can just buy the groceries to cover that, I'd boot her.

How is that fair if you eat out more than cooking at home? You let her do this and you feel obligated to eat her food?

• Members

It's not easy to get food stamps, or any benefits, in California. Roommates are not considered part of a household unless they buy food together. You cannot get in trouble for her actions (even if she lies). If she lies, then yes, she is cheating the system. Overall, the system cheats all of us.

These things. Just don't sign {censored}, or help her out and you are in the clear.

The way it works in NC is that roommates are not a household, each individual is within the house. The complicated part is that she could lie about how much her expenses are, or not mention that she has roommates to potentially increase her benefit amount. Again, this wouldn't come back on you or the other roommate.

'The system' is a really interesting thing. The vast majority of my clients are on EBT (food stamps), disability, section 8, and/or other programs. Most of them need it, but there are always people out there looking to get something for nothing.

What really astounded me is that up until I was like 25 and got a real job after grad school, I would've qualified for food stamps and probably even section 8 based on my well below the poverty line income from my part time job. {censored}, even living with my girlfriend and counting her income, we probably still could qualify. It wasn't the easiest thing to do, but we were never hungry, our bills were paid, and I even managed to pick up a few pieces of gear along the way.

I'm really against your roommate doing this, simply because this seems like nothing more than a way for her to be lazy and jobless for a period of time.

Wow...I got kinda side tracked there. The point is that nothing she is doing should have any impact on you.

• Members

My girlfriend was on food stamps, for two years and we lived together, they didn't ever need to know my income, just hers. she, worked as well, it's all based on your income, it's fairly ready to get, just a lot of hoops you have to jump through weekly. My GF now makes double what I make, I call her miss money bags, and we don't have food stamps to deal with anymore :thu:

• Members

These things. Just don't sign {censored}, or help her out and you are in the clear.

The way it works in NC is that roommates are not a household, each individual is within the house. The complicated part is that she could lie about how much her expenses are, or not mention that she has roommates to potentially increase her benefit amount. Again, this wouldn't come back on you or the other roommate.

'The system' is a really interesting thing. The vast majority of my clients are on EBT (food stamps), disability, section 8, and/or other programs. Most of them need it, but there are always people out there looking to get something for nothing.

What really astounded me is that up until I was like 25 and got a real job after grad school, I would've qualified for food stamps and probably even section 8 based on my well below the poverty line income from my part time job. {censored}, even living with my girlfriend and counting her income, we probably still could qualify. It wasn't the easiest thing to do, but we were never hungry, our bills were paid, and I even managed to pick up a few pieces of gear along the way.

I'm really against your roommate doing this, simply because this seems like nothing more than a way for her to be lazy and jobless for a period of time.

Wow...I got kinda side tracked there. The point is that nothing she is doing should have any impact on you.

This.

• Members

we're being sarcastic man. To be fair he expanded SNAP as part of the stimulus (as did Bush since there's studies from his administration even that suggest gov. spending on SNAP benefits the economy), but I have to hear so many people complain like he personally signs off on each and every person in the US that gets EBT with a note that says "only buy Oreos, Doritos and diet Pepsi with these".

• Members

ok, this is a little weird so bear with me...

ive been living in this place for two months, and my roomies are great. i have two. since weve moved in, though, one roommate (i'll call her Donald Trump) has been light on cash.

now, Donald has been working at a crappy job but making money nonetheless. however, she has been {censored}ty about showing up to work and has since been laid off.

now, shes been "looking for a job" for a couple of weeks but to no avail. i even talked to a few places recently and got her some leads on places hiring (peet's coffee, a couple restaurants, a bar down the street) and so far, nothing.

so, shes not handicapped, a single mother, or otherwise differently abled, shes just lazy. should she be able to benefit from a food stamp program?

furthermore, the combined income of my roommate and i (well, just mine alone actually) is above the threshold for the maximum household income allowed for the program but she told me she was just gonna lie on her application.

so, basically, is she cheating the system? are there negative ramifications from living in household where someone accepts food stamps? can i get in trouble for her lying about my income? does she suck as much as i have a feeling she does?

and ye, ive googled this {censored}. not much to look through...

thanks

If there is any paper work for you to confirm the total amount made and you continue the lie, yes there will be ramifications. I think the biggest issue for you isn't food stamps but this is a warning sign that she could potentially {censored} you and your other room mate over on rent and utilities.

• Members

You need to call a local lawyer.

No, you {censored}ing don't. Household income doesn't apply to roommates, just like LSD said. This situation has absolutely no legal ramifications on anyone but, potentially, the recipient. Period.

• Members

I'm not familiar with your benefits system, but I can't imagine 'household income' refers to how much cash in total is earned by a group of housemates. Surely 'household income' is only applicable to couples who pool their funds? If you guys are purely housemates, I can't imagine what relevance your income has.

yes, im not certain but i believe this is correct. your incomes are not shared, your roof is. this way of thinking is probably what made her so lazy about getting another job.

Archived