Lets talk about EQ pedals

Naterel

• Members

I use the Source Audio and find it to be very handy and user friendly. You can even set it to make a semi-tremolo sound. The presets are laid out pretty straight forwrd and it takes up a small amount of real estate. I have not found for it to sound fake, but it wouldn't be the first time my ears were wrong.

I would check out the WMD Utility Parametric EQ Equalizer as well.

Empress ParaEQ is real nice. If you want something relatively cheap, a used Boss EQ20 is also really handy, although it takes up some room.

• Members

I use the Source Audio and find it to be very handy and user friendly. You can even set it to make a semi-tremolo sound. The presets are laid out pretty straight forwrd and it takes up a small amount of real estate. I have not found for it to sound fake, but it wouldn't be the first time my ears were wrong.

Empress ParaEQ is real nice. If you want something relatively cheap, a used Boss EQ20 is also really handy, although it takes up some room.

I missed this. Have you tried it in an effects loop? This has been on my list of wanna try pedals for the longest time.

• Members

I missed this. Have you tried it in an effects loop? This has been on my list of wanna try pedals for the longest time.

• Members

Where do you use it, at the beginning of your pedalboard or at the end or in the fx loop?

EQ-20 is too big, my friend has one and its looks awesome

• Members

Interesting, Im not out to boost my mids

I just wanna mess around with my over all tone

The RC isn't really a mid-booster. The adjustments it makes are a bit more subtle than what an EQ pedal is capable of. I use it to make minor adjustments to the tone that I can't make with the amp alone. The RC can make an amp sound like it is being pushed harder than it is (which is great when you are trying to control stage volume). It is also the only thing in my setup I need to adjust when I switch from single-coils to humbuckers, rather than fiddling with the amp. After having bought the pedal, I really would hate to have to play without it.

• Members

Interesting, Im not out to boost my mids

I just wanna mess around with my over all tone

The RC isn't really a mid-booster. The adjustments it makes are a bit more subtle than what an EQ pedal is capable of. I use it to make minor adjustments to the tone that I can't make with the amp alone. The RC can make an amp sound like it is being pushed harder than it is (which is great when you are trying to control stage volume). It is also the only thing in my setup I need to adjust when I switch from single-coils to humbuckers, rather than fiddling with the amp. After having bought the pedal, I really would hate to have to play without it.

• Members

my main amp has a footswitchable EQ section built in (post preamp). I use it as the perfect lead boost.

markIIb.jpg

Everytime you post a pic of that Boogie, I get a funny feeling in my naughty parts. Don't you have a JCM800 combo too? Do you ever run them together at the same time?

• Members

I use an Antelope Morning Dew EQ/Buffer - it's super simple 3-band that I use for a variety of things; bumping up the mids when I can't crank up my amps to get it naturally, scooping the mids on my Mosrite to turn it into a Jazzmaster, etc. Since I run single tone control amps exclusively it's been in constant use since I got it back in '05.

If I didn't already have the MDEQ, I'd have the Fromel Shape EQ on my board.

Really useful tool.

Archived