I think I'm gonna do a Warmoth build.

Loobs

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It's lotsa work, there's a couple of things you can {censored} up, it costs considerably more than a similar factory build guitar, the resale value is ridiculous, etc...

But when the f*ck did being reasonable and smart ended you up with an awesome one of a kind custom guitar, build to yer personal dream specs?:lol:

Do it.

• Members

as long as your dream guitar is a partscaster

I think it's more about the point of getting exactly what you want in a guitar ex. finish, pickups, body wood, etc.

For example where can you get a blueburst rosewood thinline telecaster with p90 in the neck and a tele pickup in the bridge

• Members

I realize this but it allows you to customize it to your own specs. My #1 Strat has a Warmoth Boatneck with SS frets and a compound radius. I am pretty sure that (without maybe going Custom Shop) Fender does not make a neck to those specs. I have never tried to sell one of my partscasters I just play 'em. I have flipped a couple of "off the shelf" (for lack of a better word) guitars since I built my #1 though.

good points.

I'm so lucky I'm not particular about guitars and basses, off the shelf is fine by me.

• Members

And that Ballou offset isn't hideous? That dude might have some of the ugliest guitars ever made. Even his EGCs are fugly.

I like it. Not keen on all his guitars though. I hate Rickenbackers and Mustangs. His First Acts are pretty sweet though. My friend bought an EGC off him (a purple sparkle Jazzy shape) which looks super nice, but I haven't had chance to play it since he moved to Belgium. I can't say I like his choice in pickups though... who the {censored} wants white EMGs in anything?

• Members
good points.

I'm so lucky I'm not particular about guitars and basses, off the shelf is fine by me.

It kind of happened by accident. I had no frets left on my 79 Strat and the guy who refretted it totally botched the job so I went seeking another neck. I decided on the Warmoth Boatneck and finished it in Nitro. I renovated the electronics as well w/ a Dimarzio Super D and Area 61's as well as all new pots and switch. It turned out KILLER.

I then got the bug and did a USACG Tele w/ a fatter neck. All in it came to about $500 and it is a much better guitar than my MIM tele which is comparible in price (after mods).

P1010141.JPG

• Members

I wanted to make a rosewood Telemaster, but they said it would be $1000 for the body, and I wouldn't be able to see a picture of the wood before they made it, so I decided to pass. Rosewood Telemaster is still my dream, but I couldn't justify risking $1000 when I may end up hating the body. Oh well, I still would love to do another build there. Tele Custom or a different Telemaster, perhaps? Let us know what you go with if you go through with this, Loobs.

• Members

I wanted to make a rosewood Telemaster, but they said it would be $1000 for the body, and I wouldn't be able to see a picture of the wood before they made it, so I decided to pass. Rosewood Telemaster is still my dream, but I couldn't justify risking $1000 when I may end up hating the body. Oh well, I still would love to do another build there. Tele Custom or a different Telemaster, perhaps? Let us know what you go with if you go through with this, Loobs.

Why don't you get Warmoth to make you a Telemaster body with a rosewood cap? That would cost $250ish. An all rosewood Jazzmaster shaped body would weigh a ton.

Archived