HCFX BOTB 2012 - Official Rules List and Guidelines

Aristotle

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

What about the people who use noise, blues and heavy metal pedals all on the one board?

Choose whatever category you think your board would be judged best under. Personally, I play punky noise rock & I judge everyone's boards by that. With genre based categories I'd be able to judge them better by what they're roughly made for. It's not about nailing everyone's genre down to a tee. If you play a little bit of everything then maybe a "swiss army knife" category would be useful.

• Members

Choosing the best board for a genre is just as arbitrary and difficult as choosing the best board within a number constraint. On the upside, numbers are easily defined and easy to understand, but still there are questions about the rules. And you think genres would be easier? No thanks.

• Members
And you think genres would be easier? No thanks.

Got to agree, that's waaaaay to complicated. And where do you draw the line on what pedal is allowed for what genre? Maybe I use a POG for my alt-reggae?

I think everything is fine as it is. Though maybe have small board mean actually small... Not just saying because I'm mad jelly of a certain top tier dohp high rollah. :lol:

• Members

Choosing the best board for a genre is just as arbitrary and difficult as choosing the best board within a number constraint. On the upside, numbers are easily defined and easy to understand, but
still
there are questions about the rules. And you think genres would be easier? No thanks.

Well it's not a perfect system, but I think it'd just be far more interesting looking at boards that are made for playing similar kinds of music & ranking them against each other rather than looking comparing a bunch of completely different boards.

I think it'd be more entertaining that way.

• Members

I just realized there will need to be additional rounds for the sm-med-large categories. What I'm going to do is push back the raffle 2 days. The voting going on now will end as it should and then I'll give 2 days for voting in the Final round.

Sound good to everyone?

RAFFLE ON DECEMBER 21, 2012

Then the cycle begins anew, until it repeats again next year. JUST LIKE THE MAYAN PREDICTED.

• Members

Suggestion for next year: either ditch board size categories, or rework them to be based on dimensions. Too many medium small boards and large medium boards.

I think it'd be nicer for voting to base things on genre.

What you could do is have the following categories:

Rock 'N Roll (Blues, Rock 'N Roll, Rockabilly, Surf, Garage, Classic Rock, Proto-Punk, Punk)

Heavy Metal (Metal, Hardcore Punk, Post-Hardcore, Sludge, Math Rock)

Pop (indie, new-wave, surf pop, dream pop)

Art (Psychedelic, Prog, Post-Punk, Post-rock, Noise Rock, Space Rock, Shoegaze)

World (Ska, Reggae, Eastern)

Experimental (Industrial, Noise, Experimental)

And people could enter into one & list their sub-genre. So then if need be it can be split up. I think it would be more entertaining to see boards grouped that way, & would make voting easier.

Maybe you should try holding a different Battle of the Boards competition in the spring. Pick a genre or two, require a sound clip that used the board and have people vote. The folks here love that sort of fun.

• Members

I just realized there will need to be additional rounds for the sm-med-large categories. What I'm going to do is push back the raffle 2 days. The voting going on now will end as it should and then I'll give 2 days for voting in the Final round.

Sound good to everyone?

RAFFLE ON DECEMBER 21, 2012

Then the cycle begins anew, until it repeats again next year. JUST LIKE THE MAYAN PREDICTED.

Sounds good to me, I was wondering if there was a "final playoff" to this or not.

Archived