BG76

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by Zappa74

View Post

There's a reason Fender did this.

It's because nobody outside of Cheap Trick gives a flying {censored} about Hamer guitars.

Hamer has made some of the greatest electric guitars ever built.

They were a real game changer in their time.

People who are knowledgeable about guitars know this fact.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Zappa74

View Post

There's a reason Fender did this.

It's because nobody outside of Cheap Trick gives a flying {censored} about Hamer guitars.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Phil O'Keefe

View Post

Rose colored glasses my friend. smile.gif The Baldwin era Gretsch stuff was worse IMO than the Norlin era and CBS era Gibsons and Fenders. I'd much rather have a MIJ Gretsch from today. As far as the ultra-high end USA stuff, it's probably THE best stuff Gretsch has ever made - or right there with it insofar as build and materials quality.

This. While some of the 50's Gretsches were unbelievable, many of them were not quite. The level of inconsistency of Gretsch in the glory years far surpassed their contemporaries. New MIJ Gretsches are about on par with the best of the 50's (minus pickups). I've owned old Gretsches and new Gretsches. I play new Gretsches (with TV Classics orT-Armonds installed).

Every USA Hamer I've played, while very nicely made, failed to grab me and say "take me home." And I think that, more than anything killed them off.

• Members

View Post

Rose colored glasses my friend. smile.gif The Baldwin era Gretsch stuff was worse IMO than the Norlin era and CBS era Gibsons and Fenders. I'd much rather have a MIJ Gretsch from today. As far as the ultra-high end USA stuff, it's probably THE best stuff Gretsch has ever made - or right there with it insofar as build and materials quality.

This. While some of the 50's Gretsches were unbelievable, many of them were not quite. The level of inconsistency of Gretsch in the glory years far surpassed their contemporaries. New MIJ Gretsches are about on par with the best of the 50's (minus pickups). I've owned old Gretsches and new Gretsches. I play new Gretsches (with TV Classics orT-Armonds installed).

Every USA Hamer I've played, while very nicely made, failed to grab me and say "take me home." And I think that, more than anything killed them off.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by dparr

View Post

What 'game' did they change? Making Gibsons better than Gibson did at the time? I don't get it...

• Members

View Post

What 'game' did they change? Making Gibsons better than Gibson did at the time? I don't get it...

• Members

View Post

I have to disagree with you. I'll take my 1957 6120 with the Brazilian rosewood board and those great old Dynasonics and all the American made hardware, high grade wood and craftsmanship. The Baldwin stuff was bad, I agree with you there but owning/having owned a lot of the reissue stuff (Tenn Rose, Country Gent, Elliot Easton, Falcon, Sparkle & Pearl Jet) to say that it's anywhere close to what they were doing in the mid-50s is insanity.

• Members

View Post

I have to disagree with you. I'll take my 1957 6120 with the Brazilian rosewood board and those great old Dynasonics and all the American made hardware, high grade wood and craftsmanship. The Baldwin stuff was bad, I agree with you there but owning/having owned a lot of the reissue stuff (Tenn Rose, Country Gent, Elliot Easton, Falcon, Sparkle & Pearl Jet) to say that it's anywhere close to what they were doing in the mid-50s is insanity.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by erksin

View Post

Making a guitar much better than Gibson for much less money.

I have a Hamer Sunburst #007. Out of my eight guitars it is by far the best one.

• Members

View Post

Making a guitar much better than Gibson for much less money.

I have a Hamer Sunburst #007. Out of my eight guitars it is by far the best one.

• Members

View Post

Making a guitar much better than Gibson for much less money. No one else was doing it at that time.

• Members

View Post

Making a guitar much better than Gibson for much less money. No one else was doing it at that time.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by BG76

View Post

This is a joke, right? Gretsch guitars are nothing like what they were in the mid-late 50s. Sure, Baldwin made some crap but FMIC has hit an all time low.

I thought it funny the author of the article didn't mention Cheap Trick with Hamer but if anyone has ever played a REAL Hamer (Danzig years) they're killer - much like a real Gretsch, BC Rich or Jackson.

Dude, I've played some of the top of the line most expensive Gretsch guitars out there AND vintage ones and I think the new ones hold there own as much if not moreso. My band at one point when we were doing our thing was talking to Fender/Gretsch about endorsement stuff. I'll always defend their honor.

View Post

I would rather there was no new Gretsch, Hamer, Fender, etc... even if I couldn't afford the old ones at least the brands would still mean something. I'm not a hipster or a lawyer but I have a lot of old Gibson/Fender/Gretsch, etc.... What do hipsters do that make them so much money?

They increase the demand and therefore the cost.

View Post

This.

• Members

View Post

This is a joke, right? Gretsch guitars are nothing like what they were in the mid-late 50s. Sure, Baldwin made some crap but FMIC has hit an all time low.

I thought it funny the author of the article didn't mention Cheap Trick with Hamer but if anyone has ever played a REAL Hamer (Danzig years) they're killer - much like a real Gretsch, BC Rich or Jackson.

Dude, I've played some of the top of the line most expensive Gretsch guitars out there AND vintage ones and I think the new ones hold there own as much if not moreso. My band at one point when we were doing our thing was talking to Fender/Gretsch about endorsement stuff. I'll always defend their honor.

View Post

I would rather there was no new Gretsch, Hamer, Fender, etc... even if I couldn't afford the old ones at least the brands would still mean something. I'm not a hipster or a lawyer but I have a lot of old Gibson/Fender/Gretsch, etc.... What do hipsters do that make them so much money?

They increase the demand and therefore the cost.

View Post

This.

• Members

View Post

That's not changing the game. That's playing the same game with somebody else's ball.

And that goes to the whole point of how Hamer was never able to step outside of Gibson's shadow and why they cease to exist as a company today.

• Members

View Post

That's not changing the game. That's playing the same game with somebody else's ball.

And that goes to the whole point of how Hamer was never able to step outside of Gibson's shadow and why they cease to exist as a company today.

• Members

View Post

They were not Gibsons in any way. Much better. Yep, they were game changers.

How many 70' Hamers have you played?

Archived