FMIC destroys another classic brand - no more Hamer

BG76

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Hamer had the same problem that Heritage has - when you base your whole concept by copying or trying to capitalize on the traditions and designs of a larger, more well-known and established competitor you will always be in the position of having to retell the story of why you are better. In doing so, you are constantly in the position of defending yourself and playing catch up.

Look at what PRS did - they started out basically making Hamer copies. As soon as they changed the shape of their bodies to something more uniquely PRS they took off. And yes I know they make a McCarty model...

• Members

Hamer had the same problem that Heritage has - when you base your whole concept by copying or trying to capitalize on the traditions and designs of a larger, more well-known and established competitor you will always be in the position of having to retell the story of why you are better. In doing so, you are constantly in the position of defending yourself and playing catch up.

Look at what PRS did - they started out basically making Hamer copies. As soon as they changed the shape of their bodies to something more uniquely PRS they took off. And yes I know they make a McCarty model...

• Members

Well I wouldn't blame FMIC for this one. They only bought Hamer in 2007, it was well {censored}ed by then. Their custom shop instruments were very expensive, and their import line couldn't hold a candle to the strength of Epiphone. The cheaper a pricepoint goes the brand tends to become far more important for the uninformed consumer and Hamer, much like Charvel doesn't have the name it used to have.

One of Hamer's sales reps was trying to sell me one of those custom shop Explorer ones with the flame top. it was {censored}ing beautiful and played insane, but even at heavily discounted dealer cost, it was FAR too expensive.

BG76 do you have any hamers?

• Members

Well I wouldn't blame FMIC for this one. They only bought Hamer in 2007, it was well {censored}ed by then. Their custom shop instruments were very expensive, and their import line couldn't hold a candle to the strength of Epiphone. The cheaper a pricepoint goes the brand tends to become far more important for the uninformed consumer and Hamer, much like Charvel doesn't have the name it used to have.

One of Hamer's sales reps was trying to sell me one of those custom shop Explorer ones with the flame top. it was {censored}ing beautiful and played insane, but even at heavily discounted dealer cost, it was FAR too expensive.

BG76 do you have any hamers?

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by fractal View Post
Have you ever played one? They're a LOT nicer than most production guitars, as a generalization.
I've only ever heard good things about them.

But what I said is still true... In the big picture, nobody really gives a shit about the brand, hence Fender 'destroying' it.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by fractal View Post
Have you ever played one? They're a LOT nicer than most production guitars, as a generalization.
I've only ever heard good things about them.

But what I said is still true... In the big picture, nobody really gives a shit about the brand, hence Fender 'destroying' it.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Pewtershmit

View Post

Well I wouldn't blame FMIC for this one. They only bought Hamer in 2007, it was well fucked by then. Their custom shop instruments were very expensive, and their import line couldn't hold a candle to the strength of Epiphone. The cheaper a pricepoint goes the brand tends to become far more important for the uninformed consumer and Hamer, much like Charvel doesn't have the name it used to have.

Yeah, it was Kaman that put the strategy Hamer had been using in place, not Fender. You can debate whether Fender should have changed that strategy, but it wasn't their idea. Not to mention that they didn't specifically buy Hamer, they bought Kaman's music division, which just happened to include Hamer. An obvious question is why they didn't kill Hamer when they bought Kaman. Instead they gave it five years of additional life, and reportedly the workers will produce instruments for other Fender owned brands.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Pewtershmit

View Post

Well I wouldn't blame FMIC for this one. They only bought Hamer in 2007, it was well fucked by then. Their custom shop instruments were very expensive, and their import line couldn't hold a candle to the strength of Epiphone. The cheaper a pricepoint goes the brand tends to become far more important for the uninformed consumer and Hamer, much like Charvel doesn't have the name it used to have.

Yeah, it was Kaman that put the strategy Hamer had been using in place, not Fender. You can debate whether Fender should have changed that strategy, but it wasn't their idea. Not to mention that they didn't specifically buy Hamer, they bought Kaman's music division, which just happened to include Hamer. An obvious question is why they didn't kill Hamer when they bought Kaman. Instead they gave it five years of additional life, and reportedly the workers will produce instruments for other Fender owned brands.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Van_Muddlestein View Post
FMIC isn't all bad. Gretsch is still kicking whole tons of ass. I could give a shit about any of the other companies but that one is very much the truth.
This is a joke, right? Gretsch guitars are nothing like what they were in the mid-late 50s. Sure, Baldwin made some crap but FMIC has hit an all time low.

I thought it funny the author of the article didn't mention Cheap Trick with Hamer but if anyone has ever played a REAL Hamer (Danzig years) they're killer - much like a real Gretsch, BC Rich or Jackson.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Van_Muddlestein View Post
FMIC isn't all bad. Gretsch is still kicking whole tons of ass. I could give a shit about any of the other companies but that one is very much the truth.
This is a joke, right? Gretsch guitars are nothing like what they were in the mid-late 50s. Sure, Baldwin made some crap but FMIC has hit an all time low.

I thought it funny the author of the article didn't mention Cheap Trick with Hamer but if anyone has ever played a REAL Hamer (Danzig years) they're killer - much like a real Gretsch, BC Rich or Jackson.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by caeman

View Post

If it weren't for FMIC buying those brands, they would have each disappeared into history, never more producing instruments, and only hipsters and lawyers would be able to buy them.

I would rather there was no new Gretsch, Hamer, Fender, etc... even if I couldn't afford the old ones at least the brands would still mean something. I'm not a hipster or a lawyer but I have a lot of old Gibson/Fender/Gretsch, etc.... What do hipsters do that make them so much money?

Archived