OT: So, my wife and I are going busking tomorrow... Advice?

AidyCM

• Members

A few weeks in, things are getting good. We're at a point where it's paying for ALL of our food and we've been making funny signs, which have resulted in people taking photos and giving huge tips. Surprisingly, out of everything we play, MUSE is the moneymaker - their fans are crazy.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by AidyCM

View Post

A few weeks in, things are getting good. We're at a point where it's paying for ALL of our food and we've been making funny signs, which have resulted in people taking photos and giving huge tips. Surprisingly, out of everything we play, MUSE is the moneymaker - their fans are crazy.

That is awesome, congrats!

• Members

Glad it's going well man thumb.gif

I read an interview with a blind guy who whistles songs on the tube. He commutes in on the train from Northampton and employs an assistant who helps him get there, bring him his lunch and to count the money at the end of the day, so there's money in it if you're good (of if you have the sympathy angle smile.gif)

He says he gauges how much people are stealing from him by seeing how much below the average number of

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Loobs

View Post

Where do you busk?

Camden don't require you to jump through hoops to get a license, you can just rock up and do your thang. Mostly Camden and Hampstead, as I can get to both within a 5 minute walk or bus ride. Hampstead people are super receptive - a great audience. Next to Hampstead Heath overground is a great pitch. When I'm visiting friends and family in Cambridge, I busk there, too - it's a great place to be a street performer and the rules are mostly in favour of the buskers and they mostly dictate inter-performer relations, like only occupying a pitch for only an hour at a time so everyone gets a chance to perform in the most profitable places. I wish London would follow suit. Cambridge are a GREAT crowd, too. One of my biggest moneymakers is a cover of Muse's Uprising. A family tipped me for every Muse request I did and I got a good few quid for pulling off the falsetto in Supermassive Black Hole.

RadioSilence, I don't want to believe that some people would do that, but I can imagine that it does. It's a sad, sad world.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I wanted to reply to your OP but was banned.  I'm glad to see you are doing well with the busking.  IBS is no joke and can have a major detrimental effect to peoples life.  Perhaps it's kharma that HMV is going down the pan.

Good luck to you and your wife.  Rock on!

Archived