Shoe Pedals Tourbox

V

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by V

View Post

Yep. If you sent me an email you should be on the list. The first visit is local so I'm going to send it out to the next person (probably up to MA first and then move south/west in the shortest distances possible).

Sweet! Since im in Idaho it'll be awhile to get to me but still cant wait.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by V

View Post

So I have been playing with the Pixelfix circuit before building one for the road. I think I've managed to give the user a little more control over the texture/gating. You can get some really heavy distortion sounds out of it now as well as the synthy stuff. I mean, you could do that before to an extent but this is a little more extreme.

Can you elaborate plz smile.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by BrentMpls

View Post

Can you elaborate plz smile.gif

Sure. Ok, so in the past the sustain control controlled the incoming gain to bump up weak signals. Now it changes the sensitivity of the circuit more or less so it controls the gatedness of the effect. It ends up being less touchy than before and has a second bias control that gives very synthy sounds at minimum but some more distortion-esque kinds of sounds at higher knob settings. The other controls are pretty similar and the circuit is the same as before if you have bias all the way down and gate around noonish.

• Members

Oh anyway, I have the box once again. I brought it over to have my friend and his band (Floating Lanterns) check the stuff out and we had a fun little pedal party. I've been working full time lately and the post office is always closed when I get out, so I'm probably going to have to just wait till saturday to get it to MA as i think all the CT people hve been hit by now.

• Members

The dunce's review

So, firstly I did not get to spend as much valuable time with these as I would have liked to. Six pedals, with lots of switches and knobs, lots of sounds I probably didn't cover. Overall, I'm impressed with Shoe pedals. I played them through my little practice S.S. Marshall and my big old Fender Concert. I've been on a hummbucker kick the last two weeks, so no strat, just my L.P. special stock pick ups. I ran through the lot of them several times to see which I should focus on, the winners: The Silver Apple, Kung Fuzz, & Pixelfix.

I didn't really play with the Evil Rainbow and Ancient Astronaut. Basically the sound of the Ancient Astronaut wasn't for me, don't like that sound so, I can't judge it much. Evil Rainbow had some nice sounds, but I didn't pick up the knack of adjusting the four switches and four knobs. I got a few great overdrive/fuzz tones, then some less than great ones. I didn't monkey around with it too much, in order to spend a bit more time with the others.

The Frog, was interesting, normally I don't like that type of fuzz. Not my thing, but I started to find some appeal here. I found the Frog pretty responsive to dynamics. I really started to enjoy very lightly strumming the lower three strings (tuned: CACFAD), and attacking hard higher strings (some random melody). I actually enjoyed this a great deal, a very soft touch on some low tuned strings, adds a nice ambience. Surprised I played the frog as much as I did.

The Kung Fu(zz) was really a nice toy. It has some great balls, thick and meaty. The "Jim Kelly" footswitch added a je ne sais quoi, but I do know I liked it. This guy is also a nice responsive fuzz with dynamics and guitar volume knob. One thing I did notice about this fuzz and the Silver Apple, was they both enjoy my Marshall & the lead channel of the Fender Concert. The Concert's channel 2 has mid control & mid boost. Through the first channel, which is that lovely Fender clean sound, the Fuzz sounded too treblely. Harsh, in a unpleasing way. Switch some mids in there, I was really digging. This is one of those pedals, that seems picky about amps.

The Pixelfix on the other hand was not picky. It sounded good through the S.S., & the tubes (channel 1&2). This is a great low-fi, 8 bit, faux synth pedal. Really I wish I knew how to play more theme songs from arcade games. This is my first time with this type of effect. Really loved it. The bass was nice and thick, completely 8 bit. I recently received a Stylophone, and the pixelfix basically turned my guitar into a stylophone. That glitchy sputter when the pen is caught between two notes, is 80% of the stylophone's charm. Luckily the Pixelfix, did not disappoint in the weird glitch, dying electronic sound department. It had a longer than expected sustain, before a sudden and short fizz out. I could see the Pixelfix being used not only for guitar, but vocals, bass, keyboards, and whatever else needs the 8 bit treatment. I would have liked to have tried this guy with more instruments, but I'm out of time. This pedal, has definitely taken a spot on my "will purchase when I have funds" list.

The Silver Apple Fuzz was the one pedal in this tour box I had been waiting for. Naturally I spent some time with this guy. I've always been fond of these less than tame fuzzes. One issue I've had is getting the same sound twice. This seems to be the crux of why these types of wild oscillating fuzzes ultimately do not work for me. So, night one I find four really great sounds with this pedal. One of which has this light oscillating hiss, when combined with heavy globs of reverb added are dark creepy feeling. Boy, I liked jamming around on that sound. I wrote these settings down, came back to them night after night, and it sounded the same! Which is pretty exciting for me, usually once I get that low hiss exactly where I want it, I can not get it where I want it ever again. This is a major selling point, wild oscillation with stability, nice. I didn't really find the "?" momentary foot switch useful to anything I play. Not to worry though, this fuzz had a lot of sounds on tap. From that broken speaker sputter, to a nasty nasally oscillation, to a thick juicy "typical" fuzz tone, the Silver Apple had it. I found it really versatile in styles and sounds. I played this one the most, and this one is also on the must purchase list. Again, this guy seemed to enjoy boosted mid range, rather then the classic clean fender. My preference of course (that should go with out saying, to anything anyone posts, however), but the Silver Apple didn't play as nice with the clean channel as my Demo Tape Fuzz or Dues Ex Machina. I should have tried it with my strat, but then again, I'm already sold. The Silver Apple kicks some ass, and should be a go to pedal for those oscillating tones.

TL;DR: Buy a silver apple, kick ass versatile fuzz. Buy a pixelfix make your cock 8 bit and {censored} princess peach. Shoe Pedals are good.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by spoonie g

View Post

how does one get in on this?

Just shoot me an email at shoepedals@gmail.com with username and shipping address and I can add you to the list.

Anyway, sweeet demos man. I just got back from a concert not long ago (live debut of the Sunset Fuzz with a jazz group consisting of guitar, bass, trumpet, sax, and drums). Unfortunately there isn't one of those in the tourbox because I didn't have the right enclosures to make more than the first one for my friend for tourbox purposes. However, I might see if I can sneak one into the box at some point. Simple 2-knob silicon pseudo-fuzzrite-based fuzz that sounds awesome and kind of spaghetti western and horn-like.

Continuing to listen to demos.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by 9520575

View Post

LOLQUE next. to be shipped MONDAY! you should receive it tuesday or wednesday.

(its way too hot to put chocolates in here, sorry)

Haha, no worries on the chocolates. Got the box today, fooled around with them for a few minutes.

I really want to figure out the silver apple, but I just can't for the life of me. Really like the kung fuzz and evil rainbow though.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by lolque?

View Post

I really want to figure out the silver apple, but I just can't for the life of me.

Turn the fuzz, gain and gate fully counter-clockwise. turn the Glitch fully clock wise. switch all the way down. now you can run through the gain and fuzz range. the more you turn the glitch counter clockwise the more you need to turn the gate clockwise. This gets rid of the self oscillation.

Archived