Shoe Pedals Tourbox

V

• Members

Also, it's sort of funny how Crxsh zeroed in on the sort of main production pedals.

The Silver Apple, Pixelfix, Kung Fuzz, and Frog are all currently made often. The Ancient Astronaut and Evil Rainbow are both sort of the first of their kind (the Ancient Astronaut especially being a complete experiment). Out of curiosity, so I know for the future, what didn't you like about that one?

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by V

View Post

Interesting you say the Pixelfix reminds you of a zvex pedal cause it's not similar to any one I'm aware of in design anyway. Maybe not the same at all (and more likely just on account of the 'Pinch' control), but it reminds me a bit of the Mammoth. The Silver Apple, yes, does have some things in common the the fuzz factory but is implemented rather differently. Originally it was more like a wolf computer (similar concept to a fuzz factory) but it's diverged from that quite a bit as well. It's certainly different in execution... just somewhat similar, I think.

Anyway, a lot of people seem pretty confused by the Evil Rainbow. Not sure if I'll release that one exactly as it is entirely, but basically it's sort of a mixture of a marshall-esque distortion with more muff-like controls. You can also bypass almost all of the controls on that one leaving you with pretty much a straight signal path to the volume knob with no filtering.

But anyway, the controls are like this:

Tone Knob: Similar to a Muff Style tone stack. You cut treble to the left and cut bass to the right.

Spec.: Modifies the range/intensity of the tone knob/affects mids. Basically the farther to the right you turn it, the more muff-like the tone knob will act with more mid scoop and the farther to the kleft it is, the milder the tone knob's effect will be.

There's of course, a bypass for both of those. You also have a toggle switch (called Color, I think...I haven't looked at that one in a while and it's the only one quite like that) is an input tone control. One position effectively cuts highs a bit and boosts mids, one is straight through bypasssed, one position is more of a bass cut/treble boost.

There's also a toggle switch that changes what the final remaining knob does. In the middle this bypasses that knob and you get full gain. In the other two positions it acts as a gain knob but one position is voiced a bit darker than the other.

That's pretty much the gist of that one. Lots of different tone controls if you want or more or less no controls at all. Interesting concept. Spent some more time with it today and was able to coax some good tones out of it. Still seems overcomplicated though.

The PF does have a pretty severe volume difference with the filter on and off. Sort of the nature of that beast as it's a passive filter (kind of like bypassing a tone knob on a big muff). Fortunately it's ridiculously loud so you can readjust to well above unity. I would try using that one for leads and on bass and synth as well if you have those available to you. It's fun to use as a way of making a crappy keyboard sound like an analog monosynth if you set it right/play appropriately. More or less it's intended as a bass fuzz and a synth/chiptune fuzz. Spent a good while with this one again today. So many fun sounds packed in there. Nice going.

Quote Originally Posted by V

View Post

Also, it's sort of funny how Crxsh zeroed in on the sort of main production pedals.

The Silver Apple, Pixelfix, Kung Fuzz, and Frog are all currently made often. The Ancient Astronaut and Evil Rainbow are both sort of the first of their kind (the Ancient Astronaut especially being a complete experiment). Out of curiosity, so I know for the future, what didn't you like about that one?

It's just not a sound I really care for and/or could ever see myself using. Sorta has a ringmod-ish-ness to it and while it might be just the right thing for somebody else

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Crxsh

View Post

It's just not a sound I really care for and/or could ever see myself using. Sorta has a ringmod-ish-ness to it and while it might be just the right thing for somebody else

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Recorded this track today >>> https://soundcloud.com/crxshdxmmy/shoe

Pedals in the order that you hear them:

• Pixel Fix (Base track)

Frog (Creepy lead)

Ancient Astronaut (Ditty lead and a couple chords)

Kung Fuzz (Lead)

Silver Apple (Oscillation)

Gonna sync w/ some pics and video and upload to YouTube, but I figured I'd share here first.

Disclaimer: Mixed on earbuds... so hopefully it's not too terrible.

• 1 month later...

Archived