My Do-It-Yourself IKEA Pedalboard Build Thread

• Members

Epic Thread, thanks a lot! I pass an Ikea every time we visit my Girlfriend's father in Canada, and have been planning on stopping, and buying one of each shelf ( at the price, figure I can make a couple or figure which one I need), and making a board for our shared rig. Much like yours, I am painting mine a deep ox blood to match the cover on our Epiphone Valve Jr.

Congrats, it looks awesome!

Cool! Be sure to tell 'em "Armchair Bronco" sent ya'!

Also, take your time when choose your shelves and extenders. The Gorm shelves are made from pine, and some of the shelves I looked at had some pretty severe warps and twists to 'em. Also pick out extenders that don't have knots in the heart of the board if you're planning to make a frontspiece like I did. I spent at least 5 minutes looking through a stack of wood before I found "my" pieces.

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Very nice build. I appreciated the soldering video as well. I have a pretty cool board I made myself but it's pretty darn heavy and I have been thinking of making a second board. The big one stays at home with all the funky pedals and the second smaller board will be my gig board. Your ideas support my theory, thanks:thu:

• Members

N00b question here, but how do I take off the rubber feet/lining off from the bottom of the pedals? Or do I just stick velcro on them?

In general, you'll want to take the feet off because you want to have a lot of surface area for the velcro. Putting velcro on the bottoms of rubber feet will not hold them securely enough IMO.

In most cases, you can just carefully bend off rubber feet if you're patient and you do it slowly. Then keep 'em in a pastic bag in case you decide the sell the pedal later on. (Obviously, some feet are screwed in, too, so may need to remove screws as well.)

My EHX Deluxe Memory Man had 4 or 6 round pieces of soft velcor on the bottom. I had to use some pliers to rip these off, then I used lighter fluid to clean up the sticky gunk left behind.

For BOSS-type pedals, don't worry about the rubber bottoms. Just put the velcro directly on top of the rubber.

• Members

For BOSS-type pedals, don't worry about the rubber bottoms. Just put the velcro directly on top of the rubber.

I have several pedals that have the "Boss type" full bottom rubber pad, and my experience has been that the velcro adhesive doesn't seem to stay attached very well. I applied it to all my pedals & let them sit overnight to cure out & adhere a bit before assembling the board. I'm finding several will lose the velcro to the board strip if you don't v-e-r-y c-a-r-e-f-u-l-l-y remove the pedal. I was a little disappointed in this, since I spent the $$ on the supposedly heavy duty stuff. :cry:

• Members
I have several pedals that have the "Boss type" full bottom rubber pad, and my experience has been that the velcro adhesive doesn't seem to stay attached very well. I applied it to all my pedals & let them sit overnight to cure out & adhere a bit before assembling the board. I'm finding several will lose the velcro to the board strip if you don't v-e-r-y c-a-r-e-f-u-l-l-y remove the pedal. I was a little disappointed in this, since I spent the $$ on the supposedly heavy duty stuff.
:cry:

Bike links.

• Members
Orange candy slices dipped in black chocolate...Yummmmm. There's some white on these candies, too, but only for the sugar dusting.

I'll take these over candy corns any day!

orange_candy.jpg

I tried these once at a party. They were {censored}ing great!

• Members

I had to register here on HC after i saw your Thread die at UG.

Thats some of the absurdest things ive ever seen.

And hey, im from Sweden so there is acually some "decent".

Really man, your pedalboard is awsome, you really made me want to build my own.

Just got myself a Way Huge Swollen Pickle fuzz pedal to play with and im planning on ordering alot of pedals soon (to my Valve Junior head).

Gonna use this thread as a "guide".

Sorry for my spelling, its late and im getting tierd.. just had to make a post here.

Keep up the good work man!

• Members

where can you buy them?

Not sure. I didn't ask the girl who organized the party, and I didn't know her.

I'm sure if you can find some candied orange slices it'll be easy to make them. All you need to do is put some chocolate in a double boiler, heat till melted, dip the slices and let them dry.

• Members

Really man, your pedalboard is awsome, you really made me want to build my own.

Just got myself a Way Huge Swollen Pickle fuzz pedal to play with and im planning on ordering alot of pedals soon (to my Valve Junior head).

Gonna use this thread as a "guide".

Sorry for my spelling, its late and im getting tierd.. just had to make a post here.

Keep up the good work man!

Welcome to the forum :wave:

• Members

Hi there.

I'm gonna build the same board tomorrow lol.

I'm gonna use the bigger one with 70 cm wide.

Just one question... Won't the board look better with some hard paint on?

I'll also post pics when I finish mine... It's going to be purple I think.

• Members

Hi there.

I'm gonna build the same board tomorrow lol.

I'm gonna use the bigger one with 70 cm wide.

Just one question... Won't the board look better with some hard paint on?

I'll also post pics when I finish mine... It's going to be purple I think.

When you go to pick up the board from ikea, look around next to the section in the warehouse with the boards. They have a collection of stains, that come with free medium grit and high grit sandpaper as well as a brush, for like $3.50 or $4.00. Good deal on that...

• Members

Welcome to the forum! Glad you made it here. HC is a great place.

Yep, my thread over at UG has been officially "Closed", so it'll die a slow death now. But at least it hasn't been deleted. It'll stand as a testimony to sites that are randomized by nit-picking members.

The fact is: I'm already a member on too many sites, and it's hard to keep up with all my memberships. I had problems with the Thread Police on UG from the very first day, always for not posting something in the "correct" forum. It's time to cut my losses and focus on sites (like this one, TDPRI, and the Orange Amps forum) where there's a real community of people who can exchange info freely without getting arrested for every infraction, real or imagined.

Over here, if you post something to the wrong place, it gets MOVED, and there's a "MOVED..." link that takes you to the original thread. Wow! What a concept! You also don't get lectured about the mistake by 17 people and your build thread isn't polluted by those same 17 people calling you a jerk. And this whole notion of "Reporting" someone that's so popular over at Ultimate Guitar is unheard of over here. If a thread gets out of hand, then the mods in the forum will take care of it on their own.

Long Live Harmony Central! :thu:

Archived